Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Is Beats Audio really this shady?

http://www.youtube.com/embed/3F4f6XqgQlg

Are beats audio practices really this shady?
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD

Member Sales Rating: (20)

I can't see youtube here at work, but is that the company owned by Monster?
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (1)

"Beats By Dr. Dre is a brand of headphones and loudspeakers marketed by hip-hop/rap musician Dr. Dre and Interscope-Geffen-A&M Records chairman Jimmy Iovine under Beats Electronics LLC.[1] There are six versions of the headphones and six versions of the earphones, which are manufactured and distributed under exclusive license by Monster Cable Products. As part of marketing strategy, the headphones often appear in music videos, movies, advertisements and other media."

Interesting. I'd take that video somewhat with a grain of salt, although I don't have anything to replicate the results. For those of you not interested / can't see the video, here is the condensed version. Standard bass/treble is at 0/0. Turn Beats on, and it bumps bass and treble all the way up. Turn Beats back off, and it move bass all the way down to -14, and ups the treble to +4.

I'd almost consider that a driver issue that it does not return to 0, but that could very well be a marketing thing now that I see it's all Monster stuff. With that said though, I have a touchpad with the Beats Audio and I must say that I'm pretty impressed. It's almost like the Bose of computer speakers? Haven't heard anything about the headphones besides the sales pitch in the store.
    50" Panasonic Vierra TC-P50VT20 (w/5 pairs glasses)
    Pioneer Elite SC-37
    Polk Monitor 70's (2)
    Polk Monitor 40's (4)
    Polk Monitor CS2
    Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    Oppo BDP-93
    Squeezebox Duet
    Belkin PureAV PF60
    Dish Network "The Hoppa"

Member Sales Rating: (20)

I thought there was a tie in with Monster, which means any kind of crap or shady practice wouldn't surprise me at all.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Beats is a combination of three things: Average hardware, DSP, and branding. No more, no less. Can you take an average set of headphones, apply some DSP to your source material and end up with essentially the same thing? Absolutely--minus the "Beats by Dr. Dre" branding.

And yes, it should come as no surprise that Monster is involved, but they are far from the worst offender when it comes to charging unjustifiably high prices for audio gear.

RT-12, CS350-LS, PSW-300, Infinity Overture 1, Monoprice RC-65i
    Adcom GFA-545II, GFA-6000, Outlaw Audio 990, Netgear NeoTV
    Denon DCM-460, DMD-1000, Sony BDP-360, Bravia KDL-40Z4100/S
    Monster AVL-300, HTS-2500 MKII

Monster = Bose.

I tell you what, the tie-in of Marketing Dr. Dre with headphones was sheer genius. I watch a LOT of college basketball, and if I had to guess, I would say that 80% of all Division 1 basketball players on scholarship who wear headphones, wear Dr. Dre Beats headphones. It might be more than 80% actually.

I tried the $400 pair. They sounded about like the $60 Skullcandy headphones right next to them. Klipsch, Audio-Technica (the brand I settled with), AKG, and many others are simply better products.

Edit: Similarly, I've never seen an audio-professional use Beats headphones.
    Do you hear that buzzing noise?

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Not to be a music bigot but given the "quality" of the overly compressed <128 kbit MP3 crap they are probably listening to, wouldn't a Progresso soup can and a string get the job done just as well.
    Sony 60'' SXRD 1080p
    Amp = Carver AV-705THX 5-Channel
    Processor = NAD T747
    Panasonic BD35 Blu-Ray
    Main = SDA-1C Studio with RD0s, spikes, XO rebuild, rings, I/C upgrade
    Center=Polk CS10, Surround = Athena Dipoles, Sub= Boston 12HO
    Music/Video Streaming = Netgear NEO550
    TT = Audio Technica

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Those headphones are the most "grossly" over priced cans I've ever seen. They perform worse than a standard set of 80 dollar Sony DJ phones at more than 3 times the price. Forget about it....!

I'm not surprised all the software does is boost BASS and Treble and then take away all the BASS....afterall, their claim to fame is "muddy, bloated" Bass and almost no highs.

cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 11-29-2011 at 11:42 AM.
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Quote Originally Posted by Marty913 View Post
    Not to be a music bigot but given the "quality" of the overly compressed <128 kbit MP3 crap they are probably listening to, wouldn't a Progresso soup can and a string get the job done just as well.
    LOL!! Yeah, but only progresso cans, those Cambell soup cans are too thin for good sound.

Member Sales Rating: (24)

I've listen to them before and really didn't think they were all that great. Bass is the only thing they have going for them and honestly not a fan.

I wouldn't be suprised if there was something shady with them.
    2 Channel-
    Soundlab M3PX
    BAT VK-31
    Wyred SX1000 monos
    Esoteric DV50
    Dynavector p75 modded phono stage
    Rega P25 modded-Denon 103R Cart
    Squeezebox Touch
    Modded Music Hall DAC Burson op amps
    Richard Grey 600S
    MIT Shotgun IC's and SC

Member Sales Rating: (15)

Like all other Monster brand products, I stay far away. And advise my family&friends to do the same.
    My HT
    HDTV: Panasonic PT-61LCX65 61" Rear Proj. LCD
    AVR: Harman Kardon AVR 235
    Video: 80GB PS3, Toshiba HD-XA1 HD DVD
    Fronts: Polk Audio RTi8
    Center: Polk Audio CSi3
    Amp: Emotiva LPA-1
    Surrounds: Polk Audio R150
    Sub: HSU STF-3

The only true barrier to knowledge is the assumption that you already have it. - C.H. Dodd

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Beats is fine for the average hip-hop listener who likes paying Monster prices, but it is simply an EQ tweak as stated above. Professional would never use their products as customized EQ settings would only be a detriment to trying to capture a true recording.

It doesn't matter what you plug into the headphone jack of an ipod/phone... it will always sound like garbage. The success of this product is just a result of an extremely ingenious and successful marketing plan. Same reason people continue to buy Nike shoes despite the fact that they all know they're cheaply made and won't last.

One could say the same thing about many, many products. Like I said before, Monster certainly is not the worst offender in that regard.

To save a lot of money and get an accurate reproduction of the sound buy something like Sennheiser HD280 or Sony MDR-7506. I went with the MDR's and they are a fantastic value. The sound quality is very good and accurate throughout the whole range. This is to be expected because they are a popular tracking headphone. Durability is also a huge advantage compared to offerings from bose and the beats.

Unfortunately headphones are more about style and bass output than anything else. The average consumer is used to cheap earbuds and clock radios so of course they think the beats are great. When used with an ipod they take a low bitrate dead sounding recording and boost the bass and treble to give it life. So even though it is muddy the average consumer thinks they are magical.

I want to take the beats and compare them to my sonys or sennheiser hd280's on higher bitrate recordings. I think the bass output would be unbearable on the beats. Anyone tried the beats on better material?

That video is pretty funny, a simple eq swap is all that is necessary to get that beats sound. What if you loved the beats eq and applied it to a quality headphone with flat response, this would probably sound perfect for you.
    HT Setup: Onkyo 706; Lsi9's; Csi A6; Fxi3's eD A2-300

2 CH: Squeezebox Touch; Dared SL-2000a; Lsi9's; Carver M1.5T; Velodyne DLS-3750R; Music Hall DAC 25.2

I knew a lot of people would chime in. It really is a lot like Bose's practices. No specs, no tests, just tons of marketing.

Anyways I'm looking for a set of cans soon. Maybe an amplifier. Mainly pc listening. What should I go with? I hate the sound card in my laptop at work. Low budget, best sound for the money.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD

Member Sales Rating: (2)

7.1 - polk RTi10 x 3 (LCR) : FXi3 x 2 : RTi4 x 4 : MFW-15 (RIP): Yamaha Aventage RX-A1000 : Adcom GFA-7500 : PS3 : Squeezebox Touch : DIRECTV : Panasonic PT-AX200U PJ @120"
    5.1 - Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 x 4 : ProCenter 1000 : Klipsch Sub-10 : Onkyo TX-SR575 : DIRECTV HR22 DVR : LG 50PQ30 HDTV
    Garage Duty - polk Monitor 10s : Pioneer A-717 Integrated Amp : Squeezebox Classic

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

I like my Klipsch X10i headphones and my favorite amp to date is the Little Country 3 tube headphone amp from Firestone Audio.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

I've owned 2 HP laptops and the factory default setting always boosted bass.

Turn off the BS "audio enhancement" and it sounds much more natural.

The only thing different here is that apparently, the Beats Audio driver messes with your tone control to put bass and treble at MAX when turned on. And to -14 when turned off.

Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    One could say the same thing about many, many products. Like I said before, Monster certainly is not the worst offender in that regard.
    My gripe with Monster is they used to, and maybe still do, sue anyone who used the word Monster in a product or service. I am not familiar with their pricing.

What other audio companies do you feel are overcharging for their products?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    What other audio companies do you feel are overcharging for their products?
    Nearly all of them that aren't Internet Direct. Would be a much shorter list to list those that I feel charge reasonable prices. But as I buy the vast majority of my equipment used, I don't really care what the original MSRP was when the stuff was new. That's why I own a Monster AVL-300 and an HTS-2500 MKII. Would I have paid full price for them? Hell no. But just because Monster overcharges for them does not make them inherently bad pieces of hardware, and at the prices I got them at they were good values. Particularly impressed with the AVL-300, which is supposedly based on Logitech's 850. Aside from a horrible quality LCD display--which I can accept because, well, it's a remote--it's really a great piece of hardware with more capabilities than I will ever make use of.

Earbud-wise, I use Klipsch S4s for gym use - definite step up from the 5 year old Sennheiser CX-300s I was rocking before.

I have HD 428s for the office (closed ear) and they're OK. Not much on the low end and the cable is really thin. I recently upgraded my HD555s to HD600s and really like them. Only use them with the NAD integrated but they're very balanced and clear with lossless -> high res tracks.
    ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs

FYI, Ludacris launched his line of headphones as well. 'SOUL' - not sure who the OEM is though. So if 'BEATS' aren't your thing...
    ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs

Quote Originally Posted by PrazVT View Post
    FYI, Ludacris launched his line of headphones as well. 'SOUL' - not sure who the OEM is though. So if 'BEATS' aren't your thing...
    I believe both are "Monster" owned

Member Sales Rating: (15)

Quote Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
    I believe both are "Monster" owned
    SOUL by Ludacris is a subsidiary of a company called Signeo. As far as I know, they are not affiliated with Monster at all.
    My HT
    HDTV: Panasonic PT-61LCX65 61" Rear Proj. LCD
    AVR: Harman Kardon AVR 235
    Video: 80GB PS3, Toshiba HD-XA1 HD DVD
    Fronts: Polk Audio RTi8
    Center: Polk Audio CSi3
    Amp: Emotiva LPA-1
    Surrounds: Polk Audio R150
    Sub: HSU STF-3

The only true barrier to knowledge is the assumption that you already have it. - C.H. Dodd

Plenty of decent headphones to be had without lining a rap artist's pockets.

Not that I'm a fan of Boston Acoustics' new corporate logo, but isn't the logo of Beats by Dr. Dre a virtual copy....

I got a pair of the studio beats by dre and i was very disapointed with them. If they spend less time advertising and more time making a product it would have been better. I found the bottom end weak on them.

Thread Information