Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Polk Audio PSW505 amp power supply mod? (120->220V mains)

I saw a god deal on a PSW505 powered sub and picked it up with the intention of using it in a region with 220v/50hz mains. I saw the 250V listed on the back and mistook it for the maximum input voltage, but it's referring to the properly rated fuse value. See this photo: http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchf...7psw505-b.jpeg

I called customer service, and, impressively, I got someone on the line who actually knew a thing or two! He confirmed that the amp has a switching power supply and confirmed for me that the US version won't take 220V. He also said that the schematic is unavailable.

I haven't pulled the amp yet, but maybe somebody here can tell me if the 120V model is easily convertible to take 220V. Maybe I can pull a couple of diodes in the input stage rectifier and make it a half wave rectifier? Maybe its already configurable and I can just change a few jumpers around?

I'm trying to avoid running this thing off a step down transformer as it seems a little silly since its got a switching power supply.

Quote Originally Posted by eeinator View Post
    Maybe its already configurable and I can just change a few jumpers around?
    I'm trying to avoid running this thing off a step down transformer as it seems a little silly since its got a switching power supply.
    I got mislead by a Q&A in Amazon where someone told that this works in a 220v environment. The fuse blew (exploded) instantly when I turned the switch ON. Did you find any solution for this? I am not a big fan of step down transformers.

Unfortunately, a step down transformer will be your only option without major internal modifications.
    "Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    I may have an addiction... RTA-15TL, SDA 2, LSi25, LSi15, LSi9, LSi7, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LS/FX, RT/FX, DSW MP2000...and that's just the Polks...

Thread Information