Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Default TT upgrade question.

I just bought a cheap entry-level tube stage for MM carts and am thrilled with the improvement. I am not sure when I am going to go on to the next upgrade, but I am starting to think about it already.

I am pretty sure that aside from getting some decent tubes, my next best choice is to do something on the TT.

I have a Thorens TD-316 with the stock TP21 tonearm and a shure mx97e cart. I have read that the TP21 is a fairly poor arm and was thinking about getting something like a rega rb300 arm as my next upgrade.

My question is. Do you, the experts, think that a tonearm upgrade is worthwhile or would I be better off getting an entirely new TT? I don't want to spend more than 500 total for an arm, but I can do that sooner than spending a grand on a table (which would probably be my budget down the road). Are there any other options I should be thinking about for improving the sound and experiencing the joy of buying new stuff?

Member Sales Rating: (5)

You might check out the AudioGon listings. There are some Rega turntables listed for less than $500 that include the RB300 arm. You would get a different table to try and if you like yours better then you can move the tonearm to it. Just a thought.
    pre VAC Standard LE, power VAC PA100/100 phi upgrade, analog Origin Live Aurora Mk2, Origin Live Encounter Mk3c, Benz Ebony H, digital Lector 0.6t, speakers Thiel CS2.4, Rel Strata III, cables Audience AU24 e IC, Audience AU24 e SC, power Audience aR1p, Audience aR2p, Audience PowerCord e

Thread Information