Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default banana plugs recommended?

Just got a new receiver (Denon AVR 891) and until I can afford new speakers will hook up my Polk RM6000 and PSW202 subwoofer. Should I use banana plugs? Will I have any problems using the wiring scheme recommended by Polk, i.e., connecting RF and LF to the speaker level inputs of the subwoofer, etc.. Thanks. I feel a little out of my depth with this new receiver.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Banana plugs will work fine ...... but sometimes they dont

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by polkfarmboy View Post
    Banana plugs will work fine ...... but sometimes they dont
    Especially when one shears off his binding posts.

Zock, welcome to CP. Banana plugs are a convenient method for quick connect/disconnect. Although you don't necessarily need them, they are nice. Your Denon AVR has subwoofer preouts, so you can use a single cable connection from the receiver to the sub instead of using the speaker line levels. This is a much easier and cleaner install for your sub and the method I would recommend.

Member Sales Rating: (58)

Banana plugs are uber convenient and they work just fine. I've yet to read of a failure but I'm sure someone in the world has experienced something awful and utterly life changing when it comes to a simple metal plug.

Lololol

Thanks for the welcome and advice.
    My manual for the speakers says (in caps): DO NOT USE THE "SUBWOOFER OUTPUT" OR LFE JACK ON YOUR RECEIVER TO CONNECT THE SUBWOOFER.
    The explanation given for this instruction is that the subwoofer has a low pass filter built in and that the subwoofer "outputs on most receivers also contain a fixed low pass filter."
    The subwoofer jack on the receiver is labeled PREOUT. Not sure what that means but I'm guessing from your advice that it means that the subwoofer jack does not have a low pass filter.
    Thanks again!

Default subwoofer low pass filter

My manual for the speakers says (in caps): DO NOT USE THE "SUBWOOFER OUTPUT" OR LFE JACK ON YOUR RECEIVER TO CONNECT THE SUBWOOFER.
    The explanation given for this instruction is that the subwoofer has a low pass filter built in and that the subwoofer "outputs on most receivers also contain a fixed low pass filter."
    The subwoofer jack on the receiver is labeled PREOUT. Not sure what that means but I'm guessing from your advice that it means that the subwoofer jack does not have a low pass filter.
    Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Keiko View Post
    Especially when one shears off his binding posts.

Zock, welcome to CP. Banana plugs are a convenient method for quick connect/disconnect. Although you don't necessarily need them, they are nice. Your Denon AVR has subwoofer preouts, so you can use a single cable connection from the receiver to the sub instead of using the speaker line levels. This is a much easier and cleaner install for your sub and the method I would recommend.

Member Sales Rating: (58)

Dude....it's trying to keep you from double filtering. I'm not sure when a subwoofer manual became the tome of connections when it comes to another component in the system.

If you don't have any subwoofer or LFE options on your AVR, then stick to speaker level connections for the best signal and performance. If you DO have that capability, you use the AVR as your subwoofer adjustment and crank the settings for xover on the subwoofer all the way up.

Default Subwoofer with AVR

Quote Originally Posted by dorokusai View Post
    Dude....it's trying to keep you from double filtering. I'm not sure when a subwoofer manual became the tome of connections when it comes to another component in the system.

If you don't have any subwoofer or LFE options on your AVR, then stick to speaker level connections for the best signal and performance. If you DO have that capability, you use the AVR as your subwoofer adjustment and crank the settings for xover on the subwoofer all the way up.
    Thanks, I think I understand what you're advising.

Old School

I'm a dual banana guy myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Keiko View Post
    Banana plugs are a convenient method for quick connect/disconnect. Although you don't necessarily need them...
    They are borderline essential for a couple amps I own. Very tight spacing makes terminating bare, heavy gauge wire problematic.

Zock,
    Put that late model Denon in control and max out the sub's x-over frequency setting per doro's instructions.

Calibration-wise for the Denon, I'd suggest you set speakers to "small" with cross-over at 85 Hz for starters and experiment (up and down) from there.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
    "Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

Rebuilding Maggie 2-ch & Amazing 2-ch... Building 2-ch "wall"... Figuring out the HT

Thread Information