Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Default Metallica 'Black Album' Hi Rez on HDTracks

I was browsing the "50 must have albums" list on HDTracks this morning and saw the Black album on the list in 24/96. Has anyone listened to it, know if it's any good?

That list they've generated is kinda worthless because some of the stuff on there I KNOW is bad and not well recorded, so it kinda invalidates the list in general and I don't know what to trust on there.

If anyone has any input on this album I'd appreciate, don't wanna blow $18 if it's not any good.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Posted too soon, shoulda googled first, found my answer:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/co...racks-Download

Summary, it's not very good
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I've got it on disc. DVD-A I think. I like the mix and have enjoyed it a lot over the years.
    My DIY HT
    RT3000p fronts
    CS1000p center
    F/X1000 side surrounds
    RT3000p sats rear surrounds
    Polk RT35 height channel
    2 x SVS PB12/Plus 2's
    Onkyo PR-SC5507 Controller
    Sherbourne 7/2100 200 x 7 Amp
    Sherbourne TST4 100 x 2 Amp
    PS-3 BD
    HD-A35 HD DVD
    Oppo DV-980H for hirez audio
    Technics SL-D2 TT
    DVDO VP30 with SDI input
    HDFury for HDMI to RGBHV conversion
    NEC 10PG CRT projector
    Draper AT1200 acoustically transparent screen
    Berkline 090 electric recliners with Aura Bass Shakers

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Wow.Great information.I was just looking at this on HDTracks last night wondering the same thing.
    Weird.

Member Sales Rating: (14)

HD tracks is hot , getting Metallica is even hotter. What are you currently using as a DAC and player?
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Member Sales Rating: (36)

Generally, HD Tracks is awesome. I paid 10Audio's Jerry S. to copy some vinyl for me on to HiRez 192/24. It is amazing! I have no need for the 24/96, including this album. As an aside, the good ol' Black Album CD is pretty well recorded to begin with.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

I like the Black album a lot, but sadly it's pretty much unlistenable these days. Everytime I try to sit down and listen I don't get very far because of the very poor mastering. I can't imagine having in HD would make a bit of difference.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Member Sales Rating: (31)

The HD Tracks and DVD-A versions are definitely cleaner sounding than the original, but there's a little too much emphasis on the treble.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Member Sales Rating: (36)

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    I like the Black album a lot, but sadly it's pretty much unlistenable these days. Everytime I try to sit down and listen I don't get very far because of the very poor mastering. I can't imagine having in HD would make a bit of difference.

H9
    I'm going to have to dig out my CD and check. I don't remember it being that bad. I also remember Master of Puppets being a great sounding album . . . maybe I'm mixing the two.

I dunno, the Black album has no dynamic range and everything is squashed and sits in the mids and treble. I haven't pulled it out in years for that reason. I'll relisten too when I get a chance.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

The general concensus seems to be that the regular CD sounds better than this new hir rez version
    Main HT

Bedroom System

Office Rig

Quote Originally Posted by AsSiMiLaTeD View Post
    The general concensus seems to be that the regular CD sounds better than this new hir rez version
    Wow, the Hi Rez must really stink then.

What did they do? Just upsample the original 44K/16 bit files, or do actual high res files exist?

My guess is a vinyl rip, but I don't know
    Main HT

Bedroom System

Office Rig

My little desk top system is not in the league of a lot of you guys but i find this recording to be pretty good. I know that my hearing ability at 53 has reduced especially in the high frequency range so a slightly "bright" recording suits me plus i'm not into thunderous bass ( my living arrangements do not allow for it either) below is a screen capture from audacity and it shows no clipping and has a lot of high frequency recorded.

Name:  Screen shot 2013-06-22 at 09.35.12AM.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  350.8 KB

metallica is such a great band, i have never seen them live.
    love master of puppets and most of the other songs.

I saw Faith-Guns-Metallica in San Diego in the very early 90'S. What a concert! I know I am not mix master b but I enjoy the black album in it's original recording. No problems here.
    Sda2.3 (Tweets, Spikes)
    Sda1C (Tweets, Sonicaps, Mills, Boards, Spikes, Rings, Dynamat)
    Rta11T (Tweets, Sonicaps, Mills, Spikes, Rings, Dynamat)
    5jr+ (Tweets, Spikes)
    CS350ls (Sonicap, Spikes)
    12" DXi x 2 (Dayton Plate. Slot ported Custom boxes)

Sunfire TGP3, Sunfire SIG 425x5, Oppo BDP-93, Belkin PF60, Sony PS3 Slim 320 gig, Technics SL-1360
    DH Labs Prostudio XLR-Toslink-Hdmi,Peps for the Oppo, amp, pre and subs)

Since read that a lot of that high frequency can be digital noise so may be not so good as i thought.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

I have an old copy of the original Black CD, I always noticed how the mix always seemed so compressed, especially Lars double bass kick drums.

Thread Information