Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Cool Resealed PR's 2.3TL's

Hi All; I resealed my PR's with new gaskets, it helped out the bass with more punch. The crossovers have been also rebuilt. The speakers still sound like the sound is coming out of a megaphone. It is clear with a great sound stage but lacks in clarity, crispness in the mid area almost lifeless. Would new tweeters help out or could it be the room they are located? Any help, thanks.

Member Sales Rating: (58)

New tweeters won't change your experience. There's a larger problem and of course it could be the room. Describe the room....basic information is needed to help you.

Do you have the interconnect? You should check the wiring of everything again, as that's not normal. There's a plethora of knowledge here and others will chime in with absolute guidance.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Something definitely isn't clicking in your system; what are you using for amplification ?

The "great sound stage but lacks in clarity, crispness" would seem to rule out the room.

Tell us the specifics of your room/system and who/how rebuilt your crossovers (using what components) and one of the gurus on here will figure it out.
    MrBigBlueLight
    Usually right, but sometimes not entirely factually correct.
    Shifting to Plan B

My room is about 12' wide and about 24' long. I would take the speaks to a different room to try but they are upstairs and quite heavy to move. My setup is an Adcom GFA-555 amp, Adcom GTP-500 pre and a Denon DCD-1015 cd player. The xovers were rebuilt with Dayton 1% caps and Mills resistors. I have included a picture to maybe help out. Thanks for the help so far!
    Name:  100_0526.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  296.7 KB

Jim - Throw a blanket up in between the loudspeakers and listen again. Let me know what changes, especially if the megphonics go away. Another idea you can try to isolate what you're hearing is have a blanket on the left wall and in the middle, see what changes. If it really doesn't alter the sound dramatically, you have a speaker problem. I'm betting you have a xover issue.
    Last edited by dorokusai; 11-22-2011 at 02:12 AM.

Mine sounded really bad when I first got them. I found drivers wired wrong in both speakers and when fixed they sounded great. Who rebuilt the crossover have you looked over the work to make sure it was done 100% correctly? Just a few ideas.
    Absolute corruption empowers absolutely.

Lg 55LW5600 TV
    Onkyo PR-SC 5508
    Legacy Audio Focus SE
    Legacy Audio Silverscreen HD center
    Polk F/X500i Rears
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Sunfire Grand Cinema
    Behringer iNUKE NU6000DSP
    Pair of CraigSUB SS-18.1

Member Sales Rating: (13)

For starters, the speakers need to go on the long wall and whatever that is on the left wall needs to go. You also need some things in there to soften the room.
    Last edited by F1nut; 11-22-2011 at 02:27 AM.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

He also needs to get them a bit off the wall. They look like they are almost flat against it. The long wall would be my first move and then get them about 8" off the wall.

Do you have the interconnect cable?
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Smith View Post
    WOW!

That's like working your way through Katie Perry in order to get to Rosie O'Donnell.

Throw a blanket up in between the loudspeakers and listen again.
    Did that. I put a blanket on the back wall and left side. It helped quite a bit. I am now wondering if the "megaphone affect" is actually a bit of an echo in the room.

drivers wired wrong in both speakers
    Speakers are wired correctly. There is an IC hooked up and working.

the speakers need to go on the long wall
    I would do that but there is no room. The other end of the room is my home theater.

He also needs to get them a bit off the wall.
    The speakers are now about 6" off the back wall. This seems to be optimal for bass response.

I swapped out the Denon cd player with an Onkyo which I had in the closet. The Onkyo has a brighter presentation than the Denon. That replacement along with the added blankets improved the sound a bunch.

whatever that is on the left wall needs to go
    Sorry, that's my ping pong table. It is gonna stay!

Thanks for all help. That is what makes this forum so great!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jim 249 View Post
    Did that. I put a blanket on the back wall and left side. It helped quite a bit. I am now wondering if the "megaphone affect" is actually a bit of an echo in the room.

Speakers are wired correctly. There is an IC hooked up and working.

I would do that but there is no room. The other end of the room is my home theater.

The speakers are now about 6" off the back wall. This seems to be optimal for bass response.

I swapped out the Denon cd player with an Onkyo which I had in the closet. The Onkyo has a brighter presentation than the Denon. That replacement along with the added blankets improved the sound a bunch.

Sorry, that's my ping pong table. It is gonna stay!

Thanks for all help. That is what makes this forum so great!

Jim
    I would say OPEN THEM UP. It's very easy to get polarity wrong with these speakers.

I think the fact that your roof is basically shaped like a megaphone is your problem. All reflections off the sloped ceiling are thrown directly at your listening position. It's got to play hell with the SDA effect.

I think the fact that your roof is basically shaped like a megaphone is your problem
    Thanks for your comment. I was starting to think along those same lines.

That's why I said you need the speakers on the long wall. I've heard gear in rooms like yours and the short wall simply does not work.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Unless I saw the picture wrong, that long wall makes it a bit too nearfield don't you think F1Nut? Am I seeing it wrong?

EDIT: Well, not as close as I pictured but its close. DO we know the dimensionals of that setup? They can snug against the wall.

He says 12' wide x 24' long. If he spaces them 6' apart and sits 6 to 9 feet back he should be good. We had Ted's 1C's against the long wall in a similar room. Sounded damn good too, but Ted had more soft stuff in the room to help dampen things.

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    He says 12' wide x 24' long. If he spaces them 6' apart and sits 6 to 9 feet back he should be good. We had Ted's 1C's against the long wall in a similar room. Sounded damn good too, but Ted had more soft stuff in the room to help dampen things.
    Roger that, sounds good. Russman had a similar room and even tho' it wasn't perfect, it was amazing.

I was just wondering and will keep reading.

Thread Information