Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Default best way to remove dried Gorilla grip...

without damaging paint. Any Ideas?
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"Everything we have fought for has been lost, and everything we fought against, we have become...."

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Do you mean the glue?
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Yessir... that's the stuff.
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"Everything we have fought for has been lost, and everything we fought against, we have become...."

Ok, it's a polyurethane based product that cures with moisture. Absolutely horrible glue. The only way I know to remove it is to scrape or peel. If it's on a non-porous surface try to lift an outer edge with something like an Exacto knife or razor blade. Then carefully peel it off.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (26)

That's the only way I have been able to remove it. Razor blade it or chisel it. In one case, I sanded it but I don't think that will work for you in your application. Gotta remember this for the next project...this glue expands as it cures, so less is more. Also, the removal of the bulk of excess glue is messy but best done just before hardening [when it has the consistency of a booger or soft rubber band]. This will make the excess glue removal using the razor blade easier.

If this is for your amplifier, cut first around or at the aluminum plate down to the paint itself. You may try to angle the blade to where the blade goes underneath the plate, hiding any potential and likely scratches from the blade. Once the bulk of the glue has been separated from the aluminum and their is no connection between the glue that you want to remain and the glue you want to remove, then carefully lift the outer edge and remove.

Make sure the blade is brand new and that it has a reinforced side. You may want to try to add some WD-40 to the blade prior to prying. Also, keep the blade as close to the paint as possible [like at a 3-4 degree angle when prying]. One more thing. Take masking tape and apply it as close to [but not touching] the glue removal area as possible to prevent any further scratching.
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

"The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction". - Kenneth Swauger

Quote Originally Posted by nooshinjohn View Post
    Thanks!.. I am mounting the side panels
    Tell me you didn't use Gorilla glue on your amps.

Jesse, I am hoping not but that's the first thing that came to mind this morning.
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

"The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction". - Kenneth Swauger

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    Tell me you didn't use Gorilla glue on your amps.
    heavy duty double sided tape and silicone for the side panels... no Gorilla glue.

I used the glue on a curio cabinet that was slightly damaged when we moved.

*wipes brow*

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Whoa!....Use citrus based cleaner if the base surface will allow. I cant guarantee for your application but its worked for me in the past. Good luck!

That's almost like Bondo so if you could sand it to shape maybe?

Thread Information