Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default A day with the family

We hosted our first extended family holiday today and it was great. I've taught my 16 month old son not to touch my speakers or any other gear in there and he doesn't even try anymore. I go in there today and my 8 year old and 12 year old cousins are having fun poking the mirror image in my LS70 tweeters. AUGH! After I yell at them, I put on a movie for them and while sitting next to my rack, the 8 year old comes over and sits on top of my subwoofer. Not the box, the actual driver (it sits face up right now in a home-made box). Among countless bugs being brought into the house and a few spilled drinks, everything thankfully seems to be OK. My house is still standing, there appears to be no damage to my system, and all my son's toys are still intact.

I have to ask a question though: Is it wrong for me to be pissed that my cousin put her son down in MY son's crib to take a nap about 15 minutes before our son was going to be laid down, without ever asking? If they would've asked, we would have set up a port-a-crib for them immediately. Instead, our son ended up falling asleep on our bed while her son slept peacefully in our crib, on top of everything our son always sleeps with.

Member Sales Rating: (37)

Hopefully, you weren't actually the one upset with the crib issue, but it was your wife that was upset and she brought it to your attention. Correct?

Your skin thickness will have to increase by several levels for you to host again and again.
    Last edited by inspiredsports; 11-27-2011 at 07:57 PM.
    VTL ST50 w/mods/RCA6L6GC/TlfnknECC801S
    CJPV-5 w/mods
    TT CJ Sonographe SG3 Oak/Sumiko LMT/Grado Wood Plat/Sumiko PIB2/The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020/Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9/Vibrapods/MIT Shtgn AC1 IEC's/MIT Shotgun 2 IC's/MIT Shtgn 2 Speaker
    PSAudio Cryo PwrPrt Prem/ExctPwrEP15A
    Wlnt SDA 2B TL/Oak SDA SRS II TL-Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Cust SDA ICs/Mortite/Dynamat Extreme/TFLF Rings/FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels

In a visiting family situation, You have to learn to roll with the punches, go with the flow. Babies can sleep just about anywhere and this is one of those times where you have to adjust or have a get together at someone home who will not get "pissed" if you make an innocent mistake.

As far as the 8 and 12 year old kids, they are old enough to understand that my stereo equipment is "off limits", if they do not want to understand after I have my "little talk" with them, then they can stay out of the entertainment room until they get the message. Too many people "baby" their rugrats and let them do as they please but when they come to my house, they play by my rules because I make the rules. If the parents don't like my tude, they can go too. I worked to hard for what I have to let their kids come in a run wild.

Member Sales Rating: (8)

At a comfortable distance.... gaining perspective

Bad manners to poach the crib IMO. Did ya see the latest episode of "The Middle" ? It's kinda pertinent to your peccadillo. I use the tried and true "count to ten" method....sometimes it works.

http://abc.go.com/shows/the-middle

Good to see you get your social manners from The Middle.

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    We hosted our first extended family holiday today and it was great. I've taught my 16 month old son not to touch my speakers or any other gear in there and he doesn't even try anymore. I go in there today and my 8 year old and 12 year old cousins are having fun poking the mirror image in my LS70 tweeters. AUGH! After I yell at them, I put on a movie for them and while sitting next to my rack, the 8 year old comes over and sits on top of my subwoofer. Not the box, the actual driver (it sits face up right now in a home-made box). Among countless bugs being brought into the house and a few spilled drinks, everything thankfully seems to be OK. My house is still standing, there appears to be no damage to my system, and all my son's toys are still intact.

I have to ask a question though: Is it wrong for me to be pissed that my cousin put her son down in MY son's crib to take a nap about 15 minutes before our son was going to be laid down, without ever asking? If they would've asked, we would have set up a port-a-crib for them immediately. Instead, our son ended up falling asleep on our bed while her son slept peacefully in our crib, on top of everything our son always sleeps with.
    Your story speaks volume on the manners of your guesses and the way they raise their siblings! As pointed out, your home, your rules however, you have to make sure your rules are known as there are many households that do not know what rules are, are about, and are for.
    DARE TO SOAR:
    “Your attitude, almost always determine your altitude in life” ;)

Member Sales Rating: (8)

At a comfortable distance.... gaining perspective

Quote Originally Posted by rebuy View Post
    good to see you get your social manners from the middle.
    wtf?

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Quote Originally Posted by rebuy View Post
    Good to see you get your social manners from The Middle.
    WTF Indeed
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (17)

Personally, I would be pissed about the baby's crib. Too many ear infections, colds, etc go around to be borrowing some other child's bedding. Common sense should tell anyone that.

As far as the crumb munchers messing with your electronics, I would not hesitate to reprimand them. If someone who comes to my home doesn't repect my property and how it should be treated, they don't need to come into my home. Simple as that. That's why I have been able to keep my stuff in pristine condition.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Having guests is certainly challenging at times--no doubt, especially given the absence of manners and common sense in recent years. I don't know that the crib thing would have bothered me, but I certainly would have got some kids straight on the electronics right up front. My grand children were taught from the time they understood the word "no" that certain things were off-limits; my electronics being one of them, our master bedroom being the other (firearms). Though we may have to remind them every now and then, there's never been an incident--mostly because they know grandpa will bust that butt.

Years ago we had a young couple over as part of a larger party, that had a small one---oh like 2 1/2yr old I guess. Just as soon as they set junior down, he ran straight to my speaker and poked the tweeter in (gasp). I went over and grabbed junior and promptly returned him to his mother---who was obviously not going to stop the assualt on my speaker. I asked her if she knew how those speakers cost...she got the point. I have no problem embarrassing ignorant parents.

Source: Squeezebox Touch/CIA Power Supply
    DAC: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Linestage: Placette RVC Passive
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12-NSD

While overseas in the Army, my wife and I had young friends (we were young too), who had a 3yr old girl whom they would let get away with bloody murder. She had knocked over ****, bit one of my kids and was generally a pain in the ass. I never yelled at the kid, but asked the dad why he let's her act that way. He said stuff like, well she's only three and I dunno, **** like that.

One evening they were over and the kid was up to her usual stuff. She ran over and picked up a Coke can sitting on the coffee table. Before I could say anything, she was gulping down cold sugary goodness....or so she thought. That can, was half full of tobacco spit.

I started laughing uncontrollably, and when the mom started freaking out, my wife said, that's what she gets!

Didn't see them too much after that.
    "My wife likes my rig......HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!"

B&W CDM 1NT; B&W CDM CNT; Infinity us 1; Velodyne DEQ-8 x2; Pio Elite VSX-23; Sony SCD-CE595 SACD, Denon DP11-F TT[/COLOR]

Member Sales Rating: (17)

North Victoria Gardens, Altacucawanda, California

Quote Originally Posted by deronb1 View Post
    While overseas in the Army, my wife and I had young friends (we were young too), who had a 3yr old girl whom they would let get away with bloody murder. She had knocked over ****, bit one of my kids and was generally a pain in the ass. I never yelled at the kid, but asked the dad why he let's her act that way. He said stuff like, well she's only three and I dunno, **** like that.

One evening they were over and the kid was up to her usual stuff. She ran over and picked up a Coke can sitting on the coffee table. Before I could say anything, she was gulping down cold sugary goodness....or so she thought. That can, was half full of tobacco spit.

I started laughing uncontrollably, and when the mom started freaking out, my wife said, that's what she gets!

Didn't see them too much after that.
    LOL. Good for you!
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.

deron, I feel sympathy for the kid on that one. My dad dipped for years and I mistook his "drink" for one of mine once when I was about 10 or 11. Makes me sick just remembering that.

I keep thinking about the crib thing and have discussed it because it bothered us so much. My wife told me about it, but she isn't the only one upset. The fact that you would take my own son's crib away from him without asking permission is what gets me. When we go over to someone elses house, regardless of who it is, we bring our own toys and a port-a-crib. Even if they stay in the car the whole time, we have them just in case. If someone went into our room and crashed on our bed, so be it, that doesn't bother me. With my son, its a different story. The more I think about it, the more it irritated me. I could see them getting ready to leave, one asking the other if they should bring their own port-a-crib. The other one replies, no, they have a crib we can use. The assumption and lack of courtesy is what really gets me.

This is also the same cousin who takes advantage of the system, doesn't work (nor does the husband right now), is having another kid though they can't afford it (yes, it was planned), and her husband got in a pissing match with my wife about who's house was better. Really?

The rest of the party was a blast and everyone enjoyed themselves. We have thick skin but nothing goes unnoticed, hence the question. Dave, your response is one of the many thoughts that went through our head and why I feel OK about where I stand on the matter. The electronics things weren't an issue after I made it clear to both of them what could and could not be touched in that room.

Sounds like you have more issues with the parents than anything else. Them putting their kid in the crib was just the icing on the cake. It wouldn't bother me if I liked or got along with the parents, but if I didn't then it would make me mad.

Beding is beding, it can be washed. Besides your imune system doesnt get strong by being on stand by.
    AVR: Onkyo Tx-NR808
    Amplifier: Carver A-753x 250 watts x 3
    Fronts: Polk RTI A7 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Center: CSI A4 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Rear: FXI A4
    Sub: Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    TV: LG Infinia 50PX950 3D
    Speaker Cable: AudioQuest Type 8
    IC: AudioQuest Black Mamba II

Thread Information