Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (58)

Default LCD TV Picture Out

Our small kitchen LCD just stopped displaying picture but I have sound and channel changing ability. It's not outlet or cable box related. Do you believe it's just the bulb and beings it's not that large, is it worth replacing that part at all? Anone fix a small LCD by any chance? Does it even have a bulb? I have no idea.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Generally when a flat screen goes out its usually the power supply (we have repaired a few sitting by the dumpster for $60-$80), but in your case it sound a little more involved. But generally speaking the small sets are ususally not worth fixing. FYI I am not a TV repair guy
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I would tend to agree on the power supply. Pretty much makes them throw aways. My power supply on my samsung 22 in computer monitor is on the way out, to have someone repair it costs more that a new screen. Less than 5 years old too.

doro,

take a bright flashlight and shine it against the panel. Anywhere from 4-12" should generate enough luminance to see if the back light failed. The flashlight should show the pixels changing in the panel. If you still can't see anything, then it may be what others have suggested or something else. I would think a back light would be a hell of a lot cheaper then something else for repair.

Drenis - I'll try that, thanks. For the size, 15", I've found them for $100 so I don't think I'll waste too much time.

Wouldn't the power supply cause everything to not work? That backlight comment makes sense....is that just a weird or specialized bulb? I've never opened one up. I thought the whole panel was a charged source.

It's not the power supply, but on a smaller flat panel that would be the only thing I would even think about replacing before just buying a new one
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

Quote Originally Posted by txcoastal1 View Post
    It's not the power supply, but on a smaller flat panel that would be the only thing I would even think about replacing before just buying a new one
    Would it happen to be a Samsung?

Anyway, the same thing happened to mine. It was a slow degradation till there was no picture. The capacitors were burned out.

I got mine fixed at a local shop for $120.
    ~Dan
    --------

Projector: Epson 705HD on 106" DaLite
    TV: Samsung 50" Plasma PN50B550
    Receiver: Onkyo 607
    Fronts: Polk 1000i
    Center: Polk Csi40
    Rears: Polk Fxi30
    Sub: Velodyne Minivee 10
    PS3 and Xbox

It looks like a backlight issue and instead of worrying about it, just bought a better one to replace it for $80. It's an Insignia brand with a 2 year warranty. If I get 2 years out of it for $80, that's all I care about. Thanks for the help folks.

They sell Insignia up here too at the local Best Buy. They use some Samsung panels from what I've heard.

There are a range of different back lighting options. I'll assume with your set its a CCFL bulb (Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp). Have a read if you'd like, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backlight

Quote Originally Posted by Drenis View Post
    They sell Insignia up here too at the local Best Buy. They use some Samsung panels from what I've heard.

There are a range of different back lighting options. I'll assume with your set its a CCFL bulb (Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp). Have a read if you'd like, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backlight
    Unsure but sounds right. I'll open up the bad one now that a new one is in place. We're slaves to a TV in the kitchen and my wife was having none of that.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

May not be worth it but if you need a bulb: http://www.ccflwarehouse.com/ccfllamps.html

Thread Information