Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Drenis View Post
    2. Whenever I access MCACC, It's impossible to adjust EQ as my input sound is via HDMI and the VSX-23 in no way allows pass-through so I'm SOL for EQ adjusting. I'm betting running dedicated TOSHLINK to receiver for music would solve this and allow adjustments.

Now, with that... I could be doing setups wrong. I've spent maybe a solid hour and a half with the program but feel maybe I need to explore more options because you're not the first person I've read who was happy with their results.
    As for a listening to your audio and adjusting the EQ at the same time, this will not happen with a Toshlink or HDMI. There is no way to do that period. Yes, that sucks big time.

My method is that I listen to my speakers on different songs after hearing on many audio setup and headphones. I know what they should sound like.

I adjust the sound after listening to the PRUR DIRECT mode which has not sound processing in it period. Then in normally lower the ferquencies in the trebal ranges because the RTi A speakers are bright naturally and have been review as such with exception of the RTi A3's reviewed in Sound and Vision.

Then I listen again and turn the system up high (-8dB to 0dB) to see if the trebal becomes harsh or not. After that, I go back and into the EQ and make the proper adjustment. Then listen to the new curve again with DIRECT mode (which keep the EQ and not much else) against the PURE DIRECT (which strips all manner of sound processing).

I repeat the same on the bass and mid range for the RTi A9's. I find that the RTi A9's can use a increase in the bass frequencies and decrease in the treble frequencies. The mid range freqs are normally fine with a flat curve and there is a review which showed measurements and listening demo which said the same in Home Theater Mag.

This is how I tune the 2 channel audio in full range curve and save it in one of the presets. After a couple days of listening and coming back and forth to it, I'm able to create a nice sound that is pleasing to MY ears.

I absolutely love the MCACC because I can do what I want. I would like 2 improvements.

Separate crossover setting for all speakers.
    To be able to adjust the EQ while listening to material.

Not needed, but a sub EQ would make it as good as I would ever need.
    Fronts: Polk RTi A9
    Center: Polk CSI A6
    Rears: Polk RTi A7
    Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-35 (140 watts x 7)
    Amplifier: Adcom GFA-555 Mk.II (200 watt @ 8 ohms)
    Sub: Polk DSW PRO 500 (10 inch, 200 Watt)
    TV: Samsung 59 inch 3D Plasma 600 Hz PN59D7000
    Sources: Samsung BD-D6700 3D Blu-ray Player, DirecTV, PS3, iPhone 4 and IPod Classic with Apple Lossless Tracks

Quote Originally Posted by SRTer View Post
    I absolutely love the MCACC because I can do what I want. I would like 2 improvements.

Separate crossover setting for all speakers.
    To be able to adjust the EQ while listening to material.

Not needed, but a sub EQ would make it as good as I would ever need.
    Those are the only things about my new Elite that really bug me, plus there's no hdmi overlay for volume or listening mode. I think when you spend that much for good equipment that's not too much to ask for. Coming from an Onkyo 3008 with Audyssey mulitq xt32 it's not even in the same ballpark. I like the sound, power and the reliability of Pioneer better than the Onkyo though.
    Theater Room: Pioneer Elite SC-35, RTi12's, Csi5, Fxi5's, Fxi3's, ED A5-350 sub, Optoma HD20, 92'' Elite Screen, Sony BDPS790, Xbox One, APC H15, MIT Exp 2 SC's, Pepster PC's

Living Room: Martin Logan ESL's, Peachtree Audio iNova, Zu Mission SC's & IC's, Pepster PC, Sharp Aquos 60'', AEX

Bedroom: Panasonic AX200U projector, 110" screen

Outdoor: Polk Atrium 5's, Yamaha Rxv371

As for a listening to your audio and adjusting the EQ at the same time, this will not happen with a Toshlink or HDMI. There is no way to do that period. Yes, that sucks big time.
    I'm curious though because previously before I built my HTPC to handle ALL audio/video through HDMI via my GPU, I ran a HDMI line to an assignable input for video and a Toshlink from my sound card to an assignable input and I was able to access MCACC without sound interruption. I just never tried to change any EQ settings while it was playing.

I'm going to experiment tonight possibly and report back. Because in all honesty, It's a PITA to try and properly adjust an EQ where you can't hear the results as your making adjustments.

I wonder if this is rectified in 2011 series Elite receivers (VSX-21/23's were 2010 with HDMI 1.3).

Quote Originally Posted by B Run View Post
    Those are the only things about my new Elite that really bug me, plus there's no hdmi overlay for volume or listening mode. I think when you spend that much for good equipment that's not too much to ask for. Coming from an Onkyo 3008 with Audyssey mulitq xt32 it's not even in the same ballpark. I like the sound, power and the reliability of Pioneer better than the Onkyo though.
    I here that the Audyssey program is not as flexible with adjustments. Something about not being able to adjust everything if you run the calibration.

I have not had a receiver with Audyssey but I will tell you this. The Harmon/Kardon AVR254 automatic calibration does not touch the MCACC, period.
    Sources: Samsung BD-D6700 3D Blu-ray Player, DirecTV, PS3, iPhone 4 and IPod Classic with Apple Lossless Tracks

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I know in my elite vsx21 you can adjust the eq settings on the fly, whats the problem ?

If your having SQ issues, playing music from a computer straight into a receiver isn't getting you anywhere. Just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    I know in my elite vsx21 you can adjust the eq settings on the fly, whats the problem ?

If your having SQ issues, playing music from a computer straight into a receiver isn't getting you anywhere. Just my .02
    With the same HDMI input source uninterrupted?

Can you elaborate on that? A computer, if setup to do so, is transmitting a digital file source through a digital cable to the receiver for decoding. Isn't the rule of thumb to keep the source as original as possible to the final destination for playback?

I'm going to experiment tonight possibly and report back. Because in all honesty, It's a PITA to try and properly adjust an EQ where you can't hear the results as your making adjustments.
    I just listen and listen. Make notes on certain songs saying to increase or decrease certain freqs till the sound is good and low and high volume.

Just write down the whole EQ band setting from one of your auto cals, then go under a new preset that has no auto cal on it, so everything will be flat with no attenuation, s-wave, nothing. Totally unchanged.

I input the EQ curve one frequency at a time on the main L/R speakers to match the EQ curve from the auto calibration. Listen, then adjust from there to bring a sound that is pleasing to your ears a low and high volume.

This works for me. Try it and let me know what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    My SC-35 stops the iPod or my iPhone when adjusting the EQ. The song continues but the sound is replaced with a noise tone that the MCACC uses to do the auto calibration.

My old Pioneer Elite VSX-23 my have operated the same way but I can't remember.
    Last edited by SRTer; 08-23-2011 at 04:33 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

With the same HDMI input source uninterrupted?

Can you elaborate on that? A computer, if setup to do so, is transmitting a digital file source through a digital cable to the receiver for decoding. Isn't the rule of thumb to keep the source as original as possible to the final destination for playback?
    All digital files are not created equal. For instance, a MP3 file,while digital,doesn't compare to flac,Wav, or even MP4.
    Also, how your receiver handles a digital file is also of concern. The old saying of "garbage in,garbage out" applies.

I can play the exact same song in a digital format 24/96, and play the exact song again on a lesser format, a cd, and the cd will kick it's ass every time. That being just through the receiver,and a cdp for comparison. So source does matter. That said, to get better SQ from a computer, you'll need one of the higher digital formats, and a dac, to come close to a cdp's performance. Thats my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt.

I just listen and listen. Make notes on certain songs saying to increase or decrease certain freqs till the sound is good and low and high volume.

Just write down the whole EQ band setting from one of your auto cals, then go under a new preset that has no auto cal on it, so everything will be flat with no attenuation, s-wave, nothing. Totally unchanged.

I input the EQ curve one frequency at a time on the main L/R speakers to match the EQ curve from the auto calibration. Listen, then adjust from there to bring a sound that is pleasing to your ears a low and high volume.

This works for me. Try it and let me know what you think.
    I took your advice and spent some time in the manual MCACC section tweaking some things. My biggest complaint was dialogue was very shallow and empty or hollow sounding i guess. I tried symmetry vs all channels adj vs front allign, then manually tweaked my center eq. It's not 100% of the way there but it's definitely better than it was. I'll keep trying, and I appreciate the advice.
    Theater Room: Pioneer Elite SC-35, RTi12's, Csi5, Fxi5's, Fxi3's, ED A5-350 sub, Optoma HD20, 92'' Elite Screen, Sony BDPS790, Xbox One, APC H15, MIT Exp 2 SC's, Pepster PC's

Living Room: Martin Logan ESL's, Peachtree Audio iNova, Zu Mission SC's & IC's, Pepster PC, Sharp Aquos 60'', AEX

My biggest complaint was dialogue was very shallow and empty or hollow sounding i guess. It's not 100% of the way there but it's definitely better than it was. I'll keep trying, and I appreciate the advice.
    There is magic in MCACC calibration tool. The set it a forget it mind state can ruin your experience with the MCACC.

I learned this when switching from my four RTi8's to RTi A9's and A7's. The MCACC sounded absolutely great with the RTi8's and CSi A6 without only one problem. If you do the auto calibration, it will set all speakers to LARGE (full range) and then EQ the center with too much bass in the 63Hz slider region. You should always check for this because it happen without fail everytime the cal was ran. RTi8's or RTi A5's should be ran with a crossover as well as the CSi A6 which will disable the 63Hz slider. Therefore, you will never have to deal with too much bass in the center channel.

Once I got the RTi A9's, the auto calibration made them sound lean on the bass which is where this speaker excels over the RTi A5. So I had to add a +4.0 in the 63Hz slider and sloped the neighboring sliders nicely to the mid range which is almost flat as a ruler (on or near 0). This really sounded best for my music listening pleasure and even better when watching movies because the mains now help shake the room as well as the powered sub.

I fine that the MCACC is great on speakers without as much full range potential as the RTi A9's but it was perfect on the RTi A5 type speaker.

If you want, I could post my EQ to see if you like the way it sounds as you experiment. I know we have different rooms, but it could be a nice starting point.

After you put the time in, you will be shocked at how the adjustablilty allows you to fine tune to your liking.
    Last edited by SRTer; 08-24-2011 at 04:22 AM.

Yeah that'd be good, I know the Csi5 and Csi A6 are pretty close in specs, everything is crossed at 80hz, and the towers and rears sound great. When I manually checked the eq for my center the 125hz was like -4.5 and the bass was sloped down from the mids, the treble was a little too high as well. I adjusted it to almost flat and it has a much fuller sound with vocals now.

Yeah that'd be good, I know the Csi5 and Csi A6 are pretty close in specs, everything is crossed at 80hz, and the towers and rears sound great. When I manually checked the eq for my center the 125hz was like -4.5 and the bass was sloped down from the mids, the treble was a little too high as well. I adjusted it to almost flat and it has a much fuller sound with vocals now.
    Well, here we go.

I set the EQ for the center off of music. This may not work for your room or your taste. Disclaimer out of the way...

Now, the curve.

125Hz = +1.0, 250Hz = +0.5, 500Hz = 0.0, 1kHz = +1.0, 2kHz = -1.0,

4kHz = -0.5, 8kHz = -1.0, 16k = -2.5

This curve is with a 80Hz crossover so there is not a 63Hz selection. If you are running your center (LARGE) full range, I test 63Hz @ 0.0 and lower which sounded best and will not damage the speaker. However, it seems to muddy the mid range vocals a bit.

You can see that some of the treble is taken out of the center CSi A6. Not only my ears have found the center is little bright beyond my likes, but the reviewer in Home Theater Mag felt the same. I won't get rid of a speaker for that, I will just adjust the EQ for it. However, i know some people would rather buy a different speaker.

I have applied similar curves to my towers. It has taken some time but I feel the results are great. The MCACC lets you experiment till your tired.

Hope this work for you or get you in a ballpark of a sound you will like.
    Last edited by SRTer; 08-24-2011 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Grammar, typing on iPhone.

I'll give it a try tomorrow, thanks for taking the time to post that!

So I tested out my theory and just to clarify, when using Toshlink input that's assigned, you can access MCACC and music continues to play. However, EQ still knocks out music for static noise. But speaker/cross over changes while music is playing is nice.

So I tested out my theory and just to clarify, when using Toshlink input that's assigned, you can access MCACC and music continues to play. However, EQ still knocks out music for static noise. But speaker/cross over changes while music is playing is nice.
    This is also the same for using the iPod connection with a iPod or iPhone. The part that sucks is the static noise once in the EQ. I wish the noise was optional.

This is also the same for using the iPod connection with a iPod or iPhone. The part that sucks is the static noise once in the EQ. I wish the noise was optional.
    Makes me wish I didn't sell my Technics EQ. I could have connected it between my AVR and Amp. I wish AVR's today still have a Monitor loop integrated or an option to run an external EQ.

Thread Information