Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Need help BAD, first system

hey all,

I am putting together my first audio system ever for my room and it is fun but also very confusing. (Itll be 2.1)

I bought polk audio monitor 30 series II bookshelf speakers for my room and also a Polk Audio PSW10 subwoofer. I have a Denon AVR-2800 receiver.

I am hooking my sub and speakers by "speaker level" connection.
    My front LEFT/RIGHT go into the sub's speaker OUT, and the sub's speaker IN is connected to my receiver's speaker OUT.
    The reason why I did this is because of the stupidest reason ever. I bought this receiver used and it doesnt' have a remote. There's no replacement remotes unless I want to spend $100 which is very expensive and I could just get another receiver, and I tried a universal remote from Logitech Harmony and it doesn't work. Basically, I NEED the original remote for 1 freaking button, "System SETUP". This will allow me to turn subwoofer to "Yes" and change my speaker size to "Small" so I can use the receiver's subwoofer out/LFE out port. But since I don't have a remote, it's stuck on "Large speakers" and subwoofer "NO". So I need to connect everything with what they call "speaker level" connection.

It's just for my room and my room is not that big. My question is, can I bi-wire my Polk Monitor 30 speakers to my sub's speaker OUT connections like I would to my receiver (if I didn't have a sub to connect)? Or should I just stick with a traditional connection?

Since I can't get into LFE mode, I may be willing to spend at MAX $100 to bypass this ridiculous issue by getting another amp, or some pre/pro amp and use the receiver with "external IN" mode. Anyone have any suggestions?

Any help appreciated...

Member Sales Rating: (37)

That stinks. I'm surprised the Harmony didn't work.

I don't think you can bi-wire, but I'd stick with the traditional connection regardless.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Did you try looking up remote codes for the harmony that are for that receiver? Welcome to club polk. If I had a faster intrnet connection I'd look it up for you...sorry I don't
    Speakers:SDA2a, sub:Atlantic Technologies 172 PBM
    Pre:B&K PRO-10MC(2ch)
    Amps:Parasound HCA 1000a
    SourcesOppo DV-970HD, Xbox360, Kenwood KT-5300
    Cables:Philips/RCA/Monster

Life's short, Listen to SDA's
    Life is short live Sui Juris
    Where did SOPA go?

Quote Originally Posted by dudeinaroom View Post
    Did you try looking up remote codes for the harmony that are for that receiver? Welcome to club polk. If I had a faster intrnet connection I'd look it up for you...sorry I don't
    Yeah, i kind fixed some of the problem. Well most. The harmony has the Denon AVR-2800 in the database so basic things like volume, power, input, etc. that kind of stuff works. However, it doesn't have System setup which is the 1 freaking button I need. lol
    I'm not sure if there are certain "codes" that you can program into the Harmony but if so, that could be hopeful.

But to address the subwoofer connection, I just went with a speaker level connection. I figured this receiver is not going to let me change the settings to allow for the subOUT to work so I hooked it up by connecting speaker wires from the receiverOUT to the speakerIN (on the sub) and connecting both Polk monitor 30s to the speakerOUT on the sub.
    When I did this, the sound was really bad. It was not fully there very muffled and bassy. Completely different than when I had them connected bi-wire to my receiver without the sub. I tried changing the connection on the Monitor 30 speakers to the bottom ones (there top L/R and then there's bottom L/R) and I realized what it was. I read somewhere that the top connections are for the tweeters and highs and the bottom is for the bass. It seems like a traditional single connection for these speakers don't work well. I mean, if that sound passes as good then there's a problem. But I took a gamble and did the same bi-wire connection I had done between the receiver/speakers onto the new connections between the speakers and the speaker-subOUT. and what do you know? Freaking amazing sound. With bass. :) Me happy.

Wish I had the ability to mess with the bass and treble and whatnot through the receiver but oh well.

The other issue is that the volume is pretty loud. Even at -60db which is the lowest my receiver goes to, it's nothing that's whisper quiet. Can't play games at that level at night. Probably because the double amplification?

Member Sales Rating: (11)

look on Ebay for a original remote.. i bet you find one there..

I like your user ID name.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert

haha $100!
    damnnnnn
    lol thanks

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I've found some "replacement" remotes that at least have the button you are looking for. Think it was $50-60? Let me know if you were interested.

Also, not sure if you said you still had the harmony or not, but check out www.remotecentral.com - this is the Club Polk of remotes. lol
    50" Panasonic Vierra TC-P50VT20 (w/5 pairs glasses)
    Pioneer Elite SC-37
    Polk Monitor 70's (2)
    Polk Monitor 40's (4)
    Polk Monitor CS2
    Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    Oppo BDP-93
    Squeezebox Duet
    Belkin PureAV PF60
    Dish Network "The Hoppa"

Got it to work! Complete!!!

thanks for the help.

good deal

Where did SOPA go?

all my Denon remotes have worked on all my recent (manufactured within the last ten years) receivers and even one I repaired for a customer a few weeks back. When you get a few dollars go buy a new denon, use its remote and fix your setup, even better use the remote to program the menu function on a new universal,and return the unit. lastly in my living room I have a cheaper AR universal remote from bestbuy and it performs every function on my Denon, not the highest quality remote and eats batteries every 10 days, but it is an option.
    Last edited by detroitHOOLIGAN; 12-03-2011 at 02:16 AM.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by detroitHOOLIGAN View Post
    When you get a few dollars go buy a new denon, use its remote and .... return the unit.
    No wonder why we can't return anything without a restocking fee, or buy an open box without missing all kinds of accessories.
    50" Panasonic Vierra TC-P50VT20 (w/5 pairs glasses)
    Pioneer Elite SC-37
    Polk Monitor 70's (2)
    Polk Monitor 40's (4)
    Polk Monitor CS2
    Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    Oppo BDP-93
    Squeezebox Duet
    Belkin PureAV PF60
    Dish Network "The Hoppa"

Screen name says it all. I know I used to live down there and you could not pay me to move back.

Where did SOPA go?

Thread Information