Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Dish vs DirectTV

Does DISH and DirectTV charge more a month for more boxes in each room? I got 3 other people living here and we have 3 tv rooms, only one tv room needs HD 1080i or 1080P, so I'll need 3 boxes - One HD box and 2 standard boxes. How much would that cost a month between Dish and DirectTV?

I don't need to have the super duper package, basic cable channels is fine, some channels in 720p, 1080i, 1080p would be great.

Channels I'd like to have - ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, Fox News, PBS, CNN, ESPN, ESPN2, NFL Network, AMC, Encore, Comedy Central, Discovery Channel, Travel Channel, National Geographic, Home & Garden, Paladia.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

You do know there is a website for each. I suggest looking there as depending when someone signed up for either, the terms of the contract are likely to be different as well as the introductory promo's which change constantly. They also show what channels you get depending on what package you choose.

With DISH Palladia is an extra $10 a/month bundled with about 6 or 7 other useless channels.

H9
    Last edited by heiney9; 11-20-2011 at 09:40 AM.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Both do charge extra from what I remember. Look carefully at the fine print. We thought we locked into a 2 year price contract with Dish but it was really a 2 year contract that allowed them to change the price any time they want to. I dropped down to the $20/month service after that.

I have HD in one room and analog in the other. To upgrade the other room to HD was extra cost. I'm sure adding other rooms is more.

You don't need 3 boxes. You only need 2 with dish network. One box will run two tvs.

Quote Originally Posted by dpowell View Post
    I dropped down to the $20/month service after that.
    Does this package include the channels I listed above with some HD channels?

Member Sales Rating: (5)

I'm with H9, you need to check their websites and/or flyers in every Sunday paper. I have had both (Dish currently) and depending upon the flavor of the week HD (of ANY channels) is free or $10 depending upon package chosen. Each TV receiving HD needs an HD box of which the first is free and the others are $6-$8 depending. It isn't as simple as the TV ads would have you believe. Each website as a tool / wizard that will walk you through it and price out everything.
    Sony 60'' SXRD 1080p
    Amp = Carver AV-705THX 5-Channel
    Processor = NAD T747
    Panasonic BD35 Blu-Ray
    Main = SDA-1C Studio with RD0s, spikes, XO rebuild, rings, I/C upgrade
    Center=Polk CS10, Surround = Athena Dipoles, Sub= Boston 12HO
    Music/Video Streaming = Netgear NEO550
    TT = Audio Technica

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    You do know there is a website for each. I suggest looking there as depending when someone signed up for either, the terms of the contract are likely to be different as well as the introductory promo's which change constantly. They also show what channels you get depending on what package you choose.

With DISH Palladia is an extra $10 a/month bundled with about 6 or 7 other useless channels.

H9
    What he said.

Another consideration if you have multiple HD TV's, then analog for secondary TV's won't do the trick with Dish. If you're ok with that, then either TV provider will help you with the HD channels when comparing satellite TV providers. I don't know what Dish charges anymore, but DirecTV is $6/mo each additional room. What I like is their whole room DVR setup. Get an HD-DVR for one room, and get HD units for the other. With an internet ROUTER (caps emphasized), you can network units to retrieve recordings from the DVR in any room. The cost for this service is $3 per month, on top of the other services.

As to changing prices during commitments, all of the providers that I know that require commitments, still change the pricing during the commitments. The providers are asking that you keep their services for two years, not that you have to keep the same package.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

DirecTV QUICK TIP...first installation is free, so get all HD boxes.; otherwise you'll pay to upgrade them later (speaking from experience). You can use a HD box on a standard def TV.

Unless something has changed with their policies....

I've had DirecTV for about 2 years, I am VERY pleased.

Transport: Oppo BDP-103/USB HDD (flac)
    DAC/Preamp: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Cables: Kimber Hero/8TC; DH Labs D-75

Thread Information