Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Default More interesting stuff from Bose

I thought this was kinda interesting. All in one HDTV w/built in audio system. Check out the video links at the bottom.

http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/...ave/index.jsp#

Member Sales Rating: (14)

I thin they are extremely smart. This product I can see going in Master Bedrooms , Den's , Smaller Familyrooms , Basement Kids Play areas , Sunrooms , Garages , Etc.
    This product was designed with the demand of clean and I don't wanna see anything. Most of you don't realize how Important a product like this is to the market. I foresee this product being followed by 50 , 55 , 58 , 60 , 65 , 70 inch models. The 40-49 inch sizes are becoming a thing of the past. A few Years ago a 50 inch TV was considered a perfect size for many small to mid size rooms. That has been replaced by the 55-60 inch models.
    Sound bars are a craze to get better sound without having speakers all over the place. But they still require a Subwoofer in the room. In higher end jobs they go for the In wall , In floor subwoofers which by nature are hidden.
    this combines all those types of Ideas into one unit. I love it.
    I'll say this if they offer a 50 inch model , I would buy one for my bedroom. I have In walls for 2 channel stereo that I can use for TV watching. I would much rather a Sound bar 5.1 or this type of thing all in one.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

More and more stuff to go wrong in one package. That's not a critique of Bose at all; more of a societal observation.
    all the best,
    mrh

Member Sales Rating: (0)

More and more stuff to go wrong in one package.
    That's the idea behind most new stuff sold these days. We've become a "throw-away" society. Buy it today, break it tomorrow, throw it away and buy a new one the same day. Convenience and ease of use are the key features most people want these days. Sad but true.

Member Sales Rating: (55)

[QUOTE=mantis;1658773] Most of you don't realize how Important a product like this is to the market. /QUOTE]

I don't think you realize just how full of yourself you are.

Quote Originally Posted by mantis View Post
    I thin they are extremely smart. This product I can see going in Master Bedrooms , Den's , Smaller Familyrooms , Basement Kids Play areas , Sunrooms , Garages , Etc.
    This product was designed with the demand of clean and I don't wanna see anything. Most of you don't realize how Important a product like this is to the market. I foresee this product being followed by 50 , 55 , 58 , 60 , 65 , 70 inch models. The 40-49 inch sizes are becoming a thing of the past. A few Years ago a 50 inch TV was considered a perfect size for many small to mid size rooms. That has been replaced by the 55-60 inch models.
    Sound bars are a craze to get better sound without having speakers all over the place. But they still require a Subwoofer in the room. In higher end jobs they go for the In wall , In floor subwoofers which by nature are hidden.
    this combines all those types of Ideas into one unit. I love it.
    I'll say this if they offer a 50 inch model , I would buy one for my bedroom. I have In walls for 2 channel stereo that I can use for TV watching. I would much rather a Sound bar 5.1 or this type of thing all in one.
    Clever idea indeed and there is definitely a market for it but...

Quote Originally Posted by mhardy6647 View Post
    More and more stuff to go wrong in one package. That's not a critique of Bose at all; more of a societal observation.
    Exactly! Nothing against Bose, this could have come from any other manufacturers. Anyone with experience with some other type of combo units? IE: TV/VCR, client has issue with TV, losses VCR at the same time. Just about any combo of the sort you really must think about the pros and cons of buying such. In this specific case, that is a lot of dow involved if you loose the combo package due to a portion of it failing. Personally, I would much prefer to buy separates even if it involves an SB.

Quote Originally Posted by decal View Post
    That's the idea behind most new stuff sold these days. We've become a "throw-away" society. Buy it today, break it tomorrow, throw it away and buy a new one the same day. Convenience and ease of use are the key features most people want these days. Sad but true.
    Welcome to the era of throw away technology which BTW has been around for decades already. It sure is worsening as years go by but it has been around for a good 20 years already.
    DARE TO SOAR:
    “Your attitude, almost always determine your altitude in life” ;)

The critique of "throw-away society" is misplaced, or at least seems to be to me. The throwaway aspect of modern electronics is more a bi-product of their complexity, not something manufacturers specifically design for. I know most of you don't believe this, and think that it's all a big scam by major manufacturers to keep you buying new things all the time, but... I disagree.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.

Not a scam per se, but there's been a sea change in consumers' mentality - hardware robustness is no longer selected for in the market, because the market's become used to very radical changes in apparently fundamental technology occurring in very short time frames (6 to 9 month "duty cycles"). If 12-month-old hardware is incompatible with (or too slow for) "today's technology", there's no reason for hardware to last for more than 12 months. During the economic boomtimes, consumers got used to being able to afford, and thus justify (rationalize) procuring the latest and greatest on short time cycles (e.g., 6 to 12 months). After a decade or so of this, evolutionarily speaking, there was no selective pressure (i.e., compelling reason) to engineer longevity into products. For example, packing more and more transistors per square micron of chip area increases the heat generated by the chip; not as big a deal if the chip only has to last 12 months as it would be if the designers wished to engineer a 10 year life expectancy into it.
    all the best,
    mrh

I'm sorry but a $5400 TV that's mot even a 50" or beats out a Kuro? Give me a break... I'll spend that kind of money elsewhere.

The concept is cool. Not as thin as a Plasma but not as thick as a DLP TV so it's a happy medium. But the first thing Bose did bad was putting there name on a TV that will now be criticized like all their equipment. I hope the TV receives good reviews.

Hell just to add fuel to the fire... I could buy a 55~" Sony XBR set which is quite expensive and a separate sound bar with sub for less than this setup.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

At $5349 for a screen that size they will not sell. Period. Having worked in retail before I know that 95% of people want the CHEAPEST thing they can get their hands on.

Quote Originally Posted by leadfoot1 View Post
    At $5349 for a screen that size they will not sell. Period. Having worked in retail before I know that 95% of people want the CHEAPEST thing they can get their hands on.
    I'd say Bose proved that wrong a while ago. Or at least, they're happy with that 5%.

Quote Originally Posted by bobman1235 View Post
    The critique of "throw-away society" is misplaced, or at least seems to be to me. The throwaway aspect of modern electronics is more a bi-product of their complexity, not something manufacturers specifically design for. I know most of you don't believe this, and think that it's all a big scam by major manufacturers to keep you buying new things all the time, but... I disagree.
    No one is talking about any scam here. Your point is well taken on the complexity aspect and is real however, without being a scam this technology is very costly if you compare it to its longevity and to buyers are used to pay top dollar for quality, this ratio is no longer there. While IC technologies are complex and amasing nowadays, its lifespan is compromised exactly for the reasons mhardy6647 states.

If we are to go back to the OP another big issue but specific to that product is that "combo" package is indeed clever but for many might not be the answer when you consider you would loose everything (Video and audio) if the gear was to fail. This is a matter of personal opinion but personally, the perspectice of loosing the entire investment (Video and audio) is more than enough to turn me of from such a package (especially when considering its cost).

Not a scam per se, but there's been a sea change in consumers' mentality - hardware robustness is no longer selected for in the market, because the market's become used to very radical changes in apparently fundamental technology occurring in very short time frames (6 to 9 month "duty cycles"). If 12-month-old hardware is incompatible with (or too slow for) "today's technology", there's no reason for hardware to last for more than 12 months. During the economic boomtimes, consumers got used to being able to afford, and thus justify (rationalize) procuring the latest and greatest on short time cycles (e.g., 6 to 12 months). After a decade or so of this, evolutionarily speaking, there was no selective pressure (i.e., compelling reason) to engineer longevity into products. For example, packing more and more transistors per square micron of chip area increases the heat generated by the chip; not as big a deal if the chip only has to last 12 months as it would be if the designers wished to engineer a 10 year life expectancy into it.
    DARE TO SOAR:
    “Your attitude, almost always determine your altitude in life” ;)

What makes me full of myself. I'm stating what I see in the field which is something you have no experience with. Mind your manners please.
    Dan

Bose is probably one of the most rock solid companies on the market today. I have Installed them for over 12 years and never once saw a broken anything Bose. Their stuff is built to last. Not everyone can afford what they sell or is in the market for that they offer. Most forum members here probably will never own anything Bose unless it comes with their car or boat.

This product will probably sell to many people. They would not have designed and brought this to market if they felt it wasn't going to sell. Think about Bose over the last 20 years and tell me they didn't do something right?
    Dan

They did do something right. Marketing.

I've known a few people who've owned Bose stuff. None of it lasted more than a couple years. My dad bought a Wave radio and the buttons stopped working after about two years (this was an earlier version, before they eschewed buttons altogether and instead had the ONLY controls be an easily lost or broken remote. Genius).

My cousin bought some CD changer thing and it stopped changing CDs after about a year, making a horrible grinding noise instead.

Built to last my ass.

Most forum members here probably will never own anything Bose unless it comes with their car or boat.
    ...and there is a reason for this. The second to worst car stereo I've ever heard is factory installed in my 2005 Chevy Trailblazer. Yep, Bose. The worst was a factory installed Bose in my old Infinity Q45. This is no exaggeration. Why oh why did Chevy integrate everything into this damn stereo?! I want to rip it out so bad I can taste it. Unfortunately taking it out is something akin to electronic surgery.

This product will probably sell to many people.
    Debatable. How do you define many? It won't gain a significant market share, thats for sure. Reasonable people will buy less expensive sets, and those that Bose are targeting will probably lose their market share to Apple's new TV.

Think about Bose over the last 20 years and tell me they didn't do something right?
    Marketing does not necessarily equal quality. How many of you own Dr. Dre Beats headphones? I was at a basketball tournament and these headphones represented about 95% of all headphones in the gym. Excellent marketing. Still pale in comparison to AKG and Audio-Technica offerings at a fraction of the cost. See any similarities here?

What is up with the Bose hype lately? Bose got you on some sort of internet message board sales commission plan?

Most of you don't realize how Important a product like this is to the market.
    LOL - thanks for that bit of insight!
    Do you hear that buzzing noise?

Member Sales Rating: (16)

More and more stuff to go wrong in one package.
    I like the concept, but that was my first thought, exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Jam View Post
    ...and there is a reason for this. The second to worst car stereo I've ever heard is factory installed in my 2005 Chevy Trailblazer. Yep, Bose. The worst was a factory installed Bose in my old Infinity Q45. This is no exaggeration. Why oh why did Chevy integrate everything into this damn stereo?! I want to rip it out so bad I can taste it. Unfortunately taking it out is something akin to electronic surgery.
    I don't know about the factory installed systems, but way back in the late 80's, I had a 1401 Series II w/Blaupunkt AM/FM Cassette all custom installed into a 78 Chevy Malibu and that system rocked.

While it's fashionable to decry Bose as "all hat (marketing), no cowboy", in fact the folks at One the Mountain in Framingham, MA have always had and still maintain an extensive and very capable engineering organization. Just because virtually all "audiophiles" look down their noses at Boses :-) doesn't do justice to their very serious dedication to the "hard" side of the business.

Nope, I am not a fan of Bose products, either, but I also try to be open minded and objective in my assessment of them - and most everything else in this game.
    all the best,
    mrh

By the way.... of course, as an installer, you would love Bose. They're bought by people rich enough to afford Bose, but stupid enough to have to pay someone to INSTALL them. What is there to install exactly? They're designed to be as plug and play as possible. It would be like if I were a computer installer, I would be in LOVE with Apple, because rich idiots would pay me a fortune to come to their houses and plug an iMac into the wall.

In terms of crappy "Bose" systems in cars, I don't think a single car system is made by or designed by Bose at all. They just license the name for another company to handle it.

Most Nissan (Nissan and Infiniti) systems are made by Clarion and a Bose name tag is slapped on it.
    Living room:
    Samsung PN50B860 50" Plasma : Oppo BDP-103 : Roku 3 : Denon AVR-2808Ci : Definitive Tech ProMonitor 800 R&L : ProCenter 1000 : Polk FXi 3 Surrounds : Twin Velodyne SPL 10 Series II's :

2Ch:
    Polk LSi 9's : Parasound HCA 1500A : Pro-Ject Debut Carbon : Cambridge 640P Phono Stage : Musical Fidelity M1 S DAC : APC H15 : MacBook Pro Retina :

Bose 901 owners who bought their speakers at the same time I bought my Polk SDA CRS+ have had to spend their money on refoaming drivers, possibly also fixing the equalizer. I have been spending my money on my speakers upgrading them instead. I dropped one speaker separating the drivers, but that is my fault not the fault of the manufacture.

We have gained much for the convenience of modern electronics at the expense of longevity. My great grandfather's fridge is still being used as the main fridge at my family's lake house. It was made in the 20's. My uncle still drives his 1930's era ford pickup truck. Neither one has anything fancy on it, but it lasts.

A tube amp can last a very long time, but it doesn't have 50 different options or fit in your backpack. Edison's light bulb still burns.

If you have a HTIB, then if the dvd or cd player goes, your entire system is essentially worthless except for reusing the speakers minus the sub. Again, convenience and price over longevity. By buying more expensive components piece by piece you most likely will have a longer lasting and easier to repair system. But if you are stuck in a particular budget and aren't that concerned, the HTIB or this Bose system may be for you. Just be prepared for the day you can't give it away, like my heavy old CRT rear projection TV that was not HD despite a great picture. Of course, you can't give away old pianos anymore either as the cost of moving it is more than the value. That didn't stop me from picking up a free Piano though. I paid good money for some Czech boys to move the thing, and I think I underpaid them after I saw how heavy it was.

There will always be the masses, and then there will always be people who want more than what is offered to the masses and that would include me.

Polk Audio SDA CRS+ (4.1TL by Trey, Larry's Rings)-
    SDA SRS2-Parasound HCA1500ax2/1000
    Yamaha xa1000-Celestion SL6S presence,- sl9 surround back
    NHTsuper1's surround
    Nad2700-sub, AdcomGFA-555 -Magnepan SMG
    Parasound 1500pre- Sofia "Baby" tube amp - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
    Marantz 2230/B&Kst140- outdoor B&W/Bose/Parasound/KefC75/c40/Polksub
    Technics 1200mk2
    Gamertag: IslandBerserker
    I am but a infinitesimally small point meeting the line of infinity in the SDA universe

Member Sales Rating: (8)

GG doesn't have manners...no one here wants to see him display manners..he has no manners to mind

I do fully understand this resentment to Bose .That aside has anyone actually seen or listened to this tv. Only once did I see a late night infomercial on the product and that was it. I thought they would be bombarding the addwaves w/ this thing.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I am not so sure 'interesting' and 'Bose' should ever be used in the same sentence......
    --Gary--

Member Sales Rating: (55)

What makes me full of myself. I'm stating what I see in the field which is something you have no experience with. Mind your manners please.
    No experience? I've been buying and selling audio since before you were born Mr. Prophet. In the field? Left field?

Member Sales Rating: (4)

There's a lot of people that put no thought into buying stuff, they just write the check.
    (or swipe the plastic) I do use the built in speakers on tv's most of the time, only turning on the
    HT stuff here and there to watch a movie. I would NEVER spend that kind of money on a tv set.
    Certainly not to put it in a bedroom. But the market will decide, not me. I'm a very small part
    of the target market. Like GG, I'm over 50 and don't use most of that crap anyhow.
    I go upstairs during prime time and listen to music.
    Last edited by sucks2beme; 10-05-2011 at 08:18 AM.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson

Member Sales Rating: (5)

This is definitely the wrong place to look for Bose fans. I appreciate the Mantis perspective (don't agree with it, but respect it) because he does deal with a certain set of customers that Bose goes after. To me, Bose is sort of like an American version of Bang & Olufsen (high prices, nice design, mediocre technology). They're are probably gonna be around for a while. You don't have to sell too much $1500 technology if you're getting $5500 for it.
    Sony 60'' SXRD 1080p
    Amp = Carver AV-705THX 5-Channel
    Processor = NAD T747
    Panasonic BD35 Blu-Ray
    Main = SDA-1C Studio with RD0s, spikes, XO rebuild, rings, I/C upgrade
    Center=Polk CS10, Surround = Athena Dipoles, Sub= Boston 12HO
    Music/Video Streaming = Netgear NEO550
    TT = Audio Technica

Member Sales Rating: (24)

A guy I work with used to be a manager of a Bose store and told me about this. I'm not a fan to be honest of anything Bose and think its very over priced and the quality of their parts are low. He told me about how the company's run and its nice to work for but doesn't IMO treat the customer's always the best.

To me I would really like to see how this performs in a home rather than in a set up showroom that Bose designed. Everything I've heard it peoples homes didn't impress me all that much and I'm sure this would be probably the same. Also using a 46" LCD is um well sad. I could see a nice LED with local dimming fully backlit but LCD? no thanks...
    2 Channel-
    Soundlab M3PX
    BAT VK-31
    Wyred SX1000 monos
    Esoteric DV50
    Dynavector p75 modded phono stage
    Rega P25 modded-Denon 103R Cart
    Squeezebox Touch
    Modded Music Hall DAC Burson op amps
    Richard Grey 600S
    MIT Shotgun IC's and SC

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I'm not downing Bose in any way, 'cause let's face it... We all know they're a giant scam. That said, I don't see this product as anything significant in the market, since it is priced outside of what the average consumer is willing to pay and the enthusiast market will realize that there are better options for that price point. I think a more relevant technology to the consumer market is the work that Audyssey is doing with bass extension for flat panels or that tech (can't remember the company) that uses the screen itself as a diaphragm for the bass reproduction. Stuff like that will actually have a shot of ending up in consumer products... whereas this bizarre TV/soundbar/waveguide amalgam seems a little too specific for its own good.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen

Quote Originally Posted by cstmar01 View Post
    Also using a 46" LCD is um well sad. I could see a nice LED with local dimming fully backlit but LCD? no thanks...
    Completely off-topic, but "LED TV's" as they're marketed today ARE LCD TV's. They're just backlit by LEDs rather than indirect lighting. But they still use LCD technology, so an "LCD TV" is not necessarily NOT an "LED TV."

Thread Information