Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Default Another Beatles remaster shout-out

What can I say? Excellent. For once the product lives up to the hype.

I picked up "Hard days night" "Help!" and "Abbey Road" so far, I"ll be buying the rest---and I used to think I wasn't much of a Beatles fan. That has changed; even more significant, it restores my faith in the Redbook format that recordings can sound very, very good. The music has drive, punch, bass---and gone is the shrill, tin-pan, flat sound.

They did a stellar job on these remasters. My "Beatles 1" disc is going in the trash.
    Last edited by steveinaz; 11-22-2009 at 03:13 PM.

Transport: Oppo BDP-103/USB HDD (flac)
    DAC/Preamp: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Cables: Kimber Hero/8TC; DH Labs D-75

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Agreed. I brought a bunch of the remasters to the RAS meet we had yesterday...everyone was diggin them.

Daboyz and dkg99 don't even like the Beatles, but now they're both admitting that maybe they weren't such a bad band.;)
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Denon DVD-2910 universal player
    DPA The Little Bit Three DAC
    Yamaha P-300 turntable/TCC TC-750 phono preamp
    Acurus L10 preamp
    Adcom GFA-545 power amp
    PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Type 4 speaker cables
    Audioquest Sidewinder IC's
    Audioquest Black Mamba IC's
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's

Member Sales Rating: (2)

my family (i.e., my dear wife and my grown-up children) was nice enough to get me the mono box set for a birthday present. Yes, it is pretty good.
    all the best,
    mrh

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by mhardy6647 View Post
    my family (i.e., my dear wife and my grown-up children) was nice enough to get me the mono box set for a birthday present. Yes, it is pretty good.
    Nice gift!

Main HT/2 ch:
    Pioneer SC-07, BDP-05FD, Emotiva XPA-5 x 2, XPA-1 x 2,
    Polk Audio LSi25, RTi12 x 2, LSi15 x 4, LSiC x 2, PSW1000 x 4,

MB HT/ 2 ch:
    LG 47LM5800, Pioneer SC-1523, BDP-23FD, Sony BDP-S790, Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-5,
    Polk Audio LSi25,15, CSi5, LSiFX, PSW505 x 4

Listening Room 2 ch:
    McIntosh MC122, MC162, MC202, C15, C41, C42, MA6500, MA6900, MCD201, MCD301, MR85, MX130, MX134
    Emotiva RSP-2, RPA-1, ERC-2
    Adcom GCD 750, GFP 750, GFA 5802
    Polk Audio LSi7,9, 15

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by chumlie View Post
    I have them on CD's, mastered directly from the LP's. They sound phenominal. In some ways better than the recently remastered CD's that came out.
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Member Sales Rating: (12)

I have the MFSL set, and would say that if you are a Beatles fan, this is still the finest way to listen to their works. Also highly recommended is the naked version of Let it Be. I cannot really enjoy the Specterized version of that LP any more as it sounds completly jacked up compared to the nude version of it.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Way out of my price range. Didn't even know they existed till i stumbled on them. Just thought i would post them incase any other fans never seen them. Will give that naked version a try though.

Quote Originally Posted by nooshinjohn View Post
    Also highly recommended is the naked version of Let it Be. I cannot really enjoy the Specterized version of that LP any more as it sounds completly jacked up compared to the nude version of it.
    +1. I prefer that version but can listen to either one. Generally if it is by the Beatles I am not too picky. Coincidentally, while we are on the subject, has anyone else picked up the Re-mastered McCartney album Ram ?? I got this yesterday and was listening to it briefly it sounded like the re-master was decent. Thoughts ??

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Overrated !! Milli Vanilli was better..
    No Way But The Hard Way, So Get Used To It!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Toolfan66 View Post
    I haven't heard their Karaoke version of Let it Be, need to check that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Toolfan66 View Post
    Troll!
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Quote Originally Posted by nap View Post
    I haven't heard their Karaoke version of Let it Be, need to check that out.
    Quote Originally Posted by drumminman View Post
    Troll!

No Way But The Hard Way, So Get Used To It!!!

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Quote Originally Posted by chumlie View Post
    Way out of my price range. Didn't even know they existed till i stumbled on them. Just thought i would post them incase any other fans never seen them. Will give that naked version a try though.
    They typically sell for about 7-800 bucks for the set in very good condition. Comes out to aboust 65 bucks per LP. I have several Beatles MFSL's that were not a part of this set, and they can go for considerably more. I paid 175.00 for Sgt Pepper and 100 for Help. The set is the most economical way to get them all. They are 4 times more expensive than the cd remaster sets, but vinyl sounds 100 times better than cd's do. Well worth the investment. If they ever do a remaster vinyl release, I am eager to hear how they sound when paired against the MFSL's.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Quote Originally Posted by nooshinjohn View Post
    They typically sell for about 7-800 bucks for the set in very good condition. Comes out to aboust 65 bucks per LP. I have several Beatles MFSL's that were not a part of this set, and they can go for considerably more. I paid 175.00 for Sgt Pepper and 100 for Help. The set is the most economical way to get them all. They are 4 times more expensive than the cd remaster sets, but vinyl sounds 100 times better than cd's do. Well worth the investment. If they ever do a remaster vinyl release, I am eager to hear how they sound when paired against the MFSL's.
    While I would agree with you that the vinyl does sound better in many ways to CD, I would say that the main reason the MFSL vinyl sounds so good (in some ways better than the recently remastered CD's) is because of the mastering job MFSL did. When you put the fact that the masterings are so well done with the tones you get from the vinyl, you get something that sounds spectacular!

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/...uction-details
    I thought it was an interesting read.

The Remixed/remastered CD's and LP's should be avoided at all costs (IMO of course). The remixes (despite being done by Martin himself) are terible. The fidelity is better, but the tonality is terrible! Avoid at all costs (these are: Help and Rubber Soul). The article at analogplanet.com chumlie posted reinforces my view on the subject. I don't own Help and Rubber Soul of the new remasters. I never will. I do own the "Capitol Versions" however as the mixes (tonality)are correct. And by correct I mean better (IMO of course).

This is good stuff, more cd's to buy.

Anyone get the vinyl yet ?

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Ordered one last night to check out.Hope to have it by the weekend.

Go check out the reviews at Steve Hoffman forums. So far not so good. Glad I cancelled my order.

Interesting interview ''Abbey Road Studio's Sean Magee Talks About Mastering The Beatles LP Box'' at www.analogplanet.com

Thread Information