Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    972

    Default Scratching my head About amps!?

    Looking to upgrade my power supply from my Onkyo TXSR876,to a seperate amp! Have Rt2000i's up front,with a
    CS2 center,and Rt400's for surrounds. Have a $1000 budget/shipping,and interconnects! Looking for new,or used. My head scrathing is coming from the choices! Save a couple $ and go with a 3 channel amp,letting the avr do the rears,or go with the 5 channel amp and just get it all over with right away! Hoping for 200/wpc. I like the way my system sounds now,however, listening to everyone on this forum say how much an amp REALLY makes the world of difference,is making me itch! All the advice i see the good folks on here give to all us newbies about how this hobby really hurts the wallet! They werent chittin! LOL
    My enjoyment is 80/20 music/movie. Will the 876 be suffice for my beloved rt400's? Or should i spend the whole $1000 and get the 5 channel rig right away? A sincere thanx to anyone sharing their expieriance/knowledge with me!
    "Everything I ever did in my life worthwhile I caught hell for"

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    563

    Default

    if you spend 80% time listen to music, Why don't you get a GOOD two channel amp? I have a two channel DIY amp and I use it 50/50 music and movies. I would never get that 5.1 amps or receivers. But again that is just my opinion!

  3. #3

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    916

    Default

    Agree. 80/20 music/HT means 2 channel amp.
    Do you hear that buzzing noise?

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    17,050

    Default

    I would set aside 500 clams for a 2 channel amp, take the other 500 and add it to what ever you get for the 2000's and upgrade the speakers. Thats just me though.

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (10)

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Magnolia, NJ
    Posts
    4,081

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bobsauto49 View Post
    Looking to upgrade my power supply from my Onkyo TXSR876,to a seperate amp! Have Rt2000i's up front,with a
    CS2 center,and Rt400's for surrounds. Have a $1000 budget/shipping,and interconnects! Looking for new,or used. My head scrathing is coming from the choices! Save a couple $ and go with a 3 channel amp,letting the avr do the rears,or go with the 5 channel amp and just get it all over with right away! Hoping for 200/wpc. I like the way my system sounds now,however, listening to everyone on this forum say how much an amp REALLY makes the world of difference,is making me itch! All the advice i see the good folks on here give to all us newbies about how this hobby really hurts the wallet! They werent chittin! LOL
    My enjoyment is 80/20 music/movie. Will the 876 be suffice for my beloved rt400's? Or should i spend the whole $1000 and get the 5 channel rig right away? A sincere thanx to anyone sharing their expieriance/knowledge with me!
    I would usually agree about going with a two channel amp but in your case I wouldn't spend the money. Your RT2000i speakers are 90 db efficient at 8ohm...a very, very easy load to drive & couple that with their built in subs that take the pressure off the low end adding a new amp would not yield the results you are expecting. Your Onkyo AVR is pumping out 140w in two channel mode which is plenty for your situation. It's easy to get caught up with upgraditis from reading threads on this forum. Don't take everything you read as "gospel". But if you insist on spending money on a two channel amp then by all means do so, but don't expect to hear any difference.

    On another note, I personally would go with a good multi-channel amp & be done with it (which I did & it's the best move I've made). Because as sure as I'm typing this I know that if you do go with a two channel amp & by chance you do like the difference you'll be constantly wondering how the rest of your system would sound with extra amp power.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR
    D>SONIC M2-600M mono's / mains
    Rotel RMB-1095 / 5 channel amp
    Rotel RMB-1075 / 5 channel amp
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.
    Def Tech ProMonitor 1000 / front & rear presence
    Velodyne SPL-1200R subs / dual pair
    DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 sub EQ
    Equitech Balanced Power Son of Q 1.5R
    Extensive room treatments

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    563

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pearsall001 View Post
    I would usually agree about going with a two channel amp but in your case I wouldn't spend the money. Your RT2000i speakers are 90 db efficient at 8ohm...a very, very easy load to drive & couple that with their built in subs that take the pressure off the low end adding a new amp would not yield the results you are expecting. Your Onkyo AVR is pumping out 140w in two channel mode which is plenty for your situation. It's easy to get caught up with upgraditis from reading threads on this forum. Don't take everything you read as "gospel". But if you insist on spending money on a two channel amp then by all means do so, but don't expect to hear any difference.

    On another note, I personally would go with a good multi-channel amp & be done with it (which I did & it's the best move I've made). Because as sure as I'm typing this I know that if you do go with a two channel amp & by chance you do like the difference you'll be constantly wondering how the rest of your system would sound with extra amp power.
    As I said before, For music the best choice is a "good" two channel amp, and when I say a good amp I mean something like Bryston or equal. Do not get the crabs that sells in Best Buy, Wallmart etc. if He wants it for movies, He can use a 5.1 receiver or amp with all that crab of Dolby surround sound and DSP etc etc... in my case, I have two ears (left and right) I do not need more than left and right speakers. maybe in the future I will put and extra ear on back of my head to listent in sorround mode lol.

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    972

    Default

    Pearsall's last sentence in post 5 is what worries me most! Which is why i was asking for others expieriance's on having a 3ch rig and letting a quality avr handling the rears,or just getting a 5ch amp!
    Also,am i the only guy that like to listen to his music in all channels stereo? Ive tinkered with my receiver for hours on end,and i find that MY favorite for music cd's is the all channels stereo mode! Am i just different? Or just plain stupid? Most who know me personally would favor both.
    "Everything I ever did in my life worthwhile I caught hell for"

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    563

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bobsauto49 View Post
    Pearsall's last sentence in post 5 is what worries me most! Which is why i was asking for others expieriance's on having a 3ch rig and letting a quality avr handling the rears,or just getting a 5ch amp!
    Also,am i the only guy that like to listen to his music in all channels stereo? Ive tinkered with my receiver for hours on end,and i find that MY favorite for music cd's is the all channels stereo mode! Am i just different? Or just plain stupid? Most who know me personally would favor both.
    So if you listen to music in Dolby mode (5.1) just get a "decent" receiver with at least 100 watts RMS per channel. your speakers have high SPL so that power is more than enough.

  9. #9

    Member Sales Rating: (5)

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pensacola, Florida
    Posts
    754

    Default

    I'm basically in Pearsall's camp. My listening habits are more 50/50 although some of the movie 50 would be concerts etc. Still, if I were 80/20 I'd want the 20 to sound just as good as the 80 when I was in that environment. I have a 5-channel amp but have used a 2-channel with the receiver driving the rest. It was "OK", but it wasn't the same - and it wasn't as good. I don't listen to a lot of 5-channel stereo but it does come in handy for parties or when I'm working around the house. If it were me and I probably wouldn't consider a 2-channel amp unless it was for a dedicated music environment. In a "mixed" environment it would probably be a debate between a 3-channel or a 5-channel amp. Just my opinion.
    Sony 60'' SXRD 1080p
    Amp = Carver AV-705THX 5-Channel
    Processor = NAD T747
    Panasonic BD35 Blu-Ray
    Main = SDA-1C Studio with RD0s, spikes, XO rebuild, rings, I/C upgrade
    Center=Polk CS10, Surround = Athena Dipoles, Sub= Boston 12HO
    Music/Video Streaming = Netgear NEO550
    TT = Audio Technica

  10. #10

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e
    Posts
    11,765

    Default

    I agree with Phil (pearsall001) above. That Onkyo has a lot of power. I would "not" bother to amplify the surrounds (RT400s) or the CS2--the Onkyo can "easily" handle that.

    A good two channel amp would be nice for music though. (I'm an not a fan of 5.1 stereo--that's like listening to "background" music...it's all over the place). Onkyos are not what I would call warm so they're probably best matched with a Carver, Parasound, B&K, maybe? You should listen to some of those and see "how" they sound to you!

    cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

  11. #11

    Member Sales Rating: (10)

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Magnolia, NJ
    Posts
    4,081

    Default

    To the OP...for a combo HT/2 channel system (which you have) just pick yourself up a nice 5/7 channel amp & be done with it. This way you're future proofed as far as changing speakers go & it makes it a lot easier when it comes to moving on to another AVR or prepro. Now you can keep up with technology & just get a new AVR when the time comes that has the features you need along with pre outs. No need to spend extra $$$$ because you don't need the amp power from the AVR. Now you can also look at prepro's instead of an AVR. It just gives you greater flexibility going forward. And don't let anyone tell you that a multi-channel amp can't perform in a 2 channel setting...pure hogwash!!!
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR
    D>SONIC M2-600M mono's / mains
    Rotel RMB-1095 / 5 channel amp
    Rotel RMB-1075 / 5 channel amp
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.
    Def Tech ProMonitor 1000 / front & rear presence
    Velodyne SPL-1200R subs / dual pair
    DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 sub EQ
    Equitech Balanced Power Son of Q 1.5R
    Extensive room treatments

  12. #12

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    972

    Default

    Thanx Pearsall,and all others for input! I'm buying a 5ch,for the exact reasons Pearsall has said! Dont want to be thinking how much better all ch would be if i bought a 2 or 3 ch amp! This has been my thinking,however it feel reassuring to hear it from someone else! A very sincere ty!!!!!!
    "Everything I ever did in my life worthwhile I caught hell for"

  13. #13

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    563

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bobsauto49 View Post
    Thanx Pearsall,and all others for input! I'm buying a 5ch,for the exact reasons Pearsall has said! Dont want to be thinking how much better all ch would be if i bought a 2 or 3 ch amp! This has been my thinking,however it feel reassuring to hear it from someone else! A very sincere ty!!!!!!
    To get a "REAL" good 5/7 amp, you will have to spend more money than to get a "REAL" good 2 channel amp. since it will be more parts and most companies degrade quality to save money (not the case with BRYSTON). But since you mind is set to get a 5/7 channel amp...Good luck!

  14. #14

    Member Sales Rating: (10)

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Magnolia, NJ
    Posts
    4,081

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bobsauto49 View Post
    Thanx Pearsall,and all others for input! I'm buying a 5ch,for the exact reasons Pearsall has said! Dont want to be thinking how much better all ch would be if i bought a 2 or 3 ch amp! This has been my thinking,however it feel reassuring to hear it from someone else! A very sincere ty!!!!!!
    Good move on your part, you won't regret it!!!
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR
    D>SONIC M2-600M mono's / mains
    Rotel RMB-1095 / 5 channel amp
    Rotel RMB-1075 / 5 channel amp
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.
    Def Tech ProMonitor 1000 / front & rear presence
    Velodyne SPL-1200R subs / dual pair
    DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 sub EQ
    Equitech Balanced Power Son of Q 1.5R
    Extensive room treatments

  15. #15

    Member Sales Rating: (11)

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Posts
    2,018

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bobsauto49 View Post
    Thanx Pearsall,and all others for input! I'm buying a 5ch,for the exact reasons Pearsall has said! Dont want to be thinking how much better all ch would be if i bought a 2 or 3 ch amp! This has been my thinking,however it feel reassuring to hear it from someone else! A very sincere ty!!!!!!
    My Onkyo loves working with the Rotel amp (1075), wish I could afford 1095..
    Panasonic PT-AE4000U projector for movies
    EluneVision 92" Cinema Gray fixed screen
    Onkyo TX-SR805 Pre/Pro
    Rotel RMB-1075 Amp
    B&W CDM1-SE fronts
    B&W CDM-CNT center
    B&W CDM1 rears
    Samsung DTB-H260F OTA HDTV tuner
    DUAL NHT SubTwo subwoofers
    Velodyne SMS-1
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-Ray player
    Belkin PF60 Power Center
    Harmony 890 RF remote
    Panasonic TC-P50G20 TV + PS3 in the living room

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Need Help amps vs amps + preamps vs intergrated amps for 2 channel?
    By SivaNevets in forum Electronics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-22-2009, 07:35 PM
  2. Rear in walls rumble and scratching
    By chadmcc in forum Troubleshooting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-21-2006, 07:01 PM
  3. 2 amps on a 1 pre out head unit?
    By eatsleepplayscc in forum Car Audio & Electronics
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-12-2006, 01:20 AM
  4. 2 amps on a 1 pre out head unit?
    By eatsleepplayscc in forum Speakers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-08-2006, 08:58 AM
  5. Sony NS700p going head-to-head with my Panny RP56
    By Ron-P in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-16-2001, 03:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts