Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Default What in your opinion is the best bookshelf speaker new or used in the 700-1200 range

I'm looking for some input on a set of bookies that I'm going to be running with a onix sp3 and a turntable. Let me know what you've heard.

I'm looking at the Von skells Vr-1 or Totem signature 1's so far
    2 CHANNEL
    Speaker - Klipsch Heresy II
    Under construction

Member Sales Rating: (16)

I think you should give LSiM 703's a serious consideration. A little out of budget at $1499 retail, but give them a listen.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Member Sales Rating: (24)

LSi9........
    mole'

I used to run heresy 111 but they are too big in the area I use now. My lsi9's didnt mess well with the tube amp, the tweeters were a little too harsh for me
    2 CHANNEL
    Under construction

Quote Originally Posted by JimBRICK View Post
    I the tweeters were a little too harsh for me
    Huh? Must be some other issue as the LSi's have about the smoothest tweeter going. If those were harsh to you, good luck because you probably won't find too many speakers that are smoother, and completely non-fatiguing nor harsh in your budget. Not to say your other choices like the Totem or the Von's will be harsh, but the LSi tweeter is like butter.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Member Sales Rating: (0)

"Best" is in the eye/ear of the beholder. There is no definitive "best" anything, it's all subjective. When you ask a question like this, the answers will always be what folks think is "best" to them in their system.Their suggestions may or may not be "best" for you.

Member Sales Rating: (47)

something fromTyler or Fritz maybe
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

Ascend acoustics Sierra 1s are nice as are Dynaudio Excite models.
    HT - game room
    Yamaha RX V665 - AVR, Polk Monitor 60's,(HT), Polk Monitor 40's, Polk CS 1, Polk PSW 505, Samsung PN50B550 - 50" Plasma, PS3, Wii

2ch - spare bedroom
    Squeezebox Touch->AQ Alpha Snake->Music Hall A15.2->Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1
    Yamaha S1800(SACD),Technics SL-QD33(TT)
    Head-fi - Sennheiser HD 280, Audio Technica ATH-AD700, B&W P5, Sennheiser HD 650
    Lenovo Laptop-> Dragonfly USB DAC/amp
    Server-QNAP TS110

Quote Originally Posted by decal View Post
    "Best" is in the eye/ear of the beholder. There is no definitive "best" anything, it's all subjective. When you ask a question like this, the answers will always be what folks think is "best" to them in their system.Their suggestions may or may not be "best" for you.
    I'm more looking at stuff people enjoyed, speakers that stood alone without needed a sub. I'm open to anything cause theres alot out there. Tylers look nice too. This Sp3 seems to be able to handle a 4 ohm load no problem
    2 CHANNEL
    Under construction

Monitor Audio RX2. TRUST ME. Do your research on these bad boys.

Member Sales Rating: (58)

Out of the two you spoke specifically about, Totem.

Monitor Audio? No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dorokusai View Post
    Monitor Audio? No thanks.
    That's my thought too!

How about those AAD Monitors Phil had at the last PolkFest. They sounded really good. I forget the model number and I'm not sure of the used price. No sub needed with those.

H9
    Last edited by heiney9; 10-04-2011 at 03:37 PM.

2 CHANNEL
    Under construction

What!? Seriously, what do you guys not like about Monitor Audio? Have you heard the Silver line?

Honestly curious

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Fritz Carbon 7's need no subwoofer, and are laid back in the treble. They've been the best investment I've made in 25 years. Added bonus is that they will ROCK a big room, provided you've got the power. Ask Wes and Bizill about the "Enter Sandman" Demo...LOL I think Bill was in a trance.
    Last edited by steveinaz; 10-04-2011 at 04:46 PM.

Transport: Oppo BDP-103/USB HDD (flac)
    DAC/Preamp: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Cables: Kimber Hero/8TC; DH Labs D-75

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Quote Originally Posted by steveinaz View Post
    Fritz Carbon 7's need no subwoofer, and are laid back in the treble. They've been the best investment I've made in 25 years. Added bonus is that they will ROCK a big room, provided you've got the power. Ask Wes and Bizill about the "Enter Sandman" Demo...LOL I think Bill was in a trance.
    Fritz's are 1 and 2 on my list of need to demo speakers before my next speaker purchase.. although the LSiMs and Totems round out my list

Jason
    2-Channel - So far...
    Pre: Dodd ELP
    DAC: W4S-Dac2
    Source(s): Computer and Denon 2910
    Amp: Parasound HCA-1200II
    Speakers: LSi9s - Vr3 Fortress Mod

Contact Fritz. This is a speaker you need to listen to for a couple days to truly appreciate. It doesn't jump out at you, it sucks you in slowly. Not a 5 minute demo speaker at all. Listen to them, I won't need to explain anything further.

This was one gamble that definitely paid BIG dividends.

Totem, Dynaudio, and ACI Sapphires were my other choices, Sean (Zero) had heard all of those and told me to get an ear on the Carbon 7. Glad I took that advice.
    Last edited by steveinaz; 10-04-2011 at 05:05 PM.

Transport: Oppo BDP-103/USB HDD (flac)
    DAC/Preamp: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Cables: Kimber Hero/8TC; DH Labs D-75

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    I think you should give LSiM 703's a serious consideration. A little out of budget at $1499 retail, but give them a listen.
    +1 on this. The LSiM 703s are the best all aorund bookshelf I've heard to date.

Member Sales Rating: (49)

My vote is Totem !!!
    No Way But The Hard Way, So Get Used To It!!!

Been listening to bookshelves alot lately and my favorite is the B&W PM1 by far. Not the typical B&W house sound you are use to. These are in a different class imo. Makes the 800 series sound like crap. As far as a sub goes any bookshelf imo needs a sub to complete the listening experience. You will miss so much low end without one. These are outside your price range but worth a listen/demo for sure.

I did a a/b back and forth between the Paradigm signature bookshelves and the new PM1 smoked them. Not even in the same class imo.
    Last edited by Evrythngmatters; 10-04-2011 at 05:36 PM.
    Everything matters. That is all.
    Money cannot buy happiness, but it sure can buy a bad ass boat to pull up along side it though.

Member Sales Rating: (23)

Fritz Carbon 7's... listened to a pair about a week ago and was very impressed.........I will own a pair of these in the next few months

Quote Originally Posted by audiocr381ve View Post
    What!? Seriously, what do you guys not like about Monitor Audio? Have you heard the Silver line?

Honestly curious
    I have not heard the Silvers, but I've heard the Gold Line and Platinum line, both in towers and bookshelves.

The Platinums had an excellent fit and finish, plus they sounded awesome, but for that amount of money (4500) I would go many different ways...

I liked the Polk LsiM-703's better than the Gold series bookshelves, and the Polks are cheaper.
    2-Channel:

Source 1: PC
    Source 2: Rega Apollo CDP
    USB > SPDIF Converter: Stello U3
    DAC: Audio GD NFB-7
    Preamp: Audio Research LS-15
    Power Amp: BAT VK-500
    Speakers: Magnepan 3.7's

HT:

Source 1: HTPC
    Source 2: Oppo 103
    Pre/Pro: Marantz av8003
    Power Amp: Rotel RMB-1095
    Fronts: LSiM-705's
    Center: LSiM-704c
    Surrounds: LSiM-702's
    Subs: Dual SVS PC12-NSD's

Quote Originally Posted by audiocr381ve View Post

Honestly curious
    Not a great buy at some of the prices they get. It's a personal thing, nothing really negative to say other than there are alot of speakers in the price range.

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Totems are OK. But I would definitely give the new Polk LSI-Ms a listen as well. Haven't heard the Fritz but Steve has written a lot about them and I'd consider those. I like Dynaudio better than the Totem Rainmakers I've heard....I think I may be in the minority there, or maybe the Rainmakers got too much hype before I got to hear them. They're good, but I was not blown away by them. In fact, I liked my LSI-7s more for their less forward Vifa!

cnh

Dynaudio Focus.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Blech.

Quote Originally Posted by falconcry72 View Post
    I have not heard the Silvers, but I've heard the Gold Line and Platinum line, both in towers and bookshelves.

The Platinums had an excellent fit and finish, plus they sounded awesome, but for that amount of money (4500) I would go many different ways...

I liked the Polk LsiM-703's better than the Gold series bookshelves, and the Polks are cheaper.
    Falcon, is that right? I've been wanting to get me ears on the Gold series for awhile now. Could you elaborate a little on your experience with both? I'd love to get more bang for my buck.

H9, that's totally fair. I respect that.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

I could listen to my Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grands all day... and sometimes I do!
    7.1 - polk RTi10 x 3 (LCR) : FXi3 x 2 : RTi4 x 4 : MFW-15 (RIP): Yamaha Aventage RX-A1000 : Adcom GFA-7500 : PS3 : Squeezebox Touch : DIRECTV : Panasonic PT-AX200U PJ @120"
    5.1 - Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 x 4 : ProCenter 1000 : Klipsch Sub-10 : Onkyo TX-SR575 : DIRECTV HR22 DVR : LG 50PQ30 HDTV
    Garage Duty - polk Monitor 10s : Pioneer A-717 Integrated Amp : Squeezebox Classic

Member Sales Rating: (10)

while not bookshelves these are hard to beat and counting bookshelves and stands about the same footprint. you will not be lacking bass.
    http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....1-White-Finish
    Main system
    http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...pin&1162599347 Freelance reviewer for StereoMojo

Love Usher Audio.

Thread Information