Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default 2 Channel System

In a dedicated 2 ch. which would be better, a 2 ch. amp. or an integrated amp? Source is a Yamaha RX-v870.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Your source is an avr - is your question on how to combine an HT system using your Yamaha and add 2-channel?

If you are strictly building a 2-channel system, I'd start from scratch with 'true' 2-channel components and ditch the AVR as a pre.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.

Well good question Erik! My music mostly comes from Sat. thru the Yammy. I thought that I could purchase either a strict 2 ch. amp or an integrated amp, and run it off the Yammy?

You can keep your AVR and build a hybrid HT/2-channel system - guess it depends on how strongly you feel about going pure old school for 2-channel.

I built a hybrid system by getting an integrated amp that has a feature called "HT Direct" (or HT "Bypass"). This allows you to keep the AVR for multi-channel setups and speakers by feeding the Front L/R preout signals to the integrated amp so that when watching movies the integrated amp is nothing more than an amp (volume is controlled by the AVR).

But for 'serious' 2-channel listening - all of the source components for turntable, CD, SACD, etc are directly connected to the integrated amp and the AVR is turned off.

You can certainly add an external amp to your Yamaha and realize some sonic gains w/ good amplification, but - imo - the AVR will be the weak link as the pre-amp if you really want to step up your 2-channel system.

I did this with my Yamaha RX-V1800 - added an amp first, but went with the integrated amp with HT Bypass. To me, waaay better sounding.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Erik, I think this is for a strictly 2-channel system, no ht bypass needed. Correct, mara?

If this is the case, you'd use your yammy as a preamp, and connect it to a poweramp via its preouts; however, I'm not sure that your yammy has preouts... I looked at the manual and couldn't tell what the "coupler" section was.

http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/...re/RX-V870.pdf

If your yammy does have preouts, then you would connect it to a 2-channel power amp via RCA cables. You would not connect it to an integrated amp, because an integrated amp is basically a preamp and power amp in one, which you wouldn't want because your yammy is already preforming preamp duties.

If your yammy does not have preouts, then you would have to start over. In this case, you could go with an integrated amp as a generally less expensive option, or separate pre and power amps as a generally better sounding option. Take note of the *generallys* in that last sentence.

It seems like you want to keep the yammy because it's providing a signal from a Satellite? How is it connected? You may be able to use something else.
    Last edited by falconcry72; 12-08-2011 at 03:34 PM.
    2-Channel:

Source 1: PC
    Source 2: Rega Apollo CDP
    USB > SPDIF Converter: Stello U3
    DAC: Audio GD NFB-7
    Preamp: Audio Research LS-15
    Power Amp: BAT VK-500
    Speakers: Magnepan 3.7's

HT:

Source 1: HTPC
    Source 2: Oppo 103
    Pre/Pro: Marantz av8003
    Power Amp: Rotel RMB-1095
    Fronts: LSiM-705's
    Center: LSiM-704c
    Surrounds: LSiM-702's
    Subs: Dual SVS PC12-NSD's

Falconcry 72, you hit it right on the head. The Yammy has preouts. Would use the Yam. for a pre,and then an amp, to speakers. I like the sound of the Yam. and saving 1k-ish on some type of tuner ,whatever. I'm not looking for audiophile quality, just very good sound. My speakers were delivered today (Kef XQ40's). What amp would compliment the speakers and Yam? The 40's run just a little bright, so looking for a warmish type amp,$1500 ish. Thx Joe

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Quote Originally Posted by mara5 View Post
    ...so looking for a warmish type amp,$1500 ish. Thx Joe
    hmm. Keep in mind I've never heard that Yamaha, but...

I think that given your speakers, and if you spent 1500 on a poweramp, that Yamaha would be an obvious weak link, not allowing you to get the best out of the other pieces. I think you'd be better off splitting that 1500 50/50 on a 2-channel pre and 2-channel poweramp. Just off the top of my head, the classic Adcom GFP-750 and GFA-5802 combo can be had for 1500, but there are many many other choices out there. Interested in tubes?

I'm not looking for audiophile quality
    For 1500 bucks, you can find it, if you want it.
    2-Channel:

Source 1: PC
    Source 2: Rega Apollo CDP
    USB > SPDIF Converter: Stello U3
    DAC: Audio GD NFB-7
    Preamp: Audio Research LS-15
    Power Amp: BAT VK-500
    Speakers: Magnepan 3.7's

HT:

Source 1: HTPC
    Source 2: Oppo 103
    Pre/Pro: Marantz av8003
    Power Amp: Rotel RMB-1095
    Fronts: LSiM-705's
    Center: LSiM-704c
    Surrounds: LSiM-702's
    Subs: Dual SVS PC12-NSD's

THX Falcon, gives me some food for thought.

Member Sales Rating: (10)

I see you're still driving yourself nuts!!! You haven't had the XQ 40's long enough to form an opinion yet. You think they sound bright????? WOW!!!! That Yammie has plenty of juice to drive them. Why not hold pat till you log some miles before jumping all over the place. Enjoy them with what you have & then start looking ahead...maybe you won't even have to. Just a thought, good luck!
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR
    D>SONIC M2-600M mono's / mains
    Rotel RMB-1095 / 5 channel amp
    Rotel RMB-1075 / 5 channel amp
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.
    Def Tech ProMonitor 1000 / front & rear presence
    Velodyne SPL-1200R subs / dual pair
    DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 sub EQ
    Equitech Balanced Power Son of Q 1.5R
    Extensive room treatments

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Yamahas can be a little bright, and it seems like you're stuck with the Yamaha if you're main source is SAT/dish tunes. But the 1800 is not the "worst" offender there. Lower level Yammies are much brighter.

You need some warmer sounding amps: Carver, Parasound, NAD, B&K maybe? Listen to some and see what sounds best to you.

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

For $1500 - buy this and call it a day - would be way better that any avr/amp combo.
    http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....-A5-Very-Clean

Hi Phil, as usual sound advice, but everything I've read about the 40's indicates they need an amp to reach their potential. I'm not rushing into it. Just want the right info for when the time comes. Joe.

Erik, it's gone already.

Phil, No I don't consider them bright. Have not hooked them up yet. A couple of the reviews I read said that they were slightly bright, or leaning that way,etc. I haven't bought any speaker cables yet, so debating hooking up now with bargin basement wire, or waiting till next week, when I head to Omaha. Joe.

The Musical Fidelity products usually do go fast.

If you don't mind buying used - audiogon.com can be a good source of really good values that will definitely step up your 2-channel system.

I'm a fan of MF - I got my A5 int amp from audiogon, but there are some other really nice values too to watch for - Rega Brio integrated amps pop up for very fair prices and are highly regarded. Or maybe a Cambridge Audio integrated, Music Hall, Creek, and more.

This MF is still available at a nice price:
    http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....-Fidelity-A3.2

It doesn't have HT Bypass, but since that is not a feature you need - could be worth considering.

Thread Information