Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Fisher 500B, 500C and 800C

If all were in the same condition and you could keep one, which one would you keep and why? This is my problem (not a bad one) I just don't know what to do. I'm going to use your feedback to make my decision. Thanks

Member Sales Rating: (37)

Quote Originally Posted by Cayuga View Post
    If all were in the same condition and you could keep one, which one would you keep and why? This is my problem (not a bad one) I just don't know what to do. I'm going to use your feedback to make my decision. Thanks
    As probably you already know, the 800C is Fisher's "pinnacle" product, but only different from the 500C because it has AM and FM instead of FM only. I've never seen any information that the AM section in any way compromises the FM section's performance in the 800C, so the 800 would be my keeper.

The 500B versus C is a tougher call. The C is 75wpc versus the B at 85, but the "tuning eye" tube in the B is downright cool and was replaced by a standard (but not as cool) tuning meter in the more powerful 500C.
    Last edited by inspiredsports; 09-12-2011 at 09:00 AM.
    VTL ST50 w/mods/RCA6L6GC/TlfnknECC801S
    CJPV-5 w/mods
    TT CJ Sonographe SG3 Oak/Sumiko LMT/Grado Wood Plat/Sumiko PIB2/The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020/Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9/Vibrapods/MIT Shtgn AC1 IEC's/MIT Shotgun 2 IC's/MIT Shtgn 2 Speaker
    PSAudio Cryo PwrPrt Prem/ExctPwrEP15A
    Wlnt SDA 2B TL/Oak SDA SRS II TL-Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Cust SDA ICs/Mortite/Dynamat Extreme/TFLF Rings/FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels

It's hard giving up the "tuning eye". Of the 3 the 800 would be your choice?

Member Sales Rating: (2)

...those power figures are "stereo power", need to halve them for watts per channel.
    The 500C in the photo above, e.g., would have, nominally, been capable of 37.5 wpc.

Even then, these receivers predate the FTC 1974 power spec requirements by years... my belief/understanding has been that the 7591(A) Fisher receivers are good for about 30 continuous wpc (give or take), while the Fisher 400 - using the electrically identical 7868 but run a tad more conservatively for whatever reason - was good for about 25 wpc.

Perusal of the datasheets for the 7591A show operating points capable of 23 to 45 watts continuous in class AB1. See, e.g., http://www.tubezone.net/pdf/7591.pdf

I would've thought the power capability of the "B" and "C" variants was the same... but I'd have to look at the operating voltages on the output stages of each to confirm or deny... and I am frankly too dang lazy! :-)

That said, I wouldn't discriminate on "B" vs. "C" for any real reason except cosmetics (including, of course, the "magic eye"). That said... I am of the opinion that one should "collect 'em all"! I would certainly encourage anyone who stumbles on a nice 800B to grab it - those are not common.

all the best,
    mrh

Thanks mhardy, as I said in my PM I have one 800 and can grab another. I think it would be wise to grab the 2nd one even if I don't end up keeping it.

I didn't say that anyone needs two ;-)

Honestly, I'd say that depends on free cash and open space in the basement.

Seriously, the only substantive reason I posted to this thread was just to amplify (pun intended) the output power issue for these fine old receivers a bit.

oh, plus I need an excuse to post a none-too-good photo of the one-and-only pretty Fisher I have!

Last edited by mhardy6647; 09-12-2011 at 10:06 AM.
    all the best,
    mrh

That is pretty, thanks for all your help.

I'm surprised that only two people have thoughts on Fishers, I'm starting to think I'm an old man in a boys club. Is it that people don't know about these great old receivers? Maybe old is the key word.

well... sonny... you know what they say...
    umm...
    I forget.
    all the best,
    mrh

Member Sales Rating: (22)

Directly over the center of the earth in Olathe Kansas

Sweet stuff, I want one now.

If you pass on the second one maybe we could talk.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs

Ofc: Wright WLA12 preamp: Anthem Amp 1: Pio Elite DV-79AVI: Airport Express: CAL Sigma II DAC: PA LS90 sonicaps and mills

I'll have two 800's at the end of the week, I'll keep you posted

Member Sales Rating: (37)

Quote Originally Posted by Cayuga View Post
    It's hard giving up the "tuning eye". Of the 3 the 800 would be your choice?
    I love the tuning eye tube also used in my KM-60 (FM only) tuner, but yes, I think the 800C receiver is their pinnacle product.
    VTL ST50 w/mods/RCA6L6GC/TlfnknECC801S
    CJPV-5 w/mods
    TT CJ Sonographe SG3 Oak/Sumiko LMT/Grado Wood Plat/Sumiko PIB2/The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020/Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9/Vibrapods/MIT Shtgn AC1 IEC's/MIT Shotgun 2 IC's/MIT Shtgn 2 Speaker
    PSAudio Cryo PwrPrt Prem/ExctPwrEP15A
    Wlnt SDA 2B TL/Oak SDA SRS II TL-Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Cust SDA ICs/Mortite/Dynamat Extreme/TFLF Rings/FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels

Y'all keep your eyes open for an 800B... like a 500B but with AM, too. I've never seen one in the "flesh".

The other very interesting Fisher stereo receiver, to me, was the TA-600. Unlike any other Fisher stereo receivers, this early (pre-multiplex stereo era) "AM-FM [simulcast] stereo" receiver used small output tubes (either EL84 or 7189) and used vacuum tube rectification for its HV. I'd love to stumble across one of these... someday.

(it's that "40 watt" receiver on the scan above from the 1961 Radio Shack catalog - you can look it up on page 32 of http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/catalogs/1961/ yourself, if you wish).
    Last edited by mhardy6647; 09-13-2011 at 08:08 AM.
    all the best,
    mrh

Those are some pricey units from 1961, I love seeing these ads.

Here's my 500C that I replaced the power supply from a kit I found. I used this unit in a downstairs system with a pair of Spica TC-50 speakers. Beautiful combination!
    Attached Images  

Nice Advent NR system there, Mr. S! ;-)
    all the best,
    mrh

Thanks, Mark, I have two of them and they seem to work perfectly. Many feel this is the best sounding of the Dolby units. I also have a Teac AN180 which is beautiful looking, but takes a back seat to the Advent. I have some Barclay Crocker tapes that sound excellent with the Advent. There's a fellow who has replaced the solid state output stage with tubes I've read about. Tube Dolby, now that's cool!

I have a smaller Advent NR device, in its original box, from my favorite local vintage audio emporium :-) 1) I've forgotten the model number (it might be 102; the big one is 101, isn't it?) and 2) I've never turned it on, much less actually tried it.

Here's an odd little "Kevin Bacon" kind of story - I used to work for a guy whose father was on the team with Ray Dolby at Ampex which developed the (first practical) helical-scan video tape recorder.
    all the best,
    mrh

When I was selling stereo in B-more people would add an "m" to his name. They would ask if the deck had "Dolmby" noise reduction.
    Also I would get "Doby". Funny what you remember.

Dey were jus' sittin' out on the stoop, hon!

When my poor, dear wife (from Westchesta, NY) started graduate school at JHU she had a heck of a time with Bawlmerese. She got directions once from someone to go out Blair Road. She had a heck of a time finding it... but you know, Ken, that Blair Road is US Route 1, and it goes all the way out to Blair, Murlan :-)
    all the best,
    mrh

Thread Information