Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (27)

Default RTia7 & CSia6 mod thread

Little bit of changes over my first RTai7 mod
    Attached Images  
    www.Vr3Mods.com ///// www.Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro

Member Sales Rating: (0)

So how is your CsiA6 mod going? what components did you put in it?

Nice work so far!
    TV.......................Samsung 46" LCD LN46A550
    A/V Receiver.........Yamaha RX-V3900
    Amplifier.............. Emotiva XPA-1 Gen 2 for fronts, XPA-3 Gen 2 for center and Surrounds.
    BluRay Player.........Sony PS3
    Fronts...................RTia9 (modded)
    Center.............. ...CSiA6 (modded)
    Surrounds.............Empty for now. But waiting for a Fxi A6 deal on polk ebay.
    Rear Surrounds.... Deciding if front presence is the way to go instead.
    Sub..................... SVS PB12-plus/2

Hey!

I have not started on the CSiA6 but I am using Clarity Cap PX and ESA with Mills resistors

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro

I opened my csia6 and i can't figure out what the yellow capacitor is?

it reads 0.47J100V

so i think it's 0.47 something at 100volts.

but i'm in the process of ordering parts for my sonicaps, and i don't know what to replace the yellow component with.

Dang!

Also, sonicap doesn't offer 82UF capacitors, any recommendations?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5780.jpg‎
Views:	121
Size:	506.3 KB
ID:	59191   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5781.jpg‎
Views:	95
Size:	462.8 KB
ID:	59192   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5782.jpg‎
Views:	97
Size:	511.9 KB
ID:	59193   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5783.jpg‎
Views:	108
Size:	470.8 KB
ID:	59194  
    Amplifier.............. Emotiva XPA-1 Gen 2 for fronts, XPA-3 Gen 2 for center and Surrounds.
    Surrounds.............Empty for now. But waiting for a Fxi A6 deal on polk ebay.

Member Sales Rating: (5)

The something is a capacitor and the j means 5% tolerance. For the 82uf here are two choices:

Two of these: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/psho...Number=027-442

One of these: http://www.madisound.com/store/produ...oducts_id=8166

5% tolerance would equal 4.1uf so either is within specification.

Thanks so much for the reply.

so which would work to replace that 0.47J100V component?

0.47uF / 600VDC
    4uF / 200VDC
    4uF / 400VDC
    4uF / 600VDC
    4.3uF / 200VDC

Also, Sorry to be such a newbie at this. I wasn't able to find a good diagram to explain which capacitor on the MDF is for low/mid/high?

dang, just for the 82uF is going to cost 41+30 dollars of shipping.

I wonder what that 82uF is for. Perhaps I can leave that component alone on my CSi A6
    Last edited by Tungx2; 07-12-2011 at 10:38 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (5)

0.47uf.

If you want further help it would be best to draw a little sketch of the circuit or possibly with some labeling added, post pictures of the traces on the PCB. Vr3MxStyler2k3 may be able to help if he is working on one of these.

From the pictures it is not possible to know how the components all hook together.

Most likely the 82uf capacitor shunts the low frequency signals below the bottom crossover point to the negative lead.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

The .47uF is a bypass cap, which isn't needed when replacing the other caps with better quality. However, the value is kind of large for a bypass cap, so I would increase the value of whatever it is suppose to bypass by .5uF.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

dang, just for the 82uF is going to cost 41+30 dollars of shipping.

I wonder what that 82uF is for. Perhaps I can leave that component alone on my CSi A6
    I ended up springing for it but I think it'll be on a separate breadboard that I'll have to hot glue to the inside cab. I'm sure Trey'll post a pic when he gets to the CSi A6
    ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs

Here is an updated pic - just running these at full tilt to make sure everything looks solid....

Once they are done testing I am going to go pick up some shorter threaded rod and I am going to do the CSiA6 with the same method and mount the 82uf on top..
    Attached Images  

I get what you're saying now about the 'same method' - that'll make installation a little easier.

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs

CSiA6 done!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	done1.jpg‎
Views:	139
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	59354   Click image for larger version

Name:	done2.jpg‎
Views:	139
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	59355  

LOL that is quite a cap ;) But it should fit fine. Thanks Trey!

Home Theater:

2 Channel:

So how did it sound after the upgrade?

Worth the upgrade on the CSI A6?

Looking forward to hear from you.

Good job on the upgrade!

It was worth it on mine. Trey did a good job and they sound great.
    AVR: Onkyo Tx-NR808
    Amplifier: Carver A-753x 250 watts x 3
    Fronts: Polk RTI A7 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Center: CSI A4 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Rear: FXI A4
    Sub: Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    TV: LG Infinia 50PX950 3D
    Speaker Cable: AudioQuest Type 8
    IC: AudioQuest Black Mamba II

Hey guys - got the crossovers today and I've run into a snag. The Parasound HCA-1000A amp that powers the center seems to have bit the dust. I got as far as installing the CSi A6 crossovers and putting drivers back in and then realized I wasn't getting any sound of the speaker.

Took the center apart again to make sure everything was in tact, tried another amp and they are working. So looks like the center amp crapped out - ugh. That's 2 / 3 used amps dying on me (the other was the 2200ii). Anyway - will use the receiver for power right now until I get a new amp (Parasound 2125 or A23 perhaps). I should have everything hooked up by tonight so I'll report back.

Thanks again Trey!

Home Theater:

2 Channel:

Connected up the RTi A7s - had to chip a little off the breadboards to get the xo's in but they're in :). Played a few tunes and first thing I noticed was the improved clarity. Highs are a wee bit harsh, but went through the same with the LSi9s. They'll settle after the burn in period.

Home Theater:

2 Channel:

yea the wood opening isnt much larger than the plastic binding plate.
    AVR: Onkyo Tx-NR808
    Amplifier: Carver A-753x 250 watts x 3
    Fronts: Polk RTI A7 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Center: CSI A4 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Rear: FXI A4
    Sub: Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    TV: LG Infinia 50PX950 3D
    Speaker Cable: AudioQuest Type 8
    IC: AudioQuest Black Mamba II

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Default sick

Quote Originally Posted by Vr3MxStyler2k3 View Post
    CSiA6 done!
    looks awesome, please give us a review!

Hey Praz!
    Glad to hear they arrived in one piece! The brightness will go away with time!

Sucks to hear about that amp! Thanks for the opprotunity to mod your crossovers and let me know what ya think!

Trey - you did an awesome job man!! Very professionally done and yes - they made it back in one piece :) Definitely worth the wait.

I had to take a break for a few hours after putting the speakers back together. Going to clean up the HT area (too many wires ..ugly) and hopefully in a couple of hours I can fire it all up!

As for the amp - yeah kinda sucks. But I paid $275 for it and Parasound will probably charge me $230 to fix, so decided on replacing it with a newer, lightly used Parasound 2125 off of Audiogon.
    Last edited by PrazVT; 07-27-2011 at 10:50 PM.

Home Theater:

2 Channel:

Ah shucks!

Thanks man!!

Finally finished reorganizing the whole rack, positioning the speakers, and running Audyssey. Listening to some McCartney, Lennon, and Beatles FLACs in PLII mode to test out the center - wow the front stage has been transformed! It's like the day I hooked up an amp to the A7s. Clean, powerful sound - more detailed - very nice. and the center sounds more integrated and seamless. Once it's back on amp power it'll be even better.

Home Theater:

2 Channel:

Bad ass!!!

Thats totally awesome!

Rather than start a new thread - perhaps I should add it on here. I've run audyssey about 10 times today after noticing that every time I do it, the right RTi A7 is ~1dB louder than the left one. The speakers are perfectly symmetric w/ the same amount of toe in.

I checked all the ICs, the speaker jumpers, swapped out the speaker cable and checked the volume level on the Halo A21 amp and everything seems ok. But Audyssey keeps setting the right RTi A7 -0.5dB or it'll set the left one +0.5dB. I set the mic at the absolute middle as well. Verified with my spl meter that the left speaker tends to measure at 77.6dB while the right speaker is pushing 78.2dB or so.. very odd.

Is there any risk of speaker output being uneven when the crossovers are modded? Just trying to rule out things..

Thanks,

Praz

Home Theater:

2 Channel:

Since they are not left/right specific, swap sides and test again.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

.... That is incredibly odd...

1db louder? Wow - I cant think of anything that could cause such a monster. We used the same parts across the board and I dont think there is any issue that could cause this. We used the same values everywhere as well..

Keep me updated.

Chances are that Audyssey is picking up a room anomaly and compensating for it.

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    Chances are that Audyssey is picking up a room anomaly and compensating for it.
    Yep !!! thats what my money would be on..

F1nut, I think you're right - with street traffic and perhaps my positioning of the mic, I may have repeatedly been off a bit each time. I just ran it one more time after adjusting the mic and both speakers measured exactly the same.

Trey - sorry, didn't mean to cast any doubt on your work. You did an incredible job :) Perhaps I'm getting a little too obsessive about this stuff!

Home Theater:

2 Channel:

Thread Information