Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Default Dolby Digital vs DTS

Which is preferred by most, anything other than DD or DTS? I have no experience with anything other than regular ole' Dolby Surround or Dolby Digital. Is DTS that much better? There seems to be so many formats these days it's confusing, well to me anyways.
    --Gary--

The newer formats leave the old DD in the dust. HD DTS master audio is where it's at today from blu-ray. Of the 2 you mentioned,I prefer DTS when available, but the newer formats are head and shoulders above them.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Those are DVD formats. Hopefully, you have a Bluray by now. On Bluray there is no difference, since both are lossless. On DVD, DTS can have a little bit more information, which can sound a bit better. If you have the gear to hear it.

I don't have a Bluray. So I am not going to see the benefits of DTS with a standard DVD player? Not even DTS music DVD's?
    --Gary--

I definitely prefer DTS on DVDs. The dynamics seem to always be noticeably better to my ear than Dolby Digital.
    2.1: Peachtree DAC●iT>Yaqin MC-10L w/6CA7-EH, Voskhod 6N1P-EV>polkaudio RT25i, PSW202

5.1: ATI HD5850 HDMI Bitstreaming>Denon AVR-1910>polkaudio RT7, CS350-LS, RT3, PSW505, Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000

I think Dolby Digital tends to be more compressed (640kbps) vs DTS (1500kbps). Also, I believe Dolby Digital is limited to 48khz vs 48 / 96 khz that's possible on DTS. So depending on what you're watching, DTS may sound better.
    ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs

Member Sales Rating: (37)

Quote Originally Posted by halo71 View Post
    I don't have a Bluray. So I am not going to see the benefits of DTS with a standard DVD player? Not even DTS music DVD's?
    I usually prefer DTS to DD with a DVD player, especially with music DVD's.

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Definitely DTS when available. Neither are as good as the new lossless formats, but DTS sounds better than DD.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Dolby is the industry standard that all is measured by. DTS is also a industry standard just newer then Dolby.
    Years ago when DTS came out , then tended to boost the rear and sub channels a bit giving a false sense of "better". Later they used a better compression technic which tended to sound a bit better then Dolby Digital.
    If you want proof in the pudding , just watch Gladiator in DD then DTS , you will notice quite a bit more info in the DTS track. Another good one is Pearl Harbor followed by Saving Private Ryan.

Personally I like DTS over Dolby as it to me sound cleaner and more dynamic.
    Now when you go Blu ray , things tend to level out. Most movies are coming in DTS MA over Dolby True HD which is strange but backed by popular demand, Studio's are going with DTS for the replay tracks.

As noted , the better the system the more you will notice the differences between the 2.

Have fun , I have not done this shootout in so many ears. These are fun times I miss it.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

The biggest issue is that few DVDs come with DTS. I check every Netflix DVD, and when I get a DTS DVD it is like a present. As mentioned, with BlueRay the point is moot.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    The biggest issue is that few DVDs come with DTS. I check every Netflix DVD, and when I get a DTS DVD it is like a present. As mentioned, with BlueRay the point is moot.

Okay that answers my last question. A regular DVD player will play DTS, but it's mainly on music DVD's right? And most Bluray are DTS or higher?

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis
    If you want proof in the pudding , just watch Gladiator in DD then DTS , you will notice quite a bit more info in the DTS track. Another good one is Pearl Harbor followed by Saving Private Ryan.
    Kinda like the big difference I seen between ProLogic and DD years ago. Cool. Damn I need a Bluray player now! lol Sucks being broke.
    --Gary--

DTS all the way.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

A regular DVD player will play DTS, but it's mainly on music DVD's right?
    You would need to check the packaging.

And most Bluray are DTS or higher?
    Probably, 99.9% of BluRay's are lossless. It does not matter if they use Dolby or DTS compression. When uncompressed you have the same lossless file.

There will be some Blurays that have the original lossy DVD soundtrack, but they are in the minority. I hope.

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Okay that answers my last question. A regular DVD player will play DTS, but it's mainly on music DVD's right? And most Bluray are DTS or higher?

Kinda like the big difference I seen between ProLogic and DD years ago. Cool. Damn I need a Bluray player now! lol Sucks being broke.
    Your not alone.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Thanks for the help guys!
    --Gary--

DTS here too. I like the NEO6 Cinema or Music listening mode on my Onkyo AVR
    AVR: Onkyo Tx-NR808
    Amplifier: Carver A-753x 250 watts x 3
    Fronts: Polk RTI A7 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Center: CSI A4 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Rear: FXI A4
    Sub: Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    TV: LG Infinia 50PX950 3D
    Speaker Cable: AudioQuest Type 8
    IC: AudioQuest Black Mamba II

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Reported mangos756 - spam

Member Sales Rating: (7)

Talking

Damn I need a Bluray player now! lol Sucks being broke.
    You might need a new receiver/processor to go with the Bluray player, too
    Gears shared to both living room & bedroom:
    Integra DHC-80.3 / Oppo BDP-105 / DirecTV HR24 DVR /APC S15blk PC-UPS
    Living room:
    LSiM707's / LSiM706c / LSiM702 F/X's / dual JL Audio Fathom F113's / Parasound Halo A51 / Panasonic 65" TC-P65VT50
    Bedroom:
    Usher Dancer Mini 2 Diamond DMD's / Logitech SB Touch / W4S STP-SE / W4S DAC-2 / W4S ST-1000 / Samsung 52" LN52B750
    Other rooms:
    Audioengine AP4's / GLOW Audio Sub One / audio-gd NFB-3 DAC / Audioengine N22
    audio-gd NFB-10.2 / Denon AH-D7000

Quote Originally Posted by jbooker82 View Post
    DTS here too. I like the NEO6 Cinema or Music listening mode on my Onkyo AVR
    I use the same settings on my Panny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Smith View Post
    WOW!

That's like working your way through Katie Perry in order to get to Rosie O'Donnell.

Quote Originally Posted by DMara View Post
    You might need a new receiver/processor to go with the Bluray player, too
    Yeah, I don't quite have the budget for home audio as many here do. From looking at your gear, especially you! :tongue:
    --Gary--

You could pick up a used avr like one of the pioneers in the FM here for 3-4 hundred and a cheap bdp is only another hundred. Whats your idea of a budget HT because it doesn't get any cheaper than that for that quality bro. Think of what you could sell to finance the upgrades.

lol...I am trying now to sell stuff for upgrades! Most likely gonna buy Paul's B&K Reference 10 as soon as I receive payment on 1 guitar I sold.

And then the wife busted me last night. So no point in having stuff shipped to work anymore I guess. lol
    --Gary--

Also, thoughts on a Yamaha HTR-5590?

"It delivers high power to six channels and provides DTS ES, Neo 6 and DTS ES Matrix 6.1 decoding as well as Dolby Digital 6.1 and Dolby Pro Logic II decoding."
    --Gary--

Member Sales Rating: (7)

Also, thoughts on a Yamaha HTR-5590?

"It delivers high power to six channels and provides DTS ES, Neo 6 and DTS ES Matrix 6.1 decoding as well as Dolby Digital 6.1 and Dolby Pro Logic II decoding."
    If you're interested in this particular Yamaha, I actually left one in the closet for a couple years already after replacing it with HDMI receivers. Let me know.
    Gears shared to both living room & bedroom:
    Integra DHC-80.3 / Oppo BDP-105 / DirecTV HR24 DVR /APC S15blk PC-UPS
    Living room:
    LSiM707's / LSiM706c / LSiM702 F/X's / dual JL Audio Fathom F113's / Parasound Halo A51 / Panasonic 65" TC-P65VT50
    Bedroom:
    Usher Dancer Mini 2 Diamond DMD's / Logitech SB Touch / W4S STP-SE / W4S DAC-2 / W4S ST-1000 / Samsung 52" LN52B750
    Other rooms:
    Audioengine AP4's / GLOW Audio Sub One / audio-gd NFB-3 DAC / Audioengine N22
    audio-gd NFB-10.2 / Denon AH-D7000

Thread Information