Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Remains of 274 US troops dumped in landfill......what a wonderful military we have

Title says it all. This is when you know our country is NOT the greatest in the world anymore. We don't even give a crap about the people who gave their lives for us. I cannot imagine being a parent knowing this is how my son and or daughter was honored for their ultimate sacrifice. No wonder the rest of the world laughs at us now. We have now turned on our own and they are loving every minute of it.
    http://news.yahoo.com/remains-274-us...081234306.html

Everything matters. That is all.
    Money cannot buy happiness, but it sure can buy a bad ass boat to pull up along side it though.

Wtf.

Member Sales Rating: (49)

And soon it will be illegal to wave the American flag like prayer in schools!!!

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I think the fact that 274 soldiers had families that didn't want to deal with the remains themselves is the problem. These were remains left for the military to deal with.

Although I might not have the right answer, this has been going on for centuries from every country in bad times...no excuse I know, but let's cut some slack to the folks in charge, there are many, many reasons why this might have happened, we weren't there, it's not like we all haven't had them in our thoughts and prayers all this time, that means more than where the body (just a shell of who they were here) wound up. Sorry, I never understood this whole body respect thing, it's just a body, the person is no longer with it.
    Huh? Wot?? Dig it :tongue:

Where can I get me some??

Member Sales Rating: (37)

I'm not sure how to think about this one. Where you put a physical body is one thing, but once a body has been cremated it doesn't seem like you could do much worse to it. I certainly don't appreciate these soldiers ultimate sacrifice any less because of where there ashes were placed.

An urn of ashes really is just symbolic if you think about it. Their families would have claimed the ashes if they wanted them. If they didn't have family, the symbolism is pretty much irrelevent.
    VTL ST50 w/mods/RCA6L6GC/TlfnknECC801S
    CJPV-5 w/mods
    TT CJ Sonographe SG3 Oak/Sumiko LMT/Grado Wood Plat/Sumiko PIB2/The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020/Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9/Vibrapods/MIT Shtgn AC1 IEC's/MIT Shotgun 2 IC's/MIT Shtgn 2 Speaker
    PSAudio Cryo PwrPrt Prem/ExctPwrEP15A
    Wlnt SDA 2B TL/Oak SDA SRS II TL-Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Cust SDA ICs/Mortite/Dynamat Extreme/TFLF Rings/FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels

Member Sales Rating: (4)

The ashes should have respectfully been dispersed somewhere else in my opinion. My mother-in laws ashes were dispersed into the ocean surrounded by all family members to witness. It was the last her family would ever see of her phisical remains but they were remains.

Couldn't a military plane disperse the ashs over our vast country from 3,000 ft. SOMEWHERE else?

As it is now and will always be, Osama Bin Laden had a better remains burial from our country than the 274 soldiers' remains. Am I Right?
    Last edited by Tony M; 12-08-2011 at 10:47 PM.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies . I am glad to be a part of a select group that tries to take our auditory and visual senses to a higher level: we EXPERIENCE them.... GOT SDA?...GOT SUNFIRE? ...GOT Maggies?

Member Sales Rating: (16)

They deserve better than being dumped like garbage into a landfill. Pretty f^kt up, IMO.

Member Sales Rating: (27)

Yeah I would think you could just dump them in the ocean and be done..

Its not like... "Fallen Soliders Ashes mixed in with concrete to form military memorial..." still strange and all but better than trash heap
    www.Vr3Mods.com ///// www.Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro

pepster

I would not have thought it would even be legal to put human remains in a landfill.
    Unbelievable shame!

Quote Originally Posted by tony millard View Post
    As it is now and will always be, Osama Bin Laden had a better remains burial from our country than the 274 soldiers' remains. Am I Right?
    That says it all right there.
    The least they could do is give these cremated remains a specific burial plot, after all, how much room does ashes take up ? To dump them with the garbage is just plain disrespectfull to our country and those soldiers. The fact that some may be just body parts is irrelevant. A simple 6 foot grave can hold alot of ashes.

Quote Originally Posted by pepster View Post
    I would not have thought it would even be legal to put human remains in a landfill.
    Unbelievable shame!
    For you and I it probably is illegal....but since when did something illegal ever stop our government ?

Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Quote Originally Posted by stuwee View Post
    Although I might not have the right answer, this has been going on for centuries from every country in bad times...no excuse I know, but let's cut some slack to the folks in charge, there are many, many reasons why this might have happened, we weren't there, it's not like we all haven't had them in our thoughts and prayers all this time, that means more than where the body (just a shell of who they were here) wound up. Sorry, I never understood this whole body respect thing, it's just a body, the person is no longer with it.

EPIC FAIL right here^^^

These men and quite possibly women too, have given everything sio that you are free to believe that rubbish you posted. Their souls have indeed left their mortal remains, but regardless of whether a family stepped forward to claim their bodies, their sacrifice should have been met with the highest honors our nation can give them. I find your position to be horrific at best, and it strikes at the very core of what is wrong with our country. If we don't give a sh!t about the remains of those that safeguard our freedoms, then our liberties are already lost. Shame on you and shame on those that did this to the bravest of us all.

Those responsible for this travesty should be severely punished. I apologize in advance if this appears to some to be over the top, but you all know how strongly I feel about everyone that has or willl someday wear the uniform of a U.S. Service-member. They serve us with dignity and HONOR and deserve no less in return. The lost "274th" got neither. I shed more than a couple tears when I saw this story today...
    Last edited by nooshinjohn; 12-09-2011 at 02:32 AM.
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"Everything we have fought for has been lost, and everything we fought against, we have become...."

...the families of the fallen troops, who had authorized the military to dispose of the remains in a respectful and dignified manner...
    Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Landfills may not be glamorous, but I would have no problem having my own ashes spread in a landfill. It's how we, as human beings, return things to the earth. So I don't really see what the fuss is about.

RT-12, CS350-LS, PSW-300, Infinity Overture 1, Monoprice RC-65i
    Adcom GFA-545II, GFA-6000, Outlaw Audio 990, Netgear NeoTV
    Denon DCM-460, DMD-1000, Sony BDP-360, Bravia KDL-40Z4100/S
    Monster AVL-300, HTS-2500 MKII

I think dumping the remains at sea would be a better choice. Having these guys remains dumped in a landfill just seems low end to me. The Commander Officer should definitely be relieved of duty over it though.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!! !

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...p?userid=73580

Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Landfills may not be glamorous, but I would have no problem having my own ashes spread in a landfill. It's how we, as human beings, return things to the earth. So I don't really see what the fuss is about.
    The piece you chose to quote is contrary to your statement. If you have never picked up a weapon and stood a post defending this nation, I suggest you watch "Saving Private Ryan", "Flag of Our Fathers", and the "Band of Brothers" series. Tell me the tens of thousands of men and women that rest at Arlington National Cemetary are just dead bodies so who cares what happens to them.

War and defending our freedoms are not an effing video game you can turn off and forget about. Real people die for those freedoms, and their remains should be afforded the highest respect and honor. Better that the ashes of the "274th" be spread among the trees and flowers of Arlington than spread amongst garbage and forgotten. I have taken to calling them the "274th Lost Souls Regiment" and they will never be forgotten by me. I intend to ask that my Congressman investigate this travesty, and if he won't, I will find one that will.
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"Everything we have fought for has been lost, and everything we fought against, we have become...."

I've said my opinion and I stand by it. You see a pile of garbage, I see a future park. Calling for resignations over this... Really?

Member Sales Rating: (37)

Quote Originally Posted by tony millard View Post
    The ashes should have respectfully been dispersed somewhere else in my opinion. My mother-in laws ashes were dispersed into the ocean surrounded by all family members to witness. It was the last her family would ever see of her phisical remains but they were remains.

Couldn't a military plane disperse the ashs over our vast country from 3,000 ft. SOMEWHERE else?

By air or at sea from an Air Force plane or Navy vessel is a great idea.
    VTL ST50 w/mods/RCA6L6GC/TlfnknECC801S
    CJPV-5 w/mods
    TT CJ Sonographe SG3 Oak/Sumiko LMT/Grado Wood Plat/Sumiko PIB2/The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020/Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9/Vibrapods/MIT Shtgn AC1 IEC's/MIT Shotgun 2 IC's/MIT Shtgn 2 Speaker
    PSAudio Cryo PwrPrt Prem/ExctPwrEP15A
    Wlnt SDA 2B TL/Oak SDA SRS II TL-Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Cust SDA ICs/Mortite/Dynamat Extreme/TFLF Rings/FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by Sherardp View Post
    I think dumping the remains at sea would be a better choice. Having these guys remains dumped in a landfill just seems low end to me. The Commander Officer should definitely be relieved of duty over it though.
    The CO should absolutely be relieved and reprimanded severely, perhaps brought up on charges for dereliction of duty. Even if we're talking only partial remains, it's still disrespectful to these Soldiers that gave all they had for this country. It's a disgrace and a slap in the face as far as I'm concerned. A small parcel of land and memorial could have been dedicated, and I as a taxpayer would have no problem with that. I do on the other hand have a problem when our dips#!t leaders in Washington hand out millions to countries like Libya, Iraq, Egypt and Afghanistan that spawn the terrorists these Soldiers fought and died protecting this nation from, and as a result, have their remains dumped in a landfill! ??? Gimme a Fn break! Like Tony Millard said, Bin Laden was given better.
    Last edited by Keiko; 12-09-2011 at 07:34 AM.

Member Sales Rating: (58)

I don't want to be scattered in a landfill but I'm not super concerned with my remains after I'm gone either. This should have and could easily have been handled in a better way. I would have personally taken those remains at my own expense and ensured a proper and honorable dispersal. This is completely unacceptable.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

I find the opening statement "is is when you know our country is NOT the greatest in the world anymore" far more insulting then a mishandling of remains. What you do with people in life is far more important then what happens when we die. Having people say where not the greatest country in the world; given credence to our enemies actions. The conflict in front of it US is growing, the Muslim spring has yielded one fundamentalist government in Tunisia, it seems all but guaranteed Egypt and Libya are going that way, Yemen could be soon behind, with Somalia still in shambles. A third of Mexico is out of government control, China is actively trying to enter with force into the first world, Putin is about to take the reigns in Russia again. The nuclear wild cards of Iran and North Korea still loom. While we might not have the battle's of WW2 the stress is still there.

Having the public ignore those things and say we have fallen as a country makes it all the harder for us to do our duty.
    Work in Progress HT
    Receiver- Yamaha RX-2700
    Mains- Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center- Polk Audio CS2 x 2
    Surrounds- Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Rear: Polk Audio Monitor 40
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW505 x 2
    Projector: Epson 8100 HC
    Screen: Visual Apex 120"
    Blu-Ray- 60 GB PS3

An absolute travesty!

Member Sales Rating: (4)

My take on this was that there were a lot of individual parts of remains, rather than relatively intact bodies. To me, that is then medical waste, rather than parts of bodies. Would it be expected that one having a limb taken off surgically be responsible for it's disposal? No, that is medical waste. Where do you think medical waste is disposed of?
    If I am correct, all bodies and body parts go through Dover. At Dover, using DNA, PARTIAL REMAINS are identified. Those remains are then sent on to the family. Sorry, but there are going to be a lot of parts left over. Should every bit of tissue be identified?! The NBC piece I saw said that over 4 years more than 2700 body parts came in, with 1000 pieces ID'd as having come from 274 service personnel. The piece only showed the AF officer's explanation for 3 seconds! Come on, that is patently inflammatory!
    To characterize this as even "mishandling" is ridiculous. Body parts ending up in a landfill is commonplace.
    Last edited by GMiller; 12-09-2011 at 11:54 AM.

Horrible. Some people have no respect.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD

[QUOTE=GMiller;1689726]My take on this was that there were a lot of individual parts of remains, rather than relatively intact bodies. To me, that is then medical waste, rather than parts of bodies. Would it be expected that one having a limb taken off surgically be responsible for it's disposal? No, that is medical waste. Where do you think medical waste is disposed of?
    If I am correct, all bodies and body parts go through Dover. At Dover, using DNA, PARTIAL REMAINS are identified. Those remains are then sent on to the family. Sorry, but there are going to be a lot of parts left over. Should every bit of tissue be identified?! The NBC piece I saw said that over 4 years more than 2700 body parts came in, with 1000 pieces ID'd as having come from 274 service personnel. The piece only showed the AF officer's explanation for 3 seconds! Come on, that is patently inflammatory!

Fair enough...But I do differ on the fact that medical waste and military war remains should be handled differently. If it is known to be military (Having served my time as well) I fell there should be a proper burial/cremation/spreading of ashes even if its a mass or group burial.

MY.02 1C

Member Sales Rating: (2)

I'm one of those people who couldn't care less what happens to my "remains" after I die. I'm dead...what does it matter?

The men and women were already honored for what they did in life, so what's the point of honoring a dead shell?

It all comes down to religion and personal preference. As shown above, plenty of people care as much about dead bodies as they do the living ones, which is fine.

I will agree that there could have been a better choice of where to put the ashes (or remains...they're not completely clear about exactly what was found), but that's not for me to decide.
    Last edited by ryanjoachim; 12-09-2011 at 12:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrNightly View Post
    "Dr Dunn admitted that his research could also be interpreted as evidence that women are shallower than men. He said: "Let's face it - there's evidence to support it."
    Quote Originally Posted by mystik610 View Post
    Best Buy is for people who don't know any better. Magnolia is for people who don't know any better and have more money to spend.
    My System:

Blu-Ray player: Samsung BD-P1600
    TV: SAMSUNG UN55B7000 55" 1080p LED HDTV

Quote Originally Posted by GMiller View Post
    My take on this was that there were a lot of individual parts of remains, rather than relatively intact bodies. To me, that is then medical waste, rather than parts of bodies.
    If all they had of these soldiers was a pinkie toe and a pubic hair from each, these remains still deserved better than a fu@#ing landfill! Let's put faces on these souls and say it was YOUR mother or father, maybe even your child or wife and this was done to them! I am willing to bet there would be outrage and lawsuits.

As I have said in an earlier post, something is fundamentally wrong with our country if so many believe as you do. I am not a religious person by any means, but I do believe that the respect and love we show our family and friends in life should be extended to them in death.

I visit the graves of my step father and both of my grand fathers every time i return to Minnesota for a visit. They are a big part of who I am and I honor them for it still. Respect for the dead and the living is one of the things that set us apart from animals. Sadly, as I look around our world these days, I think maybe he are not as civilized as we used to be. I guess when we have no respect anymore for the living, why give two sh!ts about those that have gone before us
    Last edited by nooshinjohn; 12-09-2011 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GMiller View Post
    My take on this was that there were a lot of individual parts of remains, rather than relatively intact bodies. To me, that is then medical waste, rather than parts of bodies.
    From the first line of the article:

The US Air Force dumped the cremated, partial remains...
    Ashes were dumped, not limbs and body parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Ashes were dumped, not limbs and body parts.
    Ashes are still remains of a human being. Would your attitude still be the same if this was done to someone you deeply cared about? I am willing to be that answer would be a big NO!

Even if the families did not step forward to claim them, they were the sons and daughters of a supposedly "grateful Nation"... Every American of 75 years ago would be absolutely livid over this, that their soldiers remains would be disrespected in such a horrific manner. From what I see in this thead, about 50% of us could now care less. How sad a comentary on where we are as a nation is that?

I am out on this one. God bless the 274th.

Thread Information