Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (41)

Default Panasonic vs Samsung Plasma

Just sold my 50" Pioneer Plasma and wanting to replace it with either the Panasonic 65VT30 or the Samsung 64D8000. Both units are top dog and was wondering if any Polkies had any input on the two. Also wondering if anyone has ordered Plasma's from Amazon before, and did you purchase the warranty?

I was browsing Amazon and noticed they has the Samsung 64" on sale for $2699 shipped from Vann's but if you go to Vann's internet site the price is totally different($3499).Why is amazon so much cheaper if it's shipping from the same company?

Has any of the VT30 series owners noticed any of the flickering people are complaining about?

Thanks

Member Sales Rating: (0)

You can read reviews on both these tv's from C-Net Reviews. They rate the Samsung D-8000 as Outstanding with 4 1/2 stars and the best overall tv for 2011. The Panasonic comes in a close second with a rating of Excellent and 4 stars. Other opinions may vary as we know, but this will show you that the Samsung is easily as good as the best Panasonic. Samsung are normally priced lower than the Panasonic, so more Bang for the Buck. If it was me buying I would go for the Samsung at the best price...... Pricing difference also happens all the time between Futureshop and Best Buy ( Who owns Futureshop) here in Canada so its not uncommon for an owner to put sales on from a different brand outlet, and not another at the same time. Amazon and Vann's could possibly have a different loyal customer base that is being targeted. Amazon may have higher stock levels at this time compared to Vann's also.
    Last edited by larry777; 09-10-2011 at 07:55 AM.
    Home Theatre.............

Pioneer SC-35
    Polk RTi10's Fronts
    Polk CSiA6 Center
    RTi4 Surrounds
    SVS PB-12 Sub

2 Channel.............................

Yaqin MC-100B
    Energy RC-70 Speakers
    Arcam CD-192 Disc Player
    Van Den Hul Interconnects

Member Sales Rating: (14)

They are both extremely nice sets.

If I was going to buy one the Panasonic Probably would come home with me. The Samsung is right there in every way but my experience with them Buzzing and failing would stop me from purchasing one. I love everything else about them.

Good luck shopping bro.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I purchased my 50" Samsung plasma from Amazon without an extended warranty. They use a logistics company to hand deliver the TV's. The only issue was that I live out in the country and the service only delivered in the area once a week. You also do save on sales tax by purchasing it from them.

Quote Originally Posted by teamjhertz View Post
    I purchased my 50" Samsung plasma from Amazon without an extended warranty. They use a logistics company to hand deliver the TV's. The only issue was that I live out in the country and the service only delivered in the area once a week. You also do save on sales tax by purchasing it from them.

Went to American TV by me in Wisconsin and they had the panny 65vt30 on sale for $3500, with tax it came up to $3700. With the problems people have been having with panasonic ( floating blacks and flickering) I will definitely get a warranty and it was $799 for 5 years. No way in hell will I pay $800 for a warranty, that's ridiculous. I got home and searched the web and found it on Amazon for $2999 with free shipping and no tax. They also has a 4 year warranty for only $299 which is much better. So $4500 local versus the $3300 from amazon.

wow that is a huge difference. You could buy whole other tv with it.

I have the Samsung PN63C8000 and I love it. That being said, for me personally, I have found that most higher end TVs have great pictures. I only watch sports and blu ray movies. Therefore, I have never looked at the manual to try to understand how to utilize all the unit's features. Also, I have no interest in 3D, but I know it has that capability.

I bought it directly from Vann's last year when they had a special. It came with a Samsung blu ray player and a pair of glasses (both still sitting in unopened boxes). Price was for $2,699, all in. It was shipped strapped on a pallet via FedEx to the front of my house.

I found this deal using Bountii.com. I had a good experience with Vann's and have had zero issues or problems with the television. None, Nada.

(no affiliation with bountii or Vann's)

Good luck

Did you buy the extended warranty?

I've got the VT20 (Best Buys version of last years VT25) and I absolutely love it. Cannot compare it to the Sammy though. I'd be willing to bet that you're golden either way. If there would be a problem with either TV, it's going to be more luck of the draw that you got a bad one from the factory.
    50" Panasonic Vierra TC-P50VT20 (w/5 pairs glasses)
    Pioneer Elite SC-37
    Polk Monitor 70's (2)
    Polk Monitor 40's (4)
    Polk Monitor CS2
    Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    Oppo BDP-93
    Squeezebox Duet
    Belkin PureAV PF60
    Dish Network "The Hoppa"

Quote Originally Posted by leroyjr1 View Post
    Did you buy the extended warranty?
    I did not.

For me personally, I never buy an extended warranty for any of my purchases. My philosophy is to try to buy the highest quality product I can. I figure my odds of having a problem are lower (even if this is only a preconception in my mind).

I think I may have read in Consumer Reports that the failure rate for TVs (both LCD and Plasma) is pretty low and that they feel extended warranties for televisions may not be the best use of money. However, if a warranty gives one peace of mind, they may be worth the money (provided the price is reasonable).

Quote Originally Posted by Beta View Post
    I did not.

For me personally, I never buy an extended warranty for any of my purchases. My philosophy is to try to buy the highest quality product I can. I figure my odds of having a problem are lower (even if this is only a preconception in my mind).

I think I may have read in Consumer Reports that the failure rate for TVs (both LCD and Plasma) is pretty low and that they feel extended warranties for televisions may not be the best use of money. However, if a warranty gives one peace of mind, they may be worth the money (provided the price is reasonable).
    With fixing plasma's so expensive imma grab a warranty from Amazon.

Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
    SVS Ultra-13 Gloss Black:D

Member Sales Rating: (37)

Quote Originally Posted by danz1906 View Post
    Good advice. I own 2 Panasonic plasma's (50 and 58) so that's how I lean. If you have HH Gregg up there they tend to deal aggressively also.
    VTL ST50 w/mods/RCA6L6GC/TlfnknECC801S
    CJPV-5 w/mods
    TT CJ Sonographe SG3 Oak/Sumiko LMT/Grado Wood Plat/Sumiko PIB2/The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020/Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9/Vibrapods/MIT Shtgn AC1 IEC's/MIT Shotgun 2 IC's/MIT Shtgn 2 Speaker
    PSAudio Cryo PwrPrt Prem/ExctPwrEP15A
    Wlnt SDA 2B TL/Oak SDA SRS II TL-Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Cust SDA ICs/Mortite/Dynamat Extreme/TFLF Rings/FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels

I think amazon is going to be hard to beat.

I shopped the Samsung/Panasonic equivilants. Recently as well. I decided on the Samsung in my signature. Been very pleased with the picture quality; xbox, tv, and blu ray.

But I did get the buzz bug. It's weird. Depending on where I'm sitting/standing, or which way I learn my head while watching, I can hear it clearly, or not at all.

It seems to do it badly when screen goes from darker to much brighter. Low volume dialogue sequences it can be a PITA sometimes. It does not seem to be very consistent.
    Pn51D550
    Panasonic DMP-BDt110
    Onkyo HT-RC360
    Polk Monitor 60's L/R
    Polk CS2 C
    Polk Monitor 30's SL/SR
    BIC F12
    XBOX 360 COD:MW2 250g edition
    Logitech Harmony One

Quote Originally Posted by Splif View Post
    I shopped the Samsung/Panasonic equivilants. Recently as well. I decided on the Samsung in my signature. Been very pleased with the picture quality; xbox, tv, and blu ray.

But I did get the buzz bug. It's weird. Depending on where I'm sitting/standing, or which way I learn my head while watching, I can hear it clearly, or not at all.

It seems to do it badly when screen goes from darker to much brighter. Low volume dialogue sequences it can be a PITA sometimes. It does not seem to be very consistent.
    I can't stand that about Samsung. As big as they are now you would think they could build a better power supply. This seems to be the exact problem that most have with Samsung. I will not sell them anymore because it pisses off my customers. I can't have that. I like the picture quality and everything else about this set but the Buzzing gotta go. They know about it as well as I personally called and made a huge stink about it.
    Dan

Yes I will be calling them tomorrow to throw my .02 at them, maybe literally.

Just another example... My daughter just turned on Nickelodeon and watching some tv show and there is not one hint of a buzz coming from it.

Last night just flipping around it was driving me crazy.
    Pn51D550
    Panasonic DMP-BDt110
    Onkyo HT-RC360
    Polk Monitor 60's L/R
    Polk CS2 C
    Polk Monitor 30's SL/SR
    BIC F12
    XBOX 360 COD:MW2 250g edition
    Logitech Harmony One

No buzzing sound from my Samsung. None whatsoever. I read reviews where people complained about this potential problem. I was a little apprehensive prior to making the decision to go with the brand. Fortunately, my unit does not have this issue.

I've had a Panny plasma for two years now. Not one issue with it, and am very happy with the PQ. The floating black issue isn't that big of a deal. If anything I have my set a bit too dark as some darker scenes are a bit crushed.

Pop over to AVS and see if you can find the ISF calibration settings from D-Nice (or others). Also read up on properly breaking in the set so you can have max PQ. I followed his procedure, used his ISF numbers, and have converted a number of friends who were hell bent on buying a LCD over to Plasma.

Quote Originally Posted by Beta View Post
    No buzzing sound from my Samsung. None whatsoever. I read reviews where people complained about this potential problem. I was a little apprehensive prior to making the decision to go with the brand. Fortunately, my unit does not have this issue.
    Thats great to hear. Not all Samsungs buzz. Mostly it's the Plasma models.
    Dan

Well it's between the 65vt30 or the JVC rs-40.

Member Sales Rating: (7)

Thumbs up

I love the THX mode of my 65VT30, and no action blurring issue whatsoever. I'm also surprised at how thin it is comparing to other plasma sets of previous years.
    Gears shared to both living room & bedroom:
    Integra DHC-80.3 / Oppo BDP-105 / DirecTV HR24 DVR /APC S15blk PC-UPS
    Living room:
    LSiM707's / LSiM706c / LSiM702 F/X's / dual JL Audio Fathom F113's / Parasound Halo A51 / Panasonic 65" TC-P65VT50
    Bedroom:
    Usher Dancer Mini 2 Diamond DMD's / Logitech SB Touch / W4S STP-SE / W4S DAC-2 / W4S ST-1000 / Samsung 52" LN52B750
    Other rooms:
    Audioengine AP4's / GLOW Audio Sub One / audio-gd NFB-3 DAC / Audioengine N22
    audio-gd NFB-10.2 / Denon AH-D7000

Member Sales Rating: (6)

The FB issue is easily fixed by calling Panasonic and they will come fix it for you. Takes less then 5 minutes. Aug Sets have the fix!

Cnet rated the Samsung over the Panny because of features but the Panny beat it in PQ, so to me PQ is more important then having more widgets.

The VT30 is an amazing set. I now own 4 Panny Plasma's. I owned a Samsung 3D TV and went through 2 of them due to Buzzing. My brother and sister bought Samsung TV's and they all buzz.

Panasonic's customer service is so much better then Samsung's..

If it were my money I would get the VT30
    (3) PS3's, Xbox 360, (2) Wii's and Nintendo NES
    (2) Panny DMPBDT110 3D Standalone Players
    Panny 60" 3D Plasma TC-60ST30
    Panny 50" Plasma TC-P50G10
    Panny 50" 3D TV TC-P50GT25
    Denon AVR-891
    Harmoney One Remote
    Polk Monitor 70's,Polk CS2, Polk Monitor 40's

Quote Originally Posted by leroyjr1 View Post
    With fixing plasma's so expensive imma grab a warranty from Amazon.
    How many years will it be covered if you get the extended warranty?

There was alot of talk about buzzing with my model Panasonic plasma, but I've never had that problem. It's dead silent.

Source: Squeezebox Touch/CIA Power Supply
    DAC: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Linestage: Placette RVC Passive
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12-NSD

I have had the Panasonic in my signature for two years without any issues. When I was looking the Samsung buzzing was a big issue so I went with Panasonic. Other than wishing it was a 65" I am very happy with it.
    AVR: Elite VSX-21TXH
    Amplifier: B&K 7250 Series ii
    Misc: Velodyne SMS-1
    Mains: RTi-10
    Center: CSi-5
    Rear: Boston DSi460
    Sub: SVS PC-Ultra
    TV: Panasonic TC-P58V10
    DVD: Panasonic DMP-BD60K

I have the Samsung PN63C8000 and I love it. That being said, for me personally, I have found that most higher end TVs have great pictures. I only watch sports and blu ray movies. Therefore, I have never looked at the manual to try to understand how to utilize all the unit's features. Also, I have no interest in 3D, but I know it has that capability.
    My cousin has this TV too. Beautiful picture. He was looking for the top of the line Panny too, but couldn't find one locally. Reviews had this as 2nd best on CNET I think. No issues so far.
    ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs

I've owned panasonics and samsungs for a long time, one thing I have noticed is the color tone between the 2. Sammys tend to be orangish, Pannys tend to be greenish. What that means in the grand scheme of things, I haven't a clue. I've always been able to get a satisfying calibration on both.

Source: Squeezebox Touch/CIA Power Supply
    DAC: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Linestage: Placette RVC Passive
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12-NSD

Thread Information