Default Tuning amp

Ok. Here is my current setup:

Head Unit: Pioneer MVH-P8200BT
    Fronts: MM6501 Components
    Rears: MM651 Coaxials
    Sub: DB1040
    Amp1: PA660
    Amp2: PA330 (bridged, to the sub)

Prior to the MM's, I had the DB setup (DB6501/DB651) off the same PA660 amp, and I think I had it tuned to my liking, but I'm by no means an experienced tuner. So, I've got a few questions. Would it be better to use the crossover on the amp, or on the radio, or both? Currently, I'm using both, On the radio, I've got the HPF set at 120, and the amp, I believe, is set at the same. I know the MM's can handle more power than the DB's, should I also set the amp gain higher? On the DB's I've got it about 3/4 the way up.

Well, I guess thats it, for now! If anyone has any other suggestions or comments, I would love feedback, I'd like this system to sound as good as it possibly could!

Thanks Polk Community! Brad

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Turn the gains down. They shouldn't be any higher than the "noon" position or halfway.

120 is also too high for a high pass setting. Set it down to at least 63 Hz. Experiment with 50 and 40 as well if your head unit will go that far down. The lower the better cause it'll keep the sub bass up front with you and not all coming from the trunk

haha that is the complete opposite of what the installer that put them in told me to do! I'll take you're word for it, though. So, to clarify, I'm using the crossover on the head unit? It goes down to 63Hz, I believe. I'll have to check. If I am using the head unit, what do I set the frequency on the amp at? Just all the way down, and let the radio do the work?

I'd turn the crossovers on the amps off so that they dont screw with the one on the head unit.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by macleod View Post
    i'd turn the crossovers on the amps off so that they dont screw with the one on the head unit.
    ive always been told to tune with your amps cross-overs only,is this not ture?

Do whichever you like. I always find it easier to tune with the head unit as its right there at your fingertips where the amps are in the trunk or under the seat or something like that.

well, after this, and browsing the rest of the forums, I think I've found what will work for me! I'll let everyone know how it sounds once it's all dialed in. Anyone else have any more tips/advice?

Not really. Its gonna be a lot of trial and error.

One thing to note: when you finish tuning, let it stand for a day or two. There have been several times Ill spend a few hours in the car tuning and think Ive found the magic settings. Then get in the car the next morning and drive to work and think what the hell was I smoking last night?!

As you tune, your ears will get fatigued and youll start to think crap sounds good. Your mind can and will play tricks on you when it comes to audio. So get a setting that you think sounds good, live with it for a day then try to improve on it and so on. Itll take you a few swings before you land on the one youll live with for a long time.

why not run the amps full range and run a externall adjustable electronic crossover before them ?
    with this you will have full freq adjustments and gain adjustments (as long as you buy a good unit) .

Thread Information