Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Default HK-730.........Common ground?

Hey all, just picked up a vintage Harmon Kardon HK-730 receiver and although it is a dual mono design, I was curious if it was possibly a common ground amp. Much like the first series of Aragon 4004, 2004 amps. I picked it up to see how it would match with my RTA 12Cs. Thought about hooking it up to the CRS' (pin/blade) to have a listen as well but don't want to blow anything up. Have read nothing but good about the quality of sound and bass extension from "just" 40 WPC.

And WOW, this thing is a heavy mother.

stubby
    SDA SRS
    Denon POA 2400
    Rotel RSP 1068

Member Sales Rating: (45)

I can't answer your question, but that baby gets rave reviews. Share your thoughts in the future. I want one for the man cave rig.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by stubby View Post
    Hey all, just picked up a vintage Harmon Kardon HK-730 receiver and although it is a dual mono design, I was curious if it was possibly a common ground amp. Much like the first series of Aragon 4004, 2004 amps. I picked it up to see how it would match with my RTA 12Cs. Thought about hooking it up to the CRS' (pin/blade) to have a listen as well but don't want to blow anything up. Have read nothing but good about the quality of sound and bass extension from "just" 40 WPC.

stubby
    40 watts, from that H/K, is alot of clean, pure power, My brother had one,, blew away his friends 100 WPC Kenwood,
    Not an Audiophile, just a dude who loves music, and decent gear to hear it with.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Check it with a multimeter?

Can't you check it with a multimeter? Just set it to low range resistance and read between the two ground posts, if it is common ground you should read very low resistance, close to zero ohms...

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin.Wright View Post
    Can't you check it with a multimeter? Just set it to low range resistance and read between the two ground posts, if it is common ground you should read very low resistance, close to zero ohms...
    Good idea! Broke out the trusty Craftsmen multi-meter and got a reading of .4 ohms. Is that low enough?

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Quote Originally Posted by stubby View Post

stubby
    I just picked up one of these, myself, and can't agree with your appraisal more! Not sure if it's common ground. I kind of doubt it, because those power transformers are truly separate. It's almost like a Dual Mono design. But I'm no amp design expert. Some of the guys probably know.

But you're right about the weight of the bass on this. Mine may need some tuner alignment because it's not pulling in as many FM station as it could, but otherwise it's in great shape.

Just picked up a set of Monitor 10As this evening and will fire those up tomorrow on this.

Enjoy...it's one nice vintage piece!

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Broke out the trusty Craftsmen multi-meter and got a reading of .4 ohms. Is that low enough?
    0.4 ohms? Yeah, it's common ground.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    0.4 ohms? Yeah, it's common ground.
    Great! Thats what I wanted to hear. Thanks to everyone for their input. Will put it through its paces this weekend.

stubby

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Very, very nice receiver is the hk730. Not nearly as common as the less powerful (and less expensive) but also very nice hk430.
    The none-too-common hk A402 integrated amp is - as far as I can tell - the preamp and amp of the 730, sans tuner.

Free tip: Vintage Polk Audio loudspeakers mate very well with the hk 330C/430/730 generation of receivers.
    all the best,
    mrh

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Free tip: Vintage Polk Audio loudspeakers mate very well with the hk 330C/430/730 generation of receivers.

Yeah, it's a 430, not a 730... but they look almost identical (the 730 has a little pushbutton - which IIRC is a dimmer for the blackout dial lighting? - just below and to the right of the tuning knob)... and they both love the Polks! :-)

BTW, in case you didn't know, hk has many, many of its legacy models' manuals on-line at www.harmankardon.com
    or, more specifically, http://www.harmankardon.com/EN-US/Su...tOverView.aspx

The hk730 manual may be downloaded from http://www.harmankardon.com/resource...HK730%20om.pdf
    all the best,
    mrh

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Nice ad. I'm glad we have a lot of good Tech-heads on this site, .4 ohms! Yet 'another' meter I need to pick up. Does it EVER end?

When I need quick Tech input, I usually consult a friend who has advanced Degrees from MIT (the University in Cambridge, not the cables; lol) and is a brilliant software engineer--among other things. He runs a set of Boston A200s. A very nice speaker, BTW!

I just picked up my Monitor 10s (Peerless) last night. What a nice speaker that is! So far I've hooked them up to the Marantz 2265 (and they actually sound pretty good with the Marantz--I've found the Marantz varies a lot according to the speakers).

Up next the HK 730 and Polk M-10s! That should be something. But I might not get to that till later. Daughter is home today and a trip to the Mall is obligatory! I have no classes in the afternoon on Fridays! Friday afternoons are 'good'!

cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 10-07-2011 at 01:42 PM.
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

mhardy - thanks for posting the cool vintage ad! Going to find out how nice a match vintage Polk/HK products are this evening. Will post my "findings" later.

stubby

Thread Information