Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jvc hr-s7000u

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Default Jvc hr-s7000u

Pulled this one out of storage to watch old vacation tapes, ski videos, etc. See white lines going across the display (like the on-screen display is malfunctioning). Looking through the service manual quickly, it looks like an issue with the OSD board, or power supply. So over the next few weeks I'll be rebuilding this vintage 28lb, $1k+ JVC circa 1987.

Here's what I've done to the unit so far:

JVC HR-S7000U Service Log
    November 1987 - Purchased by my Father @ Crazy Eddie
    12/13/1996 - AC (Mains) Fuse Replaced, back then I was already into electronics!
    02/09/2002 - Video Head replaced (Upper Cylinder), $99
    02/30/2006 - Belts, Idler Tire, Pinch Roller replaced.

Right now I am going to go through the power supply and replace the electrolytic caps.

Here are some pics to show what A/V gear was like back in the 1980s. Excellent build quality.

This thing is HEAVY! Drop this on someone and it will really hurt, haha.

Update: I am going through the power supply and I am amazed at the build quality.

According to this article this was one of the first production S-VHS machines to be made:
    http://www.nytimes.com/1987/11/01/ar...he-market.html

"This column's initial report last July on Super-VHS (or S-VHS, for short) was based on favorable but subjective impressions gained at a showing last summer staged by JVC and Panasonic, and data obtained from a laboratory prototype. Since then, an independent organization, Diversified Science Laboratories, has tested one of the first production model VCR's of this type to become available - the JVC Model HR-S7000U, priced at $1,200 - and the results have been reported in High Fidelity Magazine." (The New York Times, 1987)

Wow!

I used one to archive my radio shows at the college stations I dj'd at. Amazing sound quality with a nice long taping time. Cracked the kids up a couple years ago by breaking out the VCR and playing the old shows.

Quote Originally Posted by GMiller View Post
    I used one to archive my radio shows at the college stations I dj'd at. Amazing sound quality with a nice long taping time. Cracked the kids up a couple years ago by breaking out the VCR and playing the old shows.
    This thing has excellent sound quality for a VCR. I still remember the first time I heard Jurassic Park in surround (Dolby Pro Logic) on this VCR. I thought I was in the middle of the action!

Right now I'm working on the unit, LOVE the modular construction.

The boards can be moved around for troubleshooting while powered up!

Finished!

Man this JVC is a work of art and is an excellent deck.

Thread Information