Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I think you will like tubed pre/ ss amp combo. Some of the best systems I've heard employ this pairing. Even though my speakers aren't that efficient, they sound great on mid powered tubes, so I didn't have qualms dropping a good chunk on my monoblocks. I've had speakers run through that wanted more than my system could provide though.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Quote Originally Posted by mccarty250 View Post
    Was I invited into the home of these folks or have I kicked in their door wearing stormtrooper boots to impose my will upon them like a post-modern conquistador? Have I come there to conquer and impose my will upon them or was I invited over for dinner and welcomed into their home only to see something I considered less than savory but not illegal? There's a lot I don't see fit and I'm less than politically correct but the world does not await my opinion with bated breath. No clear cut answer can definitively be given. You'll have to provide more specifics to box me into the answer that you want me to give you so you can deconstruct it?

Perhaps you're asking if I was in a home and a bloodbath ensued if i would intervene?
    Nice dance.

I wish you would spend as many cycles responding to me in a more peaceful thread about your opinion regarding SHMCD or perhaps your opinion on SACD versus vinyl, I was curious about what you thought of those formats and comparisons and it was an honest non-flame-baited question for you.
    Where was this?
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

ooo while we are at it,I might as well ask.Do you guys notice a big difference between class A watt and A/B class?As some of the emo a/b amp give less than 1 watt of class A,while some give you 30 class A WATT.

Quote Originally Posted by northernwind View Post
    ooo while we are at it,I might as well ask.Do you guys notice a big difference between class A watt and A/B class?As some of the emo a/b amp give less than 1 watt of class A,while some give you 30 class A WATT.
    Big diff between Class A and A/B? no. At high enough volumes/wattage, the junk you get with class B is inaudible. With my setup, with a crossed sub and smallish room, I spend most of my time <1 watt for reference.

I'm probably gonna move on from class A, dang thing gets so darn hot during the summer.
    2Ch Tube Audio Convert

Quote Originally Posted by aboroth00 View Post
    Big diff between Class A and A/B? no. At high enough volumes/wattage, the junk you get with class B is inaudible. With my setup, with a crossed sub and smallish room, I spend most of my time <1 watt for reference.

I'm probably gonna move on from class A, dang thing gets so darn hot during the summer.
    Lol man that must be bad,I heard it get's hot and some even enough to fry an egg>>Was planning to grab xpa-1L but your post kinda scares me.I like to listen to music through the night as I'm sleeping,can't imagine the room heating up from dual mono block class A.

Quote Originally Posted by northernwind View Post
    Lol man that must be bad,I heard it get's hot and some even enough to fry an egg>>Was planning to grab xpa-1L but your post kinda scares me.I like to listen to music through the night as I'm sleeping,can't imagine the room heating up from dual mono block class A.
    I'm running a high bias Pass Aleph J. Very hot to the touch, prob around 140-150F. The XPA-1L will probably be lower bias and won't run anywhere near what the Pass runs. It definitely heats the room and in 90 degree Socal summers, it's unbearable to be in the same room. It's great now though for winter listening.

I'm sort of curious what the XPA-1L sounds like. Don't think anybody has a pair I know in Socal though :(
    2Ch Tube Audio Convert

Member Sales Rating: (47)

Oh,,i am not at the end yet,,but I can see the lights of my destination..I'm close,
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

Quote Originally Posted by george daniel View Post
    Oh,,i am not at the end yet,,but I can see the lights of my destination..I'm close,
    At 65, yeah you are close.

Just poking George, just poking.
    Last edited by F1nut; 01-02-2014 at 12:20 AM.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

George knows like we all know, the only way out is to walk into the light.
    2Ch Tube Audio Convert

The 'Ladder of Madness' makes me think of the name of a short story that HP Lovecraft would have written. I have to work tomorrow but my sleep schedule is so hosed that I tossed and turned and have surrendered to posting a bit until my eyes shut. Also imbibing an adult beverage maybe that will assist in bringing sleep on.
    The ladder of madness? Sure. It's very tempting to throw money at the problem (audio nervosa), but it never really makes it any better.

That's what i was banking on i.e. the tube/ss combo. Good to hear, that's encouraging. My tube amp works really good with 90 db efficiency or above speakers, I didn't get the bass 'sag' that I described with Klipsch or Polk products but right now I am running some Fried Model R's in my office that are less than efficient so they're liking SS quite a bit more. Ditto for the DQ-20's in that room.

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    I think you will like tubed pre/ ss amp combo. Some of the best systems I've heard employ this pairing. Even though my speakers aren't that efficient, they sound great on mid powered tubes, so I didn't have qualms dropping a good chunk on my monoblocks. I've had speakers run through that wanted more than my system could provide though.

Crap F1, I can't remember, I think it was in 2 channel someone was talking about a potential issue listening to Steely Dan Aja. You commented that you preferred the SHM-CD version and I followed up with an inquiry regarding your thoughts on the format vs sacd etc. I had found that SHM-CD had a little bit sharper highs and a brighter type of production but I wasn't clear if that was based on how the Japanese producers tended to mix things or the format. I'm thinking it's more the former than the latter. That was the crux of it.

God I wish I could fall asleep right now.

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    Nice dance.

Where was this?

I'm running a high bias Pass Aleph J. Very hot to the touch, prob around 140-150F. The XPA-1L will probably be lower bias and won't run anywhere near what the Pass runs. It definitely heats the room and in 90 degree Socal summers, it's unbearable to be in the same room. It's great now though for winter listening.

I'm sort of curious what the XPA-1L sounds like. Don't think anybody has a pair I know in Socal though :(
    Man, I would LOVE to get a listen to a Pass Aleph, I have heard nothing but positive things about them. On my main rig I'm running an M-80 and when I put it into auto-class A mode (first 30 watts) I don't hear much of a difference (again...less than golden ears) but that thing heats up like a space heater. So in reality, I don't utilize it unless I'm doing 'research' and happen to have some high efficiency speakers hooked up to it.

Quote Originally Posted by mccarty250 View Post
    Crap F1, I can't remember, I think it was in 2 channel someone was talking about a potential issue listening to Steely Dan Aja. You commented that you preferred the SHM-CD version and I followed up with an inquiry regarding your thoughts on the format vs sacd etc. I had found that SHM-CD had a little bit sharper highs and a brighter type of production but I wasn't clear if that was based on how the Japanese producers tended to mix things or the format. I'm thinking it's more the former than the latter. That was the crux of it.
    Here you go, http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...15#post1999315

Thank you tres hombres!

Member Sales Rating: (47)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    At 65, yeah you are close.

Just poking George, just poking.
    Hey,, I thought you guys would have picked up on the "whistle stop",,,
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

Thread Information