Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default what's in a watt

Hi guys, This question seems to be to hot topic of the month here w/loads of people gifting and getting their presents and all are asking what avr should they go for. For me I was kinda of disappointed w/ the output of my Yamaha RX-V665 which I clipped on more than a few occassions.Finallly after all advice on here and that the 90wtts per really isn't, I did go fiirst w/ preouts w/ an Adcom then to a totally seperate 2 chl system. But here's what I do not for life of me understand,you put a McIntosh 2100 rated at 105wtts and sure enough that's what you get or better.So is there really a different rating system that the Japanese use to boost their numbers,or as some have said that these are #s w/o any load on them whatsoever....
    2chl- Adcom 555- NAD 1020a pre- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Samson - 9 outlet- Niles - 6 zone spkr selector- DCM TF 350s- ADC 303ax- KLH 331- Polk Audio '87 SDA 2Bs w/ ic cable (Dynamat extreme, black hole-5- Mills 0.5 resistor, liquid nails, RDO- 194 tweeters, Larry's rings, Armaflex gaskets, stained walnut tops )

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #500HD Speaker set- Sony ce 375 5 disc carosel cdp-

Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL J2060

Member Sales Rating: (27)

Current is far more important than wattage. Wattage can be skewed by the amount of distortion you put into it or is it a full 20-20 signal being used or just 1khz? Is it one channel or all channels? Lots of ways to skew the numbers.

Current though is pretty safe bet if you have 100 watts with 5 amps of current you are probably not going anywhere, but if you have 100 watts with 60 amps of current or so on you have alot of reserve and can probably go a bit further (generically speaking)

http://sound.westhost.com/amp-basics.htm
    www.Vr3Mods.com ///// www.Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Wattage doesn't really mean anything and you should never use that as a sole determining factor. I'll sound like a broken record to some but I'll say it again. I have 30wpc and it's more "powerful" than any amp I've owned or auditioned. I have yet to find the upper limits of the amp and I have had it pretty loud with some difficult loads.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Member Sales Rating: (27)

H9 you obviously must be mistaken...

I thought you needed 200 watts to just get a speaker cone moving.. :-P
    www.Vr3Mods.com ///// www.Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro

Member Sales Rating: (1)

The problem with Manufacturers ratings is there is no criteria other than what they want to use.

They don't have to drive a certain type of load to get an accurate reading. They can drive there amps to clip for one millisecond and get 150 watts but when they drive the same load as everyone else the truth comes out.

You also have to remember that a receiver is running more speakers than a 2ch amplifier. So the power is usually spread across multiple speakers at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Smith View Post
    WOW!

That's like working your way through Katie Perry in order to get to Rosie O'Donnell.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    Wattage doesn't really mean anything and you should never use that as a sole determining factor. I'll sound like a broken record to some but I'll say it again. I have 30wpc and it's more "powerful" than any amp I've owned or auditioned. I have yet to find the upper limits of the amp and I have had it pretty loud with some difficult loads.

H9
    Long story short - I'm with him.
    all the best,
    mrh

Thread Information