I ran through DVE this weekend. My brief thoughts:
No problems. Adjusted level until outside black bars faded into background. About 33% on my TV.
No problems. The correct setting for blue yielded a slight red push. Dropped it 2% to correct for the red push and it's a good compromise. About 36% on my TV.
No problems. The center setting on my TV was correct.
Here I had to shut off the "Perfect Piture" setting on my Hitachi in order to get the Sharpness control to work. Once I had the control working, about 65% was correct for my TV.
Once again I had to disable Perfect Picture to adjust contrast. I used the DVE Reference Materials test pattern with the horizontal steps that fade from white to grey to black. I adjusted Contrast until the darker steps at the outside of the pattern were the most clear. Deviating Contrast in either direction blacked out these steps. About 53% was correct for my TV.
6) Audio Tests:
At Master Volume 00, I calibrated to 75 dB in all six channels with no trouble. I used the limited bandwidth test tones and C-Weighted Slow on the meter.
The DVE sub level was WAY too hot. I suspect it is an encoding error that uses the LFE channel instead of the low passed bass from a surround channel (like Avia does).
Encoding the LFE channel at the same level as the surround channels will yield a +10 dB test tone as compared to low passed bass from a surround channel.
For example, if your sub is already running 3-4 dB hot, you will see a 13-14 dB increase over the limited bandwidth surround channel level i.e., 75 dB + 13-14 dB = 88-89 dB. In other words, it will bury the meter on the sub tone.
I am almost 100% certain this is an encoding error involving the LFE channel. I used other methods to calibrate my SVS PB2+.