Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Agree.
    Ok I agree it help change the face of rock but best of the 90's?? Not by a long shot IMO...I know this is about your favorite not best..

Member Sales Rating: (0)

To each their own. I could easily disparage some of the other albums mentioned, but I won't. Nevermind was in fact among the first CDs I ever purchased. My first CD purchase was Ten, the black album and Nevermind, and of those Nevermind was/is my favorite.

RT-12, CS350-LS, PSW-300, Infinity Overture 1, Monoprice RC-65i
    Adcom GFA-545II, GFA-6000, Outlaw Audio 990, Netgear NeoTV
    Denon DCM-460, DMD-1000, Sony BDP-360, Bravia KDL-40Z4100/S
    Monster AVL-300, HTS-2500 MKII

Member Sales Rating: (8)

Not much "rock" that I would condsider a favorite from the 90's. If I had to pick just one:

The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over - Some old material...some new material...but an extremly well recorded and overall great album IMO.

There are however there are several artists that produced some music that I like quite a bit during the 90s.

A few that come to mind:

Jackson Browne - Looking East
    Sarah McLachlan - Fumbling Towards Ecstasy
    Sting - Ten Summoner's Tales
    Tom Petty - Into The Great Wide Open
    Neil Young - Harvest Moon
    Amy Grant - Behind The Eyes
    Big Head Todd and the Monsters - Sister Sweetly
    Nanci Griffith - The MCA Years: A Retrospective
    Last edited by shack; 12-03-2011 at 10:25 PM.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson

Quote Originally Posted by shack View Post
    Not much "rock" that I would condsider a favorite from the 90's. If I had to pick just one:

The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over - Some old material...some new material...but an extremly well recorded and overall great album IMO.

There are however there are several artists that produced some music that I like quite a bit during the 90s.

A few that come to mind:

Jackson Browne - Looking East
    Sarah McLachlan - Fumbling Towards Ecstasy
    Sting - Ten Summoner's Tales
    Tom Petty - Into The Great Wide Open
    Amy Grant - Behind The Eyes
    Nanci Griffith - The MCA Years: A Retrospective

Excellent choices shack!

I'm going to have to pick:

Jewel - Pieces Of You
    "Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music." ~ Ronald Reagan

"I love songs about horses, railroads, land, Judgment Day, family, hard times, whiskey, courtship, marriage, adultery, separation, murder, war, prison, rambling, damnation, home, salvation, death, pride, humor, piety, rebellion, patriotism, larceny, determination, tragedy, rowdiness, heartbreak and love. And Mother. And God." ~ Johnny Cash

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Rock albums only: Pearl Jam "Ten", STP "Core", Nirvana "In Utero", Metallica "Black", Sting "Ten Summoner's Tales", some of the MTV "Unplugged" like Eric Clapton, Neil Young, Nirvana, Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" lot's of choices that could make this list.

I could pick out some jazz that was also fabulous.
    Last edited by schwarcw; 12-03-2011 at 10:45 PM.
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by schwarcw View Post
    Rock albums only: Pearl Jam "Ten", STP "Core", Nirvana "In Utero", Metallica "Black", Sting "Ten Summoner's Tales" lot's of choices that could make this list. I could pick out some jazz that was also fabulous.
    Indeed. Where were you guys when i lit the fire in the 2 channel forum yesterday about HI-Fi shops that make you feel like you should drive a prius and sniff your own farts just because I don't only listen to jazz or classical. I really got under some guys skin which was entertaining at best and is still going 3 pages strong. I recognize talent regardless of the type of music.

In unrelated news I hate the Steelers! My Sea Hawks may be terrible this year, but that's ok.

Quote Originally Posted by mdaudioguy View Post
    Tool's Attachment 63345

Third Eye Blind's self-titled debut
    Third eye blind was greatness. Bush's debut was great too. They never really reached that level again. My vote is for smashing pumpkins melon collie and the infinite sadness though. That was a double disk too.

Actually, now that I think about it, I think I'm going to have to change it to Dave Matthews band with Crash.

Well everyone was listening to their own stuff back then right? I think you've all called out significant or classic albums. I think the albums I could listen to all the way through were ...

Rage Against The Machine - self titled / Evil Empire
    Dave Matthews - Under The Table.. / Crash
    Better Than Ezra - Deluxe
    Live - Throwing Copper
    311 - Grassroots / 311 / Transistor
    Weezer - Blue Album
    Toadies - Rubberneck
    REM - Everything through "New Adventures in Hi Fi"
    STP - Tiny Music
    Nirvana - Nevermind / Unplugged
    Soundgarden - Superunknown
    NIN - Downward Spiral
    Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream / Melon Collie...
    Silverchair - Frogstomp
    Bush - Sixteen Stone
    Spacehog - Resident Alien
    The Cranberries - No Need to Argue / Everyone Else is ...
    Meat Puppets - Too High to Die
    Sublime - Self-titled
    Kula Shaker - K
    Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill
    Cornershop - When I was Born for the 7th time
    Counting Crows - August and Everything After

3EB was good too - just got some of their albums recently to check out the non-radio hits.

But forget the lists (I missed a bunch anyway).... it was just great there was so much awesome music out at the same time!
    ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by shack View Post
    Harvest Moon is a phenominal album. Not sure if it's my favorite of the 90's, but it is a great album.

I saw Big Head Todd and the Monsters open for Robert Plant in 1993 for the "Fate of Nations" tour. I was amazed at how good they were. I bought Sister Sweetly and think it's a very good album.

Possibly my favorite album of the 90's is Jon Anderson's "Toltec". Phenominal, themed album. You should take a listen to it. Certainly not a rock album though.

Greg
    Last edited by headrott; 12-04-2011 at 04:11 AM.
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Member Sales Rating: (9)

Hum- You'd Prefer To Be An Astronaut
    Alice In Chains- Dirt
    Sunny Day Real Estate - Self titled
    The Verve Pipe
    Paw - Dragline
    Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
    Let me tell you something about life, around every corner monsters await. I know, I am one.

If I owned hell and this place, I would rent this place out and live in hell.

Mains: Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1
    Preamp: Modwright SWL9.0SE
    Amps: Butler TBD2250, PS Audio Trio
    PrePro: Cary Cinema 6, Outlaw 990
    DAC: Benchmark DAC1
    Universal Player: Denon 2900
    Cables: StraightWire Encore II, Kimber Hero, Audioquest Type 4, CV-8, Columbia DBS
    Power Conditioner: Belkin PF60

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    Third eye blind was greatness. Bush's debut was great too. They never really reached that level again. My vote is for smashing pumpkins melon collie and the infinite sadness though. That was a double disk too.
    Now you just made me remember Siamese Dream... I wore that disc out.

P.S. Just realized how much great music came from the 90s. I pretty much could listen to every album mentioned in this thread!
    Last edited by mdaudioguy; 12-04-2011 at 10:59 AM.
    7.1 - polk RTi10 x 3 (LCR) : FXi3 x 2 : RTi4 x 4 : MFW-15 (RIP): Yamaha Aventage RX-A1000 : Adcom GFA-7500 : PS3 : Squeezebox Touch : DIRECTV : Panasonic PT-AX200U PJ @120"
    5.1 - Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 x 4 : ProCenter 1000 : Klipsch Sub-10 : Onkyo TX-SR575 : DIRECTV HR22 DVR : LG 50PQ30 HDTV
    Garage Duty - polk Monitor 10s : Pioneer A-717 Integrated Amp : Squeezebox Classic

NIN The Downword Sprial
    NEW P-3 Pre: RCA 12BH7 2 X Brimar CV4034's
    Cary SLA70B Signature V2 Amplifier: 2 X Mullard G32's, 2 X RCA/GE 5691's, 4 X SED 6550's

Cambridge Audio 640C V2 CD Player & Dacmagic DAC

Rega Planar 3: Deep Groove Subplatter, P3 Motor
    upgrade, Rega Exact, JA Michell counterwieght, Cardas tonearm wiring and Mapleshade stand

Monolithic Sound PS-1 phonostage with HC-1b power supply

Polk Audio LS70's

H.H. Scott 330D AM/FM Tuner with H.H. Scott 335 Multiplex adaptor.

Old School
    Member Sales Rating: (1)

Ton of good mentions...

Quote Originally Posted by headrott View Post
    Big Head Todd and the Monsters ... Sister Sweetly...
    Possibly my favorite album of the 90's is Jon Anderson's "Toltec". Phenomenal, themed album. You should take a listen to it.
    That Big Head Todd is a very underrated album...
    Being a Yes fan (starting with their S/T and Time and a Word), I'm sorry to say I don't know Toltec... will check it out.

The ladies have gotten a little love to this point, but no mention so far of:
    Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill.
    Not that it's necessarily a measure of anything, but I'm hard pressed to come up with a 90's LP that sprouted more hits. Made more remarkable in that I never got the impression she had tried to write hits. If it's not the best of the 90's, it's got a great shot at being the angriest. She had some issues to air out... Biggest outpouring of emotion on record since Joni Mitchell's 70's masterpiece Blue.

Others of note in my book to add...
    Sinead O'Connor - I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got - seductive; great vocals
    Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik and Californication - inventive; addictive
    Bjork - Debut - quirky; infectious
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
    "Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

Rebuilding Maggie 2-ch & Amazing 2-ch... Building 2-ch "wall"... Figuring out the HT

Quote Originally Posted by Tour2ma View Post
    Being a Yes fan (starting with their S/T and Time and a Word), I'm sorry to say I don't know Toltec... will check it out.
    Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik
    Jon Anderson's "Toltec" is very different from YES' stuff, musically. It does have the themed album going for it like a lot of YES albums do though. I just don't want you going into it thinking you are getting a progressive rock style album. You must listen to the whole thing straight through. And listen to it a few times before making any decisions on it.

I completely didn't think about Red Hot Chili Peppers "Blood Sugar Sex Magik"! This is a phenominal album! From "Breaking the Girl", to "Suck My Kiss" to "They're Red Hot". Absolutely outstanding!

Greg

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

(FIIW) I've actually been thinking - hard - about this thread since it appeared. I was having real trouble coming up with a whole album from the 1990s that I'd consider epochal. Lots and lots of good - even great - music... but a whole album's worth - all actually appearing on one album?

This morning, I came up with one. Bleak, beautiful, pretty consistently strong tracks, somewhat thematic (faith and hope, lost and found)... great musicianship and a terrific recording. Here's my vote.

Patty Larkin Angels Running 1993.

http://www.pattylarkin.com/discography/running.html

EDIT: Tour2ma mentioned Jagged Little Pill... and that's a good call. I don't feel like Alannis' dudgeon has aged all that well... although I gotta admit that, given the place I found myself in c.a. 1995-96, I played that album quite a bit.
    Swallow it down, what a jagged little pill...
    Last edited by mhardy6647; 12-05-2011 at 08:42 AM.
    all the best,
    mrh

I saw Rage against the Machine pointed out here only once...I forgot about that one, great album.

I would have to add Smashing Pumpkins Siamese Dream to the mix, not my absolute favorite but a good one none the less

Awake- Dream Theater

Member Sales Rating: (6)

The 90s definitely had some good tunes. Here are a few of my favs from that period:

Rush Presto, ok technically this was realeased in late '89, but I wore this album out during the 90s. This is a vey underrated album from Rush IMHO, especially from a song-writing standpoint.

The Toadies Rubberneck. Who in here hasn't sung Possum Kingdom at the top of their lungs while drinking a few beverages?

Sting The Soul Cages. My favorite album from Sting by far. Sting wrote this after the death of his father. It's very moving and introspective. There are many gems on this one.

Pink Floyd Pulse. What else can I say but a damn fine album from one of the best.

SoundGarden Superunknown. A classic.

Eric Johnson Ah via Musicom. This is one of my favorite albums of all time. Simply superb!

All of Neil Youngs 90's output was great far better than the 80's Geffen Years, Soundgarden Superunknown awesome, I think that the Spin Doctors Pocketful Of Kryptonite deserves metion as does Blind Melon.

SoundGarden - Superunknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfish View Post
    Eric Johnson Ah via Musicom. This is one of my favorite albums of all time. Simply superb!
    Eric Johnson's Ah Via Musicom is outstanding! Every song is phenominal! One of the best guitarests of all time. Great suggestion.

Greg

Member Sales Rating: (37)

Probably Nine Inch Nails 1993 The Downward Spiral. Pretty Hate Machine was technically 1989, but still gaining traction in 1990. Reznor is a freaking musical genius!
    Last edited by inspiredsports; 12-06-2011 at 07:44 AM.
    VTL ST50 w/mods/RCA6L6GC/TlfnknECC801S
    CJPV-5 w/mods
    TT CJ Sonographe SG3 Oak/Sumiko LMT/Grado Wood Plat/Sumiko PIB2/The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020/Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9/Vibrapods/MIT Shtgn AC1 IEC's/MIT Shotgun 2 IC's/MIT Shtgn 2 Speaker
    PSAudio Cryo PwrPrt Prem/ExctPwrEP15A
    Wlnt SDA 2B TL/Oak SDA SRS II TL-Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Cust SDA ICs/Mortite/Dynamat Extreme/TFLF Rings/FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels

Member Sales Rating: (5)

A lot of my favorites have already been named, and I don't think I have one, single, favorite. But I can still throw out a couple I haven't seen...

Beck Odelay - Beck's sound and writing style really come together.
    Megadeath Rust In Peace - It's... Megadeath. What else do I need to say?
    Joe Satriani The Extremist - Probably Satch's best album.
    Are you part of the dirty digital peasants or a member of the great Analog Master Race?

SDA Recommended Playlist https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...FZCRkdxYXVNanc

Open for editing.

Member Sales Rating: (12)

One that I always go back to is:

Matchbox Twenty - Yourself or Someone Like You
    Marantz 7005 + Adcom GFA-7500
    LSI15,9s,LSIC
    JL Fathom F112
    Marantz UD7006
    Squeezebox Touch + Hegel hd11

division bell

pearl Jam Ten,
    Not an Audiophile, just a dude who loves music, and decent gear to hear it with.

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Thumbs up Mad season

Mad Season

Member Sales Rating: (20)

My favorite album of all time was release in 99, so it gets my vote here

Dream Theater - Scenes From A memory
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

I can't recall any good music in the 90's....LOL

Source: Squeezebox Touch/CIA Power Supply
    DAC: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Linestage: Placette RVC Passive
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12-NSD

Quote Originally Posted by headrott View Post
    Eric Johnson's Ah Via Musicom is outstanding! Every song is phenominal! One of the best guitarests of all time. Great suggestion.

Greg
    Thanks Greg! I appreciate that!

Thread Information