Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Default NAD Integrated--filter caps, crapped out!

I posted on this a while back but this is really surprising for you NAD aficionados. I bought a used NAD integrated on Audiogon about a year ago and started to have problems with it playing above a quarter on the volume dial--immediate distortion.

Well, I finally got it to a repair guy who told me my filter caps were 'bone dry', and this on a unit manufactured in 2006??? Seriously! Bad caps on a fairly recent unit? I like the NAD sound but my experiences so far do not bespeak quality. I've seen other units crap out early as well--well not 'this' early!

cnh

Member Sales Rating: (10)

That's no good. I assume you're getting it repaired? I wonder if this is a random thing or is indicative of QC issues in that particular vinatage of NAD.

I've never heard the phrase "bone dry" used to describe caps gone bad before (in my admittedly limited experience). Heard of leaking caps, swollen caps... I'm interested in hearing how your repair process goes and how things turn out.

Member Sales Rating: (28)

If I recall correctly, that was in the era of many bad caps throughout the electronics industry. Wasn't it due to some industrial espionage gone wrong? Stolen electroyte formula that was incomplete? Something to that effect...

NAD has never been known to use anything above the cheapest capacitors. I've had to re-cap just about everyone I come across.

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Don't know about the 'espionage'! But, yea, I'm going to repair it. It's a nice sounding unit and the caps for it aren't really that much, nor are the repairs. Which leads me to wonder why NAD would use cheap caps to begin with. They're not that expensive!

cnh

Member Sales Rating: (0)

as far as what i'm looking for is Surge suppression, filter line noise, filter surrounding appliances and pops when fleuresents turn on. Not to mention to condition the lines for amps, avr, & other gear as well as protect them. Living in NC I think I have decent power (no brown-outs etc....) aside from the occasional loss or surge. Dont know much about frequency coming in etc.. Also don't know what I don't know if that makes sense.

Trying to match(compliment) a power manager/conditioner/surge protector with the system i have.

Also 8 plugs could work ok but it would be better w/10 or more
    Bonus Room:
    Pioneer Elite VSX-32
    RTi A7's / CSi A6
    DSW PRO 600 sub

Emotiva XPA-5 & Interconnects
    Sony Surrounds (rears) - replacing soon

Samsung BD-C5500
    Panamax M5300, Xbox360, ...& more coming

Living Room:
    Samsung 58" PLasma
    Monoprice in-ceiling speakers
    old sony receiver (replacing soon)

Hi Myke,

I think I understand what you're saying. But this isn't the place for it.

Start another thread on that topic and we'll be happy to join in!

cnh

My little NAD integrated is back with minty 'new' caps (2 X 15,000 microfarads worth--and a few other things) and the LSI-7s are loving it!

Have to hand it to my repair guy. Did a great job and at a 'reasonable' price!

An evening of Jolida, NAD and LSI-7s may be on tap!

cnh

Thread Information