Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Well, my amp came in early. Therefore, a proper review will take place today.

I really feel it's a waste to use a 5 channel amp and not use any of the ICE amps so I will be using a 2 channel and let the SC-35 take care of my small speakers. The RTi A7 surrounds and the CSi A6.

If this AVR is anything like most others, there will be more power sent to the remaining channels with the RTi A9 fronts removed. Maybe 10-20 watts more for the remaining three speakers.

I have to pick up some audio cables for the amp.
    Fronts: Polk RTi A9
    Center: Polk CSI A6
    Rears: Polk RTi A7
    Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-35 (140 watts x 7)
    Amplifier: Adcom GFA-555 Mk.II (200 watt @ 8 ohms)
    Sub: Polk DSW PRO 500 (10 inch, 200 Watt)
    TV: Samsung 59 inch 3D Plasma 600 Hz PN59D7000
    Sources: Samsung BD-D6700 3D Blu-ray Player, DirecTV, PS3, iPhone 4 and IPod Classic with Apple Lossless Tracks

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Quote Originally Posted by AsSiMiLaTeD View Post
    I disagree I guess. I listened to the 25 and 27 side by side and could not hear a difference, I would assume the same would be true with the other series as well. I realize there is a difference, but if I blindfolded you I doubt you'd be able to hear a difference...

Obviously you work with these things all day, but to my ears (and many other apparently) I jsut don't hear a diference.
    Sound quality is near identical I do agree , I was more talking about features. In my world of using these receivers for a theater and maybe 2 other room off of it , the 5 series strips a few features that the 7 series has.
    Example: The SC-35 has 3 zones. Zone 2 can be powered or line level with volume control. Zone 3 is only line level and only fixed output. No volume control. You must use a external volume control to use zone 3. Stupid but it's how they meet the lower price point.
    Now the SC-37 has the same exact ability but now has the ability to control volume with zone 3. Reason it's the flagship of this line and nothing got taken from it.
    If you read closely the 2 receivers side by side , you will notice a few things that got taken away from the SC-35 from the SC-37. The SC-35 is exactly that , it's a stripped down version of the SC-37. Now most of these little things can be easily missed by someone like me but someone else may not need any of the missing features.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Member Sales Rating: (19)

Anybody doing the SC-55 and or SC-57's?
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.

Quote Originally Posted by SRTer View Post
    Well, my amp came in early. Therefore, a proper review will take place today.

I really feel it's a waste to use a 5 channel amp and not use any of the ICE amps so I will be using a 2 channel and let the SC-35 take care of my small speakers. The RTi A7 surrounds and the CSi A6.

If this AVR is anything like most others, there will be more power sent to the remaining channels with the RTi A9 fronts removed. Maybe 10-20 watts more for the remaining three speakers.

I have to pick up some audio cables for the amp.
    I'd like to hear your comments vs the amp and ICe power driving your Rtia9's. I have driven the Rtia7's and RTia9's with SC-05 and SC-07 receivers with stellar results. I have run full 7.1 RTIa series speakers using those 7 and 9's as mains and the system really kicked ass. Pay attention to dynamics when you add your given amp for the mains. You might be surprised how close it really is.

Ill be waiting on your comments after a complete shootout.

Have fun
    Dan

So John, IIRC, they found the mic for it? If not, I'd be happy to mail you mine.

And welcome to the ICE club. There's not much the SC-37 can't do. And I love the iPhone app. Being able to control it anywhere in my house is golden.
    - Computer Rig -
    YAΘIN MS-20L, polkaudio RT5

- Main Rig -
    Pioneer SC-37, DIY Statements, Samsung 52" LCD

Quote Originally Posted by engtaz View Post
    Anybody doing the SC-55 and or SC-57's?
    I plan on very soon a full SC-07 vs the SC-57 shootout, This should happen next week when they come in.
    Dan

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Quote Originally Posted by JimAckley View Post
    So John, IIRC, they found the mic for it? If not, I'd be happy to mail you mine.

And welcome to the ICE club. There's not much the SC-37 can't do. And I love the iPhone app. Being able to control it anywhere in my house is golden.
    They found the entire owners kit, but no remote, so I bought a Harmony 1100 at dealer cost.

It does everything, and so much better than the factory one that would have cost more than that.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Quote Originally Posted by mantis View Post
    I mist have missed something somewhere , what speakers are you driving and rant the SC out of gas?

Magnepans...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

I'd like to hear your comments vs the amp and ICe power driving your Rtia9's. I have driven the Rtia7's and RTia9's with SC-05 and SC-07 receivers with stellar results. I have run full 7.1 RTIa series speakers using those 7 and 9's as mains and the system really kicked ass. Pay attention to dynamics when you add your given amp for the mains. You might be surprised how close it really is.

Have fun
    I found that the SC-07 was fine driving the Monitor 70's, certainly better than the other Pioneer AVR's I have, and ok but not great with the RTi12's. The external amps in my signature significantly improved the midrange and bass to my ear.

I use the internal amps of the SC-07 to drive a Polk Surroundbar50 for TV listening, but use the external amps with the RTi12's or LSi25's when I want the full sound experience.

Main HT/2 ch:
    Pioneer SC-07, BDP-05FD, Emotiva XPA-5 x 2, XPA-1 x 2,
    Polk Audio LSi25, RTi12 x 2, LSi15 x 4, LSiC x 2, PSW1000 x 4,

MB HT/ 2 ch:
    LG 47LM5800, Pioneer SC-1523, BDP-23FD, Sony BDP-S790, Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-5,
    Polk Audio LSi25,15, CSi5, LSiFX, PSW505 x 4

Listening Room 2 ch:
    McIntosh MC122, MC162, MC202, C15, C41, C42, MA6500, MA6900, MCD201, MCD301, MR85, MX130, MX134
    Emotiva RSP-2, RPA-1, ERC-2
    Adcom GCD 750, GFP 750, GFA 5802
    Polk Audio LSi7,9, 15

Member Sales Rating: (58)

I'm also not in the camp that AVR's all suck as I've owned a couple with serious enough guts that they didn't sweat on heavy loads. B&K & Rotel to name just two.

Quote Originally Posted by nooshinjohn View Post
    Magnepans...
    Thats right , get an amp , they tend to pull to much power man. We have em all over the store and unless we have a good amp on them , they don't perform well. I have not tried an SC ICe on them but I don't see that going well.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by dorokusai View Post
    I'm also not in the camp that AVR's all suck as I've owned a couple with serious enough guts that they didn't sweat on heavy loads. B&K & Rotel to name just two.
    It's simply just isn't a true statement rather then just a personal opinion. Receivers do a very good job if mated correctly. Rotel and B&K both along with Cambridge and NAD might as well throw in McIntosh as these are all music first receivers. They can compete with all entry level separates.
    The SC elite receivers are the first Elite or Japanese ( Excluding Rotel) that I felt compete with Separates for sound quality.
    Dan

Member Sales Rating: (4)

I don't think he meant it that way.
    Nope, Jesse absolutely didn't. But, people can read it that way obviously.

Greg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Have fun
    The post is up. I hope you like reading it. I type it all on the iPhone 4.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123202
    Fronts: Polk RTi A9
    Center: Polk CSI A6
    Rears: Polk RTi A7
    Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-35 (140 watts x 7)
    Amplifier: Adcom GFA-555 Mk.II (200 watt @ 8 ohms)
    Sub: Polk DSW PRO 500 (10 inch, 200 Watt)
    TV: Samsung 59 inch 3D Plasma 600 Hz PN59D7000
    Sources: Samsung BD-D6700 3D Blu-ray Player, DirecTV, PS3, iPhone 4 and IPod Classic with Apple Lossless Tracks

Quote Originally Posted by SRTer View Post
    The post is up. I hope you like reading it. I type it all on the iPhone 4.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123202
    Nice review and I enjoyed reading it. I love my iPhone 4 and I post a lot from it.
    Dan

Thread Information