Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Default Finally did the RDO upgrade on my SDA 2's

When I first got the SDAs, I figured my first and only upgrade would be the RDO tweeters. At the time, I was running both tweeters, which meant $200 to complete the upgrade. So, I waited. Then, I disconnected the SDA tweeters and was just running the stereo ones... Which brings the upgrade cost to $100. But, that was still cost prohibitive in my mind, so I waited.

Then, I got hooked up by a friend of Carl's... and got a pair of the RDO's for $60 shipped :)

And now, I'm in non-SL2000 bliss....

As for them being the only upgrade... far from it. The crossovers were already modded when I bought them, but I have a set of rings to install, tweeter gaskets on the way, and will hopefully be able to get gaskets for the mids and PR. There's also a set of spikes to go on them, but I'm not sure how best to accomplish that, since they're not set up from the factory for spikes. I also need to brace the rear baffle on both, as I have one that's rattling already. A piece of quarter-round and some wood glue should fix that.
    Ludicrous gibs!

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Where did you get the RD0's for $60 shipped? That would be a sweet deal.

When you say gaskets for the mids and PR, are you going to use mortite or something similar in addition to the rings? Reason I ask is that I have a set of ToolFans's rings for my Polk 7's that I've yet to install and don't remember if most do both or just use the rings and call it a day.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by saemark30 View Post
    Where did you get the RD0's for $60 shipped? That would be a sweet deal.
    They were used, but not very much :)

Quote Originally Posted by TNHNDYMAN View Post
    When you say gaskets for the mids and PR, are you going to use mortite or something similar in addition to the rings? Reason I ask is that I have a set of ToolFans's rings for my Polk 7's that I've yet to install and don't remember if most do both or just use the rings and call it a day.
    I was hoping to get gaskets from brgman for the mids and PR. He already did a run of the mid gaskets, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a 2nd run. These are gaskets cut from a regular foam rubber gasket material. And yes, i would do both the rings and new gaskets.
    Ludicrous gibs!

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Be prepared to apply Dynamat to the speaker baskets. I use Mortite and Dynamat on my speakers which made a trememdous difference, and then later applied Larrys Rings on my set of speakers. I have done numerous projects which has bought forth substantial improvements to the speaker sonics. When navigating through this forum, you will be amazed at the wealth of knowledge this forum has to offer on speaker improvements. It is a worthwhile investment for anyone who os satisfied with holding on to their speakers for long periods of time.

I am working on another project which requires me to remove all the drivers and tweeters from my speakers. I trying to attempt 4 projects in one shot, so it is taking some time to complete. I am on one speaker for nearly 2 weeks now. Hopefully when that speaker is complete, the other speaker will be worked on more quickly.
    Statistics show that 98% of us will die at some point in our lifetime.

The other 2% will work for WalMart.

I am working on another project which requires me to remove all the drivers and tweeters from my speakers. I trying to attempt 4 projects in one shot, so it is taking some time to complete. I am on one speaker for nearly 2 weeks now. Hopefully when that speaker is complete, the other speaker will be worked on more quickly.

The second speaker to be modded usually goes 50% faster than the first, since on the first one you're honing your technique, working out how stuff should go together, etc.

What mods you doing?
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Quote Originally Posted by nadams View Post

Could you say a little more about this, Noah? I've been putting off the inevitable myself. Will probably upgrade to RDs- in the near future!

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Quote Originally Posted by nadams View Post
    I'm also interested in what kind of a difference these make. Let me know when they're all finished so I can check them out.

Thread Information