Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Default RF remote controlled receiver suggestions?

I have tried to find a high quality two channel receiver that has a RF remote and hopefully multi zone speaker options for two channel music with little success.

Do they still make a quality RF remote so I can control the sound with extra remotes in more than one room? I want to remotely control the sound in 2 or 3 rooms. I have tried using the various IR/RF repeaters and they are just not very reliable and work only sometimes. They can drive person nuts.

I would consider a high quality AV receiver with a RF remote if the amplifier section was good and just not use the video section. I thought Pioneer and Sherwood made some high quality AV receivers with a RF remote. I would also consider used equipment.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Peter

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I've got the SC-37, but it also just uses a repeater. Are you looking for full functionality? Just wondering if a Squeezebox/Airplay would work for what you need? You can adjust volume, zones and change your music via wi-fi with any of those if that would help?
    50" Panasonic Vierra TC-P50VT20 (w/5 pairs glasses)
    Pioneer Elite SC-37
    Polk Monitor 70's (2)
    Polk Monitor 40's (4)
    Polk Monitor CS2
    Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    Oppo BDP-93
    Squeezebox Duet
    Belkin PureAV PF60
    Dish Network "The Hoppa"

How does the remote for the SC 37 work? Is there an antenna connected to the SC 37?

Does it work well? What is the longest distance between remote and SC=37?

The repeater that I have and hate has two parts a IR reciever and RF transmitter.

I bet the SC 37 just has the reciever.

It appears to work the same as what you have. It's got a receiver that is connected and powered via a DB-9/DC combo cable, and then there are (2) sets of dual-IR transmitters that connect by a standard 1/8" jack (So I can control 4 things)

Unfortunately I cannot tell you how it works, or if it works well because it's all sitting in a drawer in the plastic still. I've got my rack next to the TV, so no need for it currently.

You just looking to control from one room to another? Back when I used to live at home, we hooked up a splitter to the cable box. This allowed me to have cable in my room, and I just changed the channel after the 'rents went to bed. I just used some of those Radio Shack "pyramid" style extenders. One side has an antenna, the other side doesn't. Worked great, and you could use any remote. Only downfall would be that this would only work for a zone1/2 type setup. You couldn't just wander around the house.

I've still got them laying around if you think it might be something of interest? They are basically like these, except only one side has the antenna on mine:

**Edit - It's probably overkill to be looking at new receivers, but I completely forgot about the fact that some receivers allow for wi-fi control as well (Check out Pioneers iControl app) - this may also be an option for you if the squeezebox or IR repeater scenerio doesn't quite float your boat.
    Last edited by Glowrdr; 09-15-2011 at 06:19 PM.
    Pioneer Elite SC-37
    Polk Monitor 70's (2)
    Polk Monitor 40's (4)
    Polk Monitor CS2
    Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    Oppo BDP-93
    Squeezebox Duet
    Belkin PureAV PF60
    Dish Network "The Hoppa"

Yes the pyramid is what I have but they stopped working. I have no idea why. I have 4 sets and all are not working. I think I have some interference. They never worked very well anyway in the past.

I have a Squeezbox remote that works in any room very nicely. I thought that would work by RF but maybe not.

I think I need to go to best buy and see your remote and see how it works.

I don't understand wi-fi, thanks for that suggestion, I'll check it out.

Has anyone used the Logitech repeater system? I think it's wired.

Thanks for your help.

Squeezebox uses Wi-Fi, so anywhere in your house that you can get internet, your remote will work. It has nothing to do with the remote itself.

As for the IR repeaters that quit working - I'm guessing they are just as vulnerable to routers, cordless phones, and microwaves as the old school 900 Mhz phones were. Wi-Fi is much more stable. That might be something to consider, and a good direction to start your research. Either start looking at a wi-fi enabled receiver, or I'm sure it won't be long before they invent a wi-fi enabled IR repeater. Never know.
    Pioneer Elite SC-37
    Polk Monitor 70's (2)
    Polk Monitor 40's (4)
    Polk Monitor CS2
    Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    Oppo BDP-93
    Squeezebox Duet
    Belkin PureAV PF60
    Dish Network "The Hoppa"

Thanks for the info Glowrdr. I disconnected all cordless phones and router and they still don't work. Just don't understand why they stopped working all together. They were just not that good but at least they worked most times.

I went the BB and dealt with the morons there. They say no one makes a receiver with a RF remote.

I looked at the Niles wired repeater system and like it. I may purchase it. Cruthfield has good information on all the repeater systems made and sold. Just the wiring of Cat 5 is the only issue.

Logitech also has a wireless repeater system. Anybody tried that?

This is so strange.

All the RS repeaters started to work this weekend with the Revox and Lutron remotes. I made no changes except to unplug them. They worked in the daylight and night.

I guess I have intermittent interference.

Going nuts.

Thread Information