Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Default TC Sounds Custom Pro 18" Driver (Ferrite Magnet) with Dual 18" VMP Passive Radiators

Well Guys, this project has been a LONG time in the making, but it is the first time I have posted it here. I have a thread going over on HT Shack, but I thought you folks might be interested as well. These are a custom build based on a custom TC Sounds Pro 18" driver with a Ferrite motor instead of Neodymium. It will also have dual 18" TC Sounds VMP Passive Radiators. Here are some pics. I just finished gluing the first enclosure tonight. It will be nice to have one for the LSiM 703 Demo I am having at my house. Anyways, here are some pics, let me know if you guys have any questions.

Don

Living Room: Adcom GFP-750 (Upgraded), Squeezebox Touch, Oppo BDP-83, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Parasound HCA-3500 (Upgraded), SDA SRS 2 P/B (Gimpod, Sonicaps, & Mills)

Theater: Denon 4311ci, Oppo BDP-93, Parasound HCA-2205+HCA-2200II, Polk LSi9, LSiC, LSiFX, LSi7, Custom 18" TC Sounds sub with 2 18" PR, Sharp XV-Z12000, Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M (isf Enabled)

Bedroom: HK AVR354, Pioneer DV-47a, Parasound HCA-1500a, Polk LSi9

Member Sales Rating: (26)

I fear for your walls.
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

"The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction". - Kenneth Swauger

Quote Originally Posted by treitz3 View Post
    I fear for your walls.
    The really scary thing is in my home theater I will be running a pair of these and a single sealed 18" TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 all said and done. I may be a little crazy, but the SQ out of these is top notch too. They will be driven by a Crown CE4000.

Don
    Living Room: Adcom GFP-750 (Upgraded), Squeezebox Touch, Oppo BDP-83, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Parasound HCA-3500 (Upgraded), SDA SRS 2 P/B (Gimpod, Sonicaps, & Mills)

Theater: Denon 4311ci, Oppo BDP-93, Parasound HCA-2205+HCA-2200II, Polk LSi9, LSiC, LSiFX, LSi7, Custom 18" TC Sounds sub with 2 18" PR, Sharp XV-Z12000, Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M (isf Enabled)

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Nice.Output capability shouldnt be an issue.

Member Sales Rating: (27)

Awesome! Love it!!
    www.Vr3Mods.com ///// www.Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro

Member Sales Rating: (41)

Looking good.

All I gotta say is Getter Done!

I want to listen to one (if not both ) on the 17th.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

They look wicked. Hoping they slam the HT. Awesome work!!
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!! !

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...p?userid=73580

Member Sales Rating: (31)

Impressive!

Good idea using tape/paper to keep the glue off the rest of your cabinet. :D
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Member Sales Rating: (58)

Very good bracing and internal ideas.

I am just curious as to why you decided to not have the driver flush on the bottom. I am sure its something you considered, just curious as to why the decision not to.

The driver is actually on the front... It is just on its back for gluing. I didn't flush mount it because it would have been another piece on the baffle. It is already double thick, but triple thick I just didn't deem necessary for a non sealed configuration. I wanted the thickness for mounting the driver. I also might change out the driver in the future, maybe, maybe not, but I didn't want to be limited. And I kind of like the "non-flush" mount look.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by dcmartinpc View Post
    The driver is actually on the front... It is just on its back for gluing. I didn't flush mount it because it would have been another piece on the baffle. It is already double thick, but triple thick I just didn't deem necessary for a non sealed configuration. I wanted the thickness for mounting the driver. I also might change out the driver in the future, maybe, maybe not, but I didn't want to be limited. And I kind of like the "non-flush" mount look.

Don
    Based on the wattage your planning on throwing at this thing. I dont think you can have ANYTHING thick enough lol....

Just ask Vr3MxStyler2k3 about his VPMS Larger sub build. He was ~2 inches thick and STILL was having issues with the wood buckling (see post). He was planning on running a 2 Crown XLS2000's thought so that might make a massive difference.

Member Sales Rating: (9)

Beautiful bracing, it's a shame you won't be able to see it once the drivers are in place. What did you use to make them?
    Wris****ch--->Crisco

Quote Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
    Based on the wattage your planning on throwing at this thing. I dont think you can have ANYTHING thick enough lol....

Just ask Vr3MxStyler2k3 about his VPMS Larger sub build. He was ~2 inches thick and STILL was having issues with the wood buckling (see post). He was planning on running a 2 Crown XLS2000's thought so that might make a massive difference.
    I'd be willing to bet that if he'd built it from (what looks like) Baltic birch as Don has instead of MDF his buckling issues would be nowhere near as severe.
    Wris****ch--->Crisco

Quote Originally Posted by strider View Post
    Beautiful bracing, it's a shame you won't be able to see it once the drivers are in place. What did you use to make them?
    I had it cut on a CNC router

Member Sales Rating: (27)

Just to comment my enclosure was not "buckling" or flexing.. it was physically moving.

Everytime a low bass drop would happen the entire enclosure would sway side to side about a quarter of an inch and start "walking"

Mind you this box with woofers weighed 200 pounds, easy... the drivers were throwing it around.

The box itself was VERY inert and strong and had little issues with flexing. The problem was keeping it in place.

I also had a 15" and a 12" LMS-R which move quite a bit (2" xmax) - I dont think the one he is using moves that much? Could be wrong.
    www.Vr3Mods.com ///// www.Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro

Quote Originally Posted by Vr3MxStyler2k3 View Post
    Just to comment my enclosure was not "buckling" or flexing.. it was physically moving.

Everytime a low bass drop would happen the entire enclosure would sway side to side about a quarter of an inch and start "walking"

Mind you this box with woofers weighed 200 pounds, easy... the drivers were throwing it around.

The box itself was VERY inert and strong and had little issues with flexing. The problem was keeping it in place.

I also had a 15" and a 12" LMS-R which move quite a bit (2" xmax) - I dont think the one he is using moves that much? Could be wrong.
    Gotcha. My concern was the fact hes got 1 18" and then 2 18" passives. Thats a lot of woofer lol.

But I know NOTHING about building boxes (hence my post about building boxes for my car subs)

That makes more sense.
    Wris****ch--->Crisco

I'd be willing to bet that if he'd built it from (what looks like) Baltic birch as Don has instead of MDF his buckling issues would be nowhere near as severe.
    13 ply Baltic Birch I think I will be good to go. I know several other subs like mine that are done with BB and not braced anywhere near what mine are and they are good....

Don

3.5" Peak to Peak! Pretty crazy driver!!! I have a sealed 18" LMS Ultra 5400 that is 4" Peak to Peak!!! I have to put rubber mats under it or it walks all over my floor....

I am hoping this one will be better. Some of the motion and energy from the driver will be absorbed by the passives, and they oppose each other, so their force will cancel out. It should be pretty stable, but we will see. It will be mid next week before I find out though because I have a tonsillectomy tomorrow that will keep me down for at least a couple days!

Don

Quote Originally Posted by dcmartinpc View Post
    13 ply Baltic Birch I think I will be good to go. I know several other subs like mine that are done with BB and not braced anywhere near what mine are and they are good....

Don
    Without a doubt. Baltic birch is incredible stuff, and that bracing is stout. Just wish the BB wasn't so pricey, last time I bought a sheet it was $86.50 per 5'x5' sheet.
    Wris****ch--->Crisco

Without a doubt. Baltic birch is incredible stuff, and that bracing is stout. Just wish the BB wasn't so pricey, last time I bought a sheet it was $86.50 per 5'x5' sheet.
    Agreed on the price, but the stuff is so stinking strong, it is hard to not justify it with subs of this caliber. I was actually thinking about trying to fire this ting up tonight, but then the LSiM 703s showed up at my house I will be listening to those tonight!

Don

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Thumbs up

AWESOME!!!! I really have to stop looking at these sub builds on here and HT Shack before I end up building something again lol
    I love animals, they're delicious!

Thread Information