Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (8)

Default marantz imperial 6 speakers

i just recapped these old 2 ways..wow! they're really digging deep and clear..no more boxy sound..i used sonicaps..for a small room like my office these are perfect..running a jolida fx10 tube integrated...a whopping 10 wpc with el84's...don't need much more...stanley clark is clearing the dust

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I enjoy some Stanley Clarke myself, If This Bass Could Only Talk, and Journey to Love are two of my favorite Clarke albums, good tunes for testing out those Marantz's of yours, enjoy

Member Sales Rating: (2)

They were a solid, simple design using good, no-nonsense, inexpensive CTS cone drivers - not unlike the HH Scott speakers of the 1960s and into the 1970s.

You might enjoy this web page, if you've never seen it before.
    http://www.audioholics.com/education...-enough-part-1
    all the best,
    mrh

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

The picture of the Imperial 7s (12") looks eerily like my Rogers Sound Lab 40s (early edition). Looks like that same tweeter, midrange and 12" woofer with a similar configuration and the same port? The RSLs were also supposed to be a cheaper version of JBL 100s. They were the lower priced version of the higher priced Studio Monitor line by RSL.

Interesting!

cnh
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by cnh; 12-05-2011 at 10:33 PM.
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Imperial 6's were the first real speaker I ever bought. Fond memories. Then I heard large Advents, and sold the 6's; then I heard ADS L-700's, sold the Advents, then. . . .
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR binding posts, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheets (3" strips) installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA transformer

the 6 has a 10" woofer and is a 2 way design,,

Quote Originally Posted by drumminman View Post
    Imperial 6's were the first real speaker I ever bought. Fond memories. Then I heard large Advents, and sold the 6's; then I heard ADS L-700's, sold the Advents, then. . . .
    they kept things simple...with the new caps there's some voice down low that i wasn't hearing before

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    The picture of the Imperial 7s (12") looks eerily like my Rogers Sound Lab 40s (early edition). Looks like that same tweeter, midrange and 12" woofer with a similar configuration and the same port? The RSLs were also supposed to be a cheaper version of JBL 100s. They were the lower priced version of the higher priced Studio Monitor line by RSL.

Interesting!

cnh
    Boy, it does indeed. Interesting is right.

Opinions on the Imperial 7 vary rather widely...
    all the best,
    mrh

Quote Originally Posted by mhardy6647 View Post
    They were a solid, simple design using good, no-nonsense, inexpensive CTS cone drivers - not unlike the HH Scott speakers of the 1960s and into the 1970s.

You might enjoy this web page, if you've never seen it before.
    http://www.audioholics.com/education...-enough-part-1
    yes..i've seen that article..pretty cool..looks like they put some r&d into it:)

FWIW, this is the early 1970s Scott S-15 three way. Quite similar to the Marantz in its use of all cone drivers sourced from CTS (a different tweeter design, however, than the phenolic surround cone used in the Marantz speakers). The Scott used a sealed enclosure compared to the ported enclosures used by Marantz (the OEM CTS woofers, in each case, presumably optimized for the type of enclosure, despite being nearly identical cosmetically). Scott also touted their "constant impedance" crossovers... it would be interesting to compare the XO designs of the S-15 with the Imperial 7.

I can say (FWIW) that the S-15 is a far better sounding speaker than its appearance would herald.

That little 4" pincushion frame CTS driver used in the S-15 as a midrange is very closely related (if not identical) to the original Polk Audio "Bozo" drivers (used also in the Monitor Nine and Monitor 9A) and also the drivers used in the original series Bose 901 :-) They're very nicely made and good sounding extended-range drivers. Pioneer makes a similar "full range" driver to this very day. EDIT: well maybe not any more - the Pioneer driver is no longer listed at www.partsexpress.com
    Last edited by mhardy6647; 12-06-2011 at 10:24 AM.
    all the best,
    mrh

Thread Information