Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oppo 93

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Oppo 93

I've had my Oppo 93 for a couple of weeks now. It's hooked up and I've made the "easy" set up but I haven't played a DVD on it yet. Don't know if that's patience or fear that it won't work right. Normally when I get a new component I start using it right away but these things that work more like computers intimidate me.
    I have pulled out a few BDs for the first trials but they're laying by my recliner still in their cases.
    Just got a new Nora Jones DVD but it's not BD. "Down From The Mountain" has some of my kind of music on it but it isn't BD either.
    Just talking to myself.
    TO ERR IS HUMAN. TO FORGIVE IS CANINE.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Pour a drink and get going!

Quote Originally Posted by Demiurge View Post
    Pour a drink and get going!

Got some Weller 107 proof Bourbon. Might go well with my BD "Shooter" beautiful opening scenes. Just one shot though.......two and I'll nod off in the recliner.......... I'm not so young any more but neither is the Old 107.

Member Sales Rating: (11)

You'll love the 93, whatever disc you'll put in it - CD, DVD, BD or whatever other format you can think about, being a universal player.
    Panasonic PT-AE4000U projector for movies
    EluneVision 92" Cinema Gray fixed screen
    Onkyo TX-SR805 Pre/Pro
    Rotel RMB-1075 Amp
    B&W CDM1-SE fronts
    B&W CDM-CNT center
    B&W CDM1 rears
    Samsung DTB-H260F OTA HDTV tuner
    DUAL NHT SubTwo subwoofers
    Velodyne SMS-1
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-Ray player
    Belkin PF60 Power Center
    Harmony 890 RF remote
    Panasonic TC-P50G20 TV + PS3 in the living room

Member Sales Rating: (1)

what he said!! This will probably turn out to be one of those "why did I wait to do this" things.

Love my 93....now I just need to find time to hook up my newly acquired Parasound amp and sit down with my libation.

Quote Originally Posted by muncybob View Post
    what he said!! This will probably turn out to be one of those "why did I wait to do this" things.

Love my 93....now I just need to find time to hook up my newly acquired Parasound amp and sit down with my libation.

I've got a few DVDs on the floor beside my recliner just waiting to be played. I've got a BD Lonesome Dove and a DVD of Norah Jones in concert, Taken, Ronin, Bullit.........best car chase ever!
    My German Shepherd passed a few months back and I thought I could live without another dog but I can't so I've been busy trying to locate another one. Puppies are easy to find but I want one at least 6mos. old. Got a nice one located but I'll have to drive 700 miles one way or have him flown in. He's not going to want TSA to touch his junk
    Last edited by DON73; 09-21-2011 at 10:55 AM.

Don, I know you will be very happy with your new Oppo. I have the same unit and have been very happy with it. I have mine networked so I can pull music and movies from my computers. It is a very versitle player that does an excellent job. Make sure to hook it to the internet and it will automatically do the firmware update,if required. Good luck finding a new dog.

Cheers
    Tim
    "They're always talking about my drinking, but never mention my thirst" Oscar Wilde

Pre-Amp: Anthem AVM 20
    Amp: Carver TFM-35
    Amp: Rotel RB-870BX
    Fronts : SDA 1B w/ RDO-194s
    T.V.:Plasma TC-P54G25
    Bluray: Oppo BDP-93
    Speaker Cables: MIT Terminater
    Interconnect Cables:DH Labs Silver Sonic BL-1isonic

Thanks everyone! I played "Taken" BD tonight and It was excellent. I've got the Oppo hooked to my Pioneer 1121 Receiver with an HDMI cable and the front and center channels are driven by an Adcom 7500. When it's hooked up this way is the player DAC or the receiver DAC doing the video? I'm thinking of hooking the Oppo straight to the TV. May get a better video. My knees only allow me two ups and downs a day so I'm somewhat limited in changing things around.

I found a 7month old male pup for $$$$

HDMI is all digital, so your AVR is using its DAC. If you were to send out RCA from the Oppo then your using its DAC for audio (not video)

ENjoy you rnew OPPO!

I really like the performance - plays any disc type very well
    have mine set up with 2 HDMI's - one for video direct to tv (using the better chipset) and the other for Audio

Really appreciate the quick HDMI handshake to other components compared to my previous units
    Onkyo TX-SR804 receiver
    Parasound 5250
    LSI 15's
    LSI C
    LSI FX's
    PSW1000 Sub
    OPPO 93
    Sony CDP-C315 CD
    Monster AC line cond
    Audioquest, Blue Jeans & Monster wires/connects
    40" Sony Bravia XBR6

Thanks again for the information explaining which component is being used for video. I'll run an HDMI cable from the Oppo to the
    TV and another type of cable to the AVR for audio.

My question is all audio on the 93: I think the Oppo has better dac than my Yammy AVR so I have the 5.1 analaog cables connected to the AVR along with optical. Playing a redbook cd and using the multi channel on the AVR to get the analog signal it doesn't sound nearly as "full" as when I use the digital input only in 2 channel mode...what gives? Oppo settings are 80hz crossover, speakers are large(they are full range) and downmix is 5.1

Not really sure on that - you could be bypassing some of the processing by having it hooked up that way, and maybe you are noticing that's missing? Just a guess really

What I did want to post about though was the idea behind running analog 5.1 AND optical. Any idea which you are actually using? You've got 2 audio connections hooked up at the same time. Not sure if this was intentional (doing a side by side comparison?) or if you mistakenly had both hooked up. Only need one of those.
    50" Panasonic Vierra TC-P50VT20 (w/5 pairs glasses)
    Pioneer Elite SC-37
    Polk Monitor 70's (2)
    Polk Monitor 40's (4)
    Polk Monitor CS2
    Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    Oppo BDP-93
    Squeezebox Duet
    Belkin PureAV PF60
    Dish Network "The Hoppa"

The AVR has a multi channel switch, this will receive only the 5.1 analog inputs then. It's to my understanding that using analog leaves processing(bass mgt) up to the source...using digital leaves processing up to the receiver. Since I don't have HDMI on the AVR I want to use multi channel for movies so that the Oppo can process the newer formats.

Switching between multi channel and digital 2 channel on the AVR is like night and day for sound from a 2 channel cd.

Thread Information