Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Does one or two DB of Efficiency make a difference?

Say 90 as opposed to 88 or 89.

Also, what exactly is efficiency.. I assume it has something to do with how well it uses the power its recieving.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Efficiency and sensitivity are sometimes used interchangebly by different manufacturers.

"Sensitivity: Measure of the sound pressure level generated at a distance of one meter from a speaker when the speaker is fed a 2.83 volt signal (1 watt at 8 ohms); efficiency of a speaker creating a certain sound pressure level from a given input with high figures representing a more efficient speaker."

Assuming the same measurement techniques for two different speakers, a 3dB increase in sensitivity will halve the power requirement to play at a paricular SPL. In other words, if my speakers are rated at 91, and yours are rated at 88, I will need half the power you'll need for the same SPL.

It will make a difference in the volume the two speakers will produce given the same gear/power.
    HT: Denon 1910, LG blu-ray, Def Tech ProCinema 100s, Stryke 12" sonosub.
    LR: Onkyo TX-84 (original owner), Aiwa AD-F850 (original owner), Philips TT (old school, 2nd owner), Philips CD (cheap-o), Monitor 5jr+ (original owner - actually, my wife is the original owner; she bought them new when we were dating - sealed the deal).
    Xbox 360/Wii/Kids: Old school huge Sony HD TV, Sherwood RD-6500, Philips DVD, pair Def Tech ProCinema 100.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Originally posted by burdette
    Efficiency and sensitivity are sometimes used interchangebly by different manufacturers.

"Sensitivity: Measure of the sound pressure level generated at a distance of one meter from a speaker when the speaker is fed a 2.83 volt signal (1 watt at 8 ohms); efficiency of a speaker creating a certain sound pressure level from a given input with high figures representing a more efficient speaker."

Assuming the same measurement techniques for two different speakers, a 3dB increase in sensitivity will halve the power requirement to play at a paricular SPL. In other words, if my speakers are rated at 91, and yours are rated at 88, I will need half the power you'll need for the same SPL.

It will make a difference in the volume the two speakers will produce given the same gear/power.
    Sweet, the R50s are sounding like a great bang for the buck deal.

Member Sales Rating: (27)

I like the Old Klipsch's ratings....

102db+ Nominal! Man i tell ya, when you hear 115+db from two speakers and still sounds sweet......that sorda changes your expectations of a speaker....lol

to bad I don't like the Klipsch sound eh...
    www.Vr3Mods.com ///// www.Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro

Member Sales Rating: (58)

What that sounds like is called uncomfortable. Klipsch are way too sharp for my ears, screw that horn loaded thing, I need to hear.

Thread Information