Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Default Whirlpool "Gold" edition refrigerator down again!!

Bought new from Lowes last April. Had the unit about 5 weeks and the compressor failed. Lowes was good about it and swapped out the fridge due to length of time to repair...fair enough.

Now just a few months outside of the warranty the compressor seems to have failed on this one! WTF, you can only get about a year out of their fridge!? My wife seems to remember the repair guy last year said that the Whirlpool units with bottom freezers were known to have bad compressors....anybody ever hear this?

Quote Originally Posted by muncybob View Post
    Bought new from Lowes last April. Had the unit about 5 weeks and the compressor failed. Lowes was good about it and swapped out the fridge due to length of time to repair...fair enough.

Now just a few months outside of the warranty the compressor seems to have failed on this one! WTF, you can only get about a year out of their fridge!? My wife seems to remember the repair guy last year said that the Whirlpool units with bottom freezers were known to have bad compressors....anybody ever hear this?
    Don't know if it's just Whirlpool's that have that problem. Most brands that have a freezer on the bottom have shorter lives than those that have the freezer on the top. Although that being said you should at least expect more than a year out of one, but they do not last 20yrs like most other's

From what I was told by someone that works on them. It's a lot harder to push cold air up so that is the culprit.

Member Sales Rating: (22)

Directly over the center of the earth in Olathe Kansas

If it helps and you are inclined check out repairclinic.com
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs

Ofc: Wright WLA12 preamp: Anthem Amp 1: Pio Elite DV-79AVI: Airport Express: CAL Sigma II DAC: PA LS90 sonicaps and mills

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    Don't know if it's just Whirlpool's that have that problem. Most brands that have a freezer on the bottom have shorter lives than those that have the freezer on the top. Although that being said you should at least expect more than a year out of one, but they do not last 20yrs like most other's

From what I was told by someone that works on them. It's a lot harder to push cold air up so that is the culprit.
    My dearly departed Grandmother had a bottom freezer unit from the early 60's that was still going strong when she passed in the the mid 90's. Maybe they just made things better then, who knows?

Member Sales Rating: (37)

Call the competition, that Maytag repair dude they always show sitting on his kister with nothing to repair
    VTL ST50 w/mods/RCA6L6GC/TlfnknECC801S
    CJPV-5 w/mods
    TT CJ Sonographe SG3 Oak/Sumiko LMT/Grado Wood Plat/Sumiko PIB2/The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020/Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9/Vibrapods/MIT Shtgn AC1 IEC's/MIT Shotgun 2 IC's/MIT Shtgn 2 Speaker
    PSAudio Cryo PwrPrt Prem/ExctPwrEP15A
    Wlnt SDA 2B TL/Oak SDA SRS II TL-Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Cust SDA ICs/Mortite/Dynamat Extreme/TFLF Rings/FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels

Quote Originally Posted by inspiredsports View Post
    Call the competition, that Maytag repair dude they always show sitting on his kister with nothing to repair
    Maytag was bought out by Whirlpool they're now mostly alike in their inerds.

repairclinic.com is a very good site!!

Member Sales Rating: (6)

I had the thermostat die on mine once but never the compressor, but I'm sure it would act the same. Mine is 7 years old now.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Maytag is not___ the quality product it used to be. Sorry to hear about the Whirlpool problems Bob.

Repairclinic is a great resource! Fortunately I found my receipt and I did purchase the extended warranty, which for me is unusual. Repair guy to be here today and I guess a few more days living out of the summertime cooler and running for ice. I can understand how these units may not last as long, but 2 compressors in a little over a year...come on!

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Ugh!!! I feel your pain Bob, please don't tell us these compressors are made in China.

Quote Originally Posted by muncybob View Post
    Fortunately I found my receipt and I did purchase the extended warranty, which for me is unusual.

The GODS shined on you that day. I'm right there with you I normally will not buy the Xtended warranty for appliances because most cost almost 1/2 of what new would cost.

Maybe you should google your model and see what comes up maybe there're many folks like yourself that bought this model and are also going through compressors could be more to it than what meets the eye......

Member Sales Rating: (2)

As appliances have become a fashion industry (i.e., subject to frequent "remodeling" as cultural tastes change - woe to he with stainless steel appliances, that's so five years ago), coupled with other market forces, the design lifespan of major appliances (which used to be one to two decades) now seems to be ca. 5 to 7 years. Further, there is no "selective pressure" (in the evolutionary sense of the term) to "incentivize" manufacturers or their engineers to design these products to last any longer than their warranty period as repairs have become burdensome ("what do you mean, you'll be at my house tomorrow sometime between 9AM and 4PM?") and too expensive to be cost-effective for even these rather expensive products.

Just my hardly-humble musings, of course, with no real basis in fact other than my own increasingly cynical worldview.
    all the best,
    mrh

Member Sales Rating: (4)

The true mark of a good appliance is when you no longer
    remember how long ago you bought it. Too many makers
    have forgotten that, even though shorter lifespans sell more units,
    the replacement will be the other guy's.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson

Well, repair guy says it's not the compressor but a relay of some sort that needs to be replaced...another several days living out of a cooler. The thing is, Whirlpool had a recall on this known problem and I could have had it fixed before the failure if we would have been notified of the recall....grrrr!

Hmmm..... Sounds like a thermostat to me.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

That sucks... I went to my parents this weekend to watch football with Dad and I found out that the 7yr old GE fridge they spent $3,000 on had the water dispensing valve blow a seal.

It leaked water all under the fridge and destroyed the 5yr old hardwood flooring... It's all buckled under and in front of the fridge and spread under the pantry.

Now the 5yr old hardwood floor is all getting ripped out and Dad is installing tile for the kitchen, what a waste...
    Living room:
    Samsung PN50B860 50" Plasma : Oppo BDP-103 : Roku 3 : Denon AVR-2808Ci : Definitive Tech ProMonitor 800 R&L : ProCenter 1000 : Polk FXi 3 Surrounds : Twin Velodyne SPL 10 Series II's :

2Ch:
    Polk LSi 9's : Parasound HCA 1500A : Pro-Ject Debut Carbon : Cambridge 640P Phono Stage : Musical Fidelity M1 S DAC : APC H15 : MacBook Pro Retina :

We were considering a bottom freezer model but after reading this are having second thoughts. Other than a subscription service like Consumer Reports, is there a reliable site to obtain reliability data on appliances ? Figured I would ask here since you guys are generally full of good suggestions. Thanks in advance.

I don't think anyone is making a device to work for ever... They wish you to pay for any repairs later.

Then again You make some Great devices, and they work for ever.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

Quote Originally Posted by disneyjoe7 View Post
    I don't think anyone is making a device to work for ever... They wish you to pay for any repairs later.

Then again You make some Great devices, and they work for ever.
    Agreed, but I'd like to rule out the true turkeys at the starting line.

Member Sales Rating: (8)

At a comfortable distance.... gaining perspective

We are at the 16-17 month point in owning a "Gold", bottom freezer, single door fridge...........so far, so good. (knock stainless & wood!)

Quote Originally Posted by nap View Post
    Agreed, but I'd like to rule out the true turkeys at the starting line.

LOL, but I don't think Whirlpool is a turkey, and I know you could buy worst. Not saying they put in those "Service Guys" parts so you need to service now and then, every device from Frig to TV as something that will die first.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

Member Sales Rating: (11)

My Whirlpool Gold Edition microwave just crapped out today... the touch screen display stopped responding. Fortunately was an easy fix by cleaning out the connectors ribbon connectors inside the unit. This unit is designed more like a laptop inside than a microwave oven. I'm not surprised it developed issues. I do not think it will last too long. It is definitely not industrial grade.

I've been looking around on the net and I think I will just need to break down and subscribe to Consumer Reports.

Knock on wood, all my kitchen appliances are 10+ years old and not a single problem....yet. All Kitchenaid too. Of coarse now that I said that,something will blow up now.
    I'm not beholden to any one brand of appliances these days. They all seem to have set the bar so low that anything that lives beyond 5 years is a rockstar these days. One thing I have noticed in the evolution of kichen appliances, the more techy they are, the more they cost upfront and to repair/replace. This is more prevelant in fridges and stoves. Why do you need a display on the front to tell you how cold the inside is ? Can't you just open the door, stick your hand in there and see ? Kinda like a lightswitch, do you need to put the words on and off on it ? If it's on,you can see that. If a fridge is cold,you can feel that. For me anyway, I want the tech on the inside,to make it last longer.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    One thing I have noticed in the evolution of kichen appliances, the more techy they are, the more they cost upfront and to repair/replace. This is more prevelant in fridges and stoves. Why do you need a display on the front to tell you how cold the inside is ? Can't you just open the door, stick your hand in there and see ? Kinda like a lightswitch, do you need to put the words on and off on it ? If it's on,you can see that. If a fridge is cold,you can feel that. For me anyway, I want the tech on the inside,to make it last longer.
    Mostly I agree with you. Many of the so called "features" are not really adding any value. Most of these appliance manufacturers need to get with the times. There are plenty of really useful features they can build in. I'd love for microwaves to scan a code on prepared dinners and know how to cook them. I'd love for appliances to connect to my wifi network and provide diagnostic information over the web.

Another set of things that could do with innovation are lawn and garden tools. Come on folks, why do I need so many tools? I'd rather find one super tool - lawnmower, edger, brush cutter, snowblower and generator in one. How cool would that be? Even if it cost a couple of grand it would save so much space, and they could make the engine really efficient. Its plain waste to have all these low quality engines sitting around.

There is plenty of space for innovation, but I guess all these folks are busy trying to slash costs with no differentiation.
    Last edited by anonymouse; 10-15-2011 at 08:43 AM.

Does everyone know that Whirlpool owns the following?

Maytag
    Amana
    KitchenAid
    Jenn-Air

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

Does everyone know that Whirlpool owns the following?

Maytag
    Amana
    KitchenAid
    Jenn-Air
    Si. I found that out in researching appliances yesterday.
    The gist of the article I was reading was that even though they are are owned by the same company differences in reliablitiy exist. I believe the same article stated they also contract manufacture for Sears Kenmore.

Sears doesn't make a thing I believe, they have other manufactors make there stuff with there specs for them. At least that what they did years ago.

Then every manufactor makes a low line for marketing and a high line for marketing sometimes you get what you pay for.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

Then every manufactor makes a low line for marketing and a high line for marketing sometimes you get what you pay for.
    I think the issue with Whirlpool is that their high lines are crap as well. I have a Kitchenaid - one of their higher end lines, that has had nothing but issues. Its 5 years old and I have replaced the Icemaker motor, main control board for the icemaker and the water inlet valve. All three failed. Guess what - they share the same crappy parts with their lower end Whirlpool lines.

My whirlpool gold microwave - built cheaply inside.

If you pay premium, you expect more than cosmetic differences - you would hope they put some better internals in there, but this is not the case.

I understand what you're saying, I'm sure if they design a water value then that design flows though the whole line so to speak. The same with any part so to speak. But I think Amana is there low line, where yes the KitchenAid is the high line, Whirlpool is the mid line but has a low side and a high side of that also.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer