Member Sales Rating: (22)

Directly over the center of the earth in Olathe Kansas

Default Anyone heard the Auraliti PK100 File Player

Auraliti PK100 File Player

44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, and 192 KHz
    Automatically selects for correct sample rate
    Remote control from any web browser
    SPDIF 75 ohm BNC digital
    Internal Digital to Analog converter allows option of RCA output or*balanced*output*over TRS connectors

http://www.auraliti.com/Store.html
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs

Ofc: Wright WLA12 preamp: Anthem Amp 1: Pio Elite DV-79AVI: Airport Express: CAL Sigma II DAC: PA LS90 sonicaps and mills

Member Sales Rating: (0)

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/newr...te=1&p=1639804

sounds very interesting, but seems a little virgin in concept and missing a few key features even if it costs a little more.

Auraliti web site sucks and has little info, but the direction with audio-tech I understand the concept

Before I would ever purchase would want to know the direction this company and unit will be going in the future before dropping $800
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

Member Sales Rating: (6)

So it's a computer, but with 99% less capability and costs twice as much?

It reminds me of Bryston's BDP-1. Check it out. I don't get that one either. It's basically a USB to SPDIF converter, except you have to use its extremely limited interface instead of your computer's processor, operating system, and whatever the heck else you want because it's a computer; it can do everything.

http://bryston.com/pdfs/09/BDP1%20Handout.pdf

You can get any number of fantastic asynchronous USB to SPDIF converters for less than half that price, heck, less than a quarter of the BDA's price, and retain all of the functionality of your computer.
    Last edited by falconcry72; 08-27-2011 at 11:02 PM.
    2-Channel:

Source 1: PC
    Source 2: Rega Apollo CDP
    USB > SPDIF Converter: Stello U3
    DAC: Audio GD NFB-7
    Preamp: Audio Research LS-15
    Power Amp: BAT VK-500
    Speakers: Magnepan 3.7's

HT:

Source 1: HTPC
    Source 2: Oppo 103
    Pre/Pro: Marantz av8003
    Power Amp: Rotel RMB-1095
    Fronts: LSiM-705's
    Center: LSiM-704c
    Surrounds: LSiM-702's
    Subs: Dual SVS PC12-NSD's

Thats the point, I do not want a pc. I want a bit perfect player without all the hassle, just install and listen.

I can handle the ripping on my desk top pc. Already have over 600 CDs ripped in flac.

Was on the path of Mac mini but this looks more interesting. The new Mac minis no longer come with optical drive but can purchase one separately.
    Last edited by thsmith; 08-27-2011 at 11:07 PM.
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2

Ofc: Wright WLA12 preamp: Anthem Amp 1: Pio Elite DV-79AVI: Airport Express: CAL Sigma II DAC: PA LS90 sonicaps and mills

Quote Originally Posted by thsmith View Post
    Thats the point, I do not want a pc. I want a bit perfect player without all the hassle, just install and listen.

I can handle the ripping on my desk top pc. Already have over 600 CDs ripped in flac.

Was on the path of Mac mini but this looks more interesting. The new Mac minis no longer come with optical drive but can purchase one separately.

What is the hassle you're trying to avoid? For me this thing would be way more of a hassle than using my computer. I can't imagine trying to scroll through 3.6TB of music quickly, or make playlists on the fly, or not be able to read text docs and album covers whilst scrolling/searching/playing.

The fact that the mac mini doesn't come with an optical drive doesn't matter; you wouldn't want to run SPDIF out of a computer anyway, way too much jitter, and going through the operating system keeps it from being bit perfect, especially on PC's, but on Macs to some degree as well.

What you want is an Asynchronous USB to SPDIF converter that you plug into your computer, whether it be PC or Mac. Then you can bypass your comp's internal mixer/volume control and be bit perfect.
    2-Channel:

HT:

Quote Originally Posted by falconcry72 View Post

It reminds me of Bryston's BDP-1. Check it out. I don't get that one either. It's basically a USB to SPDIF converter, except you have to use its extremely limited interface instead of your computer's processor, operating system, and whatever the heck else you want because it's a computer; it can do everything.

http://bryston.com/pdfs/09/BDP1%20Handout.pdf

You can get any number of fantastic asynchronous USB to SPDIF converters for less than half that price, heck, less than a quarter of the BDA's price, and retain all of the functionality of your computer.
    You can control the Bryston through a browser, iPad, iPhone, Andoid tablet, and an Android phone. It is a highly optimized digital file player with no moving parts which can add distortion/jitter to the signal. The reviews have been overwhelming in favor, and state the sonic output is better than with a MAC which has been optimized for digital file playback.

Personally, I have a hard time imagining anything sounding better than my iPod/Wadia/Bryston DAC combination, but I concede it is likely the Bryston is a better digital file player. Plus, it plays high-res files which the iPod doesn't.

Anyway, I will be getting one but just haven't got around to placing the order.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    You can control the Bryston through a browser, iPad, iPhone, Andoid tablet, and an Android phone. ...
    Ok, I know less about the BDP than I thought.

How do you control it with your computer?

I thought you had to have an external hard drive or thumb drive physically attached to it via its USB inputs... can it be ran wirelessly?

Sorry for the slight thread derailment

edit:

I'm reading the BDP manual... what does this mean:

The main point to understand here is the BDP-1
    is ‘accessing’ the digital files from the attached USB drives(s)
    directly and not streaming files on the network. The network
    is only used to interface your library storage on your remote
    (itouch, laptop, notebook etc.) or using a web browser on your
    computer as the interface. This approach eliminates all the
    issues inherent in streaming high-resolution digital files over
    the home network or having to ‘share the home network’ with
    the rest of the family.
    DIRECT OPTION:
    Last edited by falconcry72; 08-28-2011 at 02:14 AM.
    2-Channel:

HT:

OK, I don't like this:

For example you can use a
    large 500GB to 1TB USB hard-drive which is permanently
    connected to the BDP-1 for mass storage of your music and
    then use a number of smaller 8-16GB USB thumb-drives to
    create specific play lists ? one for Jazz, one for Classical, one
    for Rock etc. and insert them into the BDP-1 as you wish.

First off, I have external hard drives larger than 1tb, second off, I'm not going to go buy and fill thumb drives with playlists. I do it on the fly from my computer, not preemptively.

Bluefox: do you really think a thumb drive > BDP > BDA would sound better than PC > media player in ASIO > Musical Fidelity V-Link or other comparable USB to SPDIF converter > BDA???

I'm just trying to learn as much as possible about PC's as sources because I can't go back to CD's.

It looks to me that the BDP is a USB to SPDIF converter, but you have to use a functionless hard drive as opposed to a computer...
    Last edited by falconcry72; 08-28-2011 at 02:31 AM.
    2-Channel:

HT:

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I would have agreed with this sentiment a few months ago, but after a lot of time looking, I have found that it is very difficult to find something that a) boots up in seconds like the rest of your equipment and b) is silent. This, I assume, does both. A Squeezebox would be the other option, but that would require you to have a server running somewhere. All of the other features mentioned in this thread are very easily implemented.

Something like this should cost $100 tops, but until consumer demand rises (I'm not holding my breath), we are stuck with products like this marketed to audiophiles with price tags to match.

no worries about anyone derailing this thread. I posted for opinions and looks like I could learn some stuff yoo.

falconcry72 to answer your question on what I am looking for. SOmething that plays FLAC music files that I can control with my Ipad that is quiet, looks good and does not require me to spend time setting it up going threw configurations and settings to make it work.

I am open to suggestions or better cheaper methods.

To me the PK100 or even 90 offer that.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Sonos.....

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Sonos.....
    Why?

Ok, I know less about the BDP than I thought.

How do you control it with your computer?

I thought you had to have an external hard drive or thumb drive physically attached to it via its USB inputs... can it be ran wirelessly?
    If you are really interested in the BDP-1 then buy the current (Septemeber 2011) issue of the absolute sound. It has a great review, and gives a good overall explanation of how to control it.

For example, on page 82 it says the BDP conforms to the open-source MPD Server architecture. Thus you can buy any Apple or Android app that is an MPD client, and use it to control the BDP. If you use Firefox then you can get the Music Player Minion plug-in. Bryston recommends the Gnome Music Player Client for PCs.

Then you can create playlists of songs on the drive, play individual files, or collections of files (CDs).

I'm reading the BDP manual... what does this mean:

The main point to understand here is the BDP-1 is ?accessing? the digital files from the attached USB drives(s) directly and not streaming files on the network. The network is only used to interface your library storage on your remote (itouch, laptop, notebook etc.) or using a web browser on your computer as the interface. This approach eliminates all the issues inherent in streaming high-resolution digital files over the home network or having to ?share the home network? with the rest of the family.
    DIRECT OPTION:
    It means it plays file on the attached drives, not files on other computers. According to them, this is a better approach.

Whether or not that is true I do not know. However, there isn't any technical reason why they could not have allowed files to be played over the network. So, since they are not selling USB drives, and there isn't any technical reason for not streaming files, I am going to assume they are being honest when they say playing files off the attached drive sounds better than streamed files.

The last sentence in the absolute sound review is pretty interesting.

"With the BDP-1, Bryston has created a reference-grade source component that merits comparison with anything at any price -- a remarkable achievement."

The more I read the more I like the pk100. The Bdp-1 looks nice but out side my budget.

Thread Information