Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Default Power Protection/Conditioning

Hey guys,

my parents have been bugging me about this for a long time, but I have so little experience with it that I have put off giving them an answer. A while back, I gave them my B&K 7270 SII, DMC-1 and LSi speakers. They understand the cost of them (or rather, the cost of replacing them) and want to protect the electronics as best they can. They have a quite unusual circumstance with the power in their house.

As the story goes, the previous owners wife had issues with electronics. For some odd reason (there might have been a reason but I have since forgot), computers and other electronic devices would act up around her and end up dying. This was apparently bad enough for her employer to allow her to work from home. Whether the story is true or if the house just has poor wiring, I don't know. But their house continues to have electrical issues (random spikes, outages when no one else has them, wall warts burning up, ect.)

They want some sort of protection for their gear. It would need to cover the amp, pre/pro, 2 lsi 25s, and a HTPC.

Any suggestions that don't break the bank?

Member Sales Rating: (1)

If the electrical is that bad, avoid this band-aid idea and get an electrician to look at the wiring.......my honest opinion.
    2.0 - Zu Audio Omen MK-1B's, Peachtree Decco65 ,Zu Mission SC's, Audio Technica TT, Bugle2 & Bottlehead Reduction Phono Pre's, PS Audio UPC200, Doug's Int's
    HT - Anthem MRX300, RTIA3's, RTIA1's, CSIA4, DSW400, 55ST30, APC H15, 360 Elite, Panny DMP-BD35K

Looking for new homes....
    MIT EXp2 Cables
    Anthem MCA20

Member Sales Rating: (0)

^^^^ ditto ^^^^

Member Sales Rating: (13)

while that might be true, they will still benefit from power conditioning/protection.... not only that, but my dad is a DIY guy and has never paid a carpenter, electrician, plumber, ect... I doubt I will ever see that happen

Member Sales Rating: (19)

No power conditioner or surge protector is going to work the best (or at all) if the ground(s) in the residential wiring aren't working or have issues. That's a frequent contributor to problems with residential wiring, especially if lots of DIY and revisions have taken place. It shouldn't cost much to have an electrician bring the proper testing equipment and provide an analysis and recommendations. I would spend that money first.
    DKG999
    -----------------------------------------
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by cokewithvanilla View Post
    while that might be true, they will still benefit from power conditioning/protection.... not only that, but my dad is a DIY guy and has never paid a carkpenter, electrician, plumber, ect... I doubt I will ever see that happen
    Is he also a firefighter? That might come in handy with f'ed up wiring.

Thread Information