Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Vifa frankenpolk question

So, I have a couple of blown SL2000 tweets sitting around, and I have been considering taking the face plates and modifying them to accept a vifa 1" ring radiator tweeter after listening to a set of LSI 9's. The tweeter in the 9's was so crisp compared to the SL's and 194's, and I have been lusting ever since.

I have a few pairs of 5jrs that I can do a side by side with, and if it works well, I might put them in a my monitor 10s, but I figured someone on here must have done this before, and might have some advice. X-over mods, mounting tips, sound comparisons, all input is welcome!

I am thinking I might be better off fabricating a metal plate to mount the vifa on...
    The secret for harvesting from existence the greatest fruitfulness and greatest enjoyment is to live dangerously. - Nietzche

Member Sales Rating: (40)

You're going to have an impedance mis-match first and foremost, along with efficiency. It's not going to be a drop-in mod, you are going to be asses and elbows in the crossover.

Not crapping on your project, but all things equal, if I were in your shoes - I'd buy some RDO's and maybe drop a Sonicap in the crossover of your 10's, or just get some LSi9's on the used market, and either way, I'd call it a day at that point.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

^What Russ said^
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I completely agree with your assessment, and I should have mentioned that this is entirely a screw around project for me. I enjoy blowing off steam with a soldering iron or a dremel in my hand. I have a worked over pair of 10s that are doner boxes sans tweeters that I figured I could play with.

I would never violate the sanctity of my sda's. Well, aside, from caps, gimpboards, rings, and RDOs :) - dynamat drivers are next!

I have been browsing the used LSi market for a while, and I am hoping it opens up a little as people pick up the LSiM 703's.
    The secret for harvesting from existence the greatest fruitfulness and greatest enjoyment is to live dangerously. - Nietzche

Member Sales Rating: (1)

For the fooling around idea I would go metal plate before trying to mod SL2000 face plates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Smith View Post
    WOW!

That's like working your way through Katie Perry in order to get to Rosie O'Donnell.

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Knock yourself out and have fun!!!
    Hot Rodded SDA 1.2TL's, SDA 1C's, SDA CRS+'s...