Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Quote Originally Posted by Toolfan66 View Post
    What color?
    What are my choices?

Is there a shape you would like it to be?
    First choice is round. Square or rectangular is ok if that is easier to make.

The mounting screw holes on the wall plates I made are 1-7/8" apart. If you can match that spacing, it would be great.
    Last edited by DarqueKnight; 01-28-2012 at 06:08 PM.
    "Polk SDA-SRSs are hopelessly out of date both sonically and technologically... I see no value whatsoever in older SDA speakers."~Audio Asylum Member

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Round it is..

Is the 1.875 center to center on the holes? Also will .250 holes be ok or do you need them to be a different size?

Colors? I probably can come close to matching any color you would like.

Quote Originally Posted by thejck View Post
    How do u pull the old drivers off if you used mortite. They are a pia.
    I made a small prying bar from a 8-1/2" piece of coathanger wire. I flattened the prying end a little bit (reduced thickness about half) to make it easier to get under the rim hole.

I still use the pry bar with my Armacelled drivers. Of course, the Armacell does not cause as tight a fit as the Mortite, but the Amacelled drivers don't always fall right out after unscrewing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SDA Driver Prybar-s.JPG‎
Views:	32
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	65531   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDA Driver Prybar Tip-s.JPG‎
Views:	30
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	65532  
    "Polk SDA-SRSs are hopelessly out of date both sonically and technologically... I see no value whatsoever in older SDA speakers."~Audio Asylum Member

Member Sales Rating: (16)

How do u pull the old drivers off if you used mortite. They are a pia.
    I pulled the crossover and pushed from the back side then worked my way up.. I don't miss mortite at all..
    Mortite has been in place over 2 years now and I've taken the speakers apart twice, never a single issue. Actually the Mortite stays in place on the back of the drivers. Not sure why you are having issues.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Is the 1.875 center to center on the holes?
    Yes.

Also will .250 holes be ok or do you need them to be a different size?
    I had to take one of the screws out and match the plate hole to my drill bits. The holes are 3/16". With the large flathead screws I am using, 1/4" holes would work.

Colors? I probably can come close to matching any color you would like.
    Black.

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Consider it done!!

Thanks. Send me a PM with cost and shipping.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    Mortite has been in place over 2 years now and I've taken the speakers apart twice, never a single issue. Actually the Mortite stays in place on the back of the drivers. Not sure why you are having issues.

H9
    One of my braces had come loose and i had to pull a driver to get to it. I struggled with the driver and ended up having to use a screw driver to pry on it which nicked the wood slightly and I am not too trilled about it. I ended up using a screw that was able to grip the screw hole on the basket and use that to pry. I am not sure what damage this has caused and I have had a really frustrating day cause of it.

When I installed the mortite I pushed it onto the basket and then screwed it onto the wood. When I pulled it off half of it was on the basket and the rest on the wood. I even had used poly urethane on the wood before I installed the mortite to prevent it sticking.
    I am using Larrys rings as well and maybe that is what is causing the sticking.
    Last edited by thejck; 01-28-2012 at 08:57 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

going to try this in the morning.
    Isnt the Armacell only sticky on one side?
    You said you cut the tape at a 1/4 inch did you end up getting 4 strips from each section or was there some cutting waste.

Quote Originally Posted by DarqueKnight View Post
    I made a small prying bar from a 8-1/2" piece of coathanger wire. I flattened the prying end a little bit (reduced thickness about half) to make it easier to get under the rim hole.

I still use the pry bar with my Armacelled drivers. Of course, the Armacell does not cause as tight a fit as the Mortite, but the Amacelled drivers don't always fall right out after unscrewing.

going to try this in the morning. Isnt the Armacell only sticky on one side?
    Yes, the Armacell is only sticky on one side, but some of my drivers have a snug fit which requires some extra effort to remove them. I made the small end of the prying bar 3/8 inch long.

One clarification: I call this a "pry bar", but I don't use a prying action where the flat end is inserted in a driver's rim hole and the bar is pressed downward to pry the rim up. The flat end is inserted in the rim hole 1/8" to 1/4" and the tool is pulled outward.

You said you cut the tape at a 1/4 inch did you end up getting 4 strips from each section or was there some cutting waste.
    I cut 1/2 inch strips. The Armacell is 2 inches wide, so this allowed four 1/2 inch strips per section:

Quote Originally Posted by DarqueKnight View Post
    Marks 1/2" apart were made on the Amaflex's backing at regular intervals. Ink and pencil marks did not easily adhere to Armaflex's yellow wax paper backing, therefore a fine point ink pen was used to punch holes and then the pen and straight edge (24" drafting T-square and 48" carpenter's level) were used to scribe cutting guide lines.

Member Sales Rating: (9)

Old thread, great info.

Thread Information