Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (1)

The remains be it ashes or whatever deserve better than a landfill.

The commanding officer and all involved should be ashamed of themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Smith View Post
    WOW!

That's like working your way through Katie Perry in order to get to Rosie O'Donnell.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

I guess I just wouldn't characterize this as "disrespect" in a "horrible manner", and it goes without saying everyone can have an opinion. I just wish ALL the facts were presented, rather than a brief sensationalized bit that uses emotion to stir the masses. People have enough to worry about without this crap.

I agree, a simple ceremony would have been easy. For all we know, there may have been a ceremony prior to the disposal of the medical waste. I can't see our military being as callous as you are assuming.

Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    I've said my opinion and I stand by it. You see a pile of garbage, I see a future park. Calling for resignations over this... Really?
    Resignations of those responsible, military or civilian, would not be appropriate, IMO.

No, the appropriate action would be along the lines that I envisioned for those responsible for the Walter Reed Hospital "Let "Em Care for Themselves" disgrace: High noon, middle of Pennsylvania Aveneu, blindfold (if they wish), and a firing squad.

Bad, good, or indifferent on the police actions in the Middle East, those who went and came home in a body bag or urn deserve better than a GD dump.

Nobody to claim the body/ashes ? Then GD treat them with twice the respect.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by nooshinjohn View Post
    Would your attitude still be the same if this was done to someone you deeply cared about? I am willing to be that answer would be a big NO!
    I already said I wouldn't care if my own ashes were dumped in a landfill. I do not attach the same stigma to the word "landfill" that you apparently do.

RT-12, CS350-LS, PSW-300, Infinity Overture 1, Monoprice RC-65i
    Adcom GFA-545II, GFA-6000, Outlaw Audio 990, Netgear NeoTV
    Denon DCM-460, DMD-1000, Sony BDP-360, Bravia KDL-40Z4100/S
    Monster AVL-300, HTS-2500 MKII

Quote Originally Posted by Toolfan66 View Post
    And soon it will be illegal to wave the American flag like prayer in schools!!!
    Soon it will be illegal to say "The United States", it will have to be third person referred to as "the state of being part of a larger group told what to do in any situation"

I'm sort of kidding, but we are selling our rights along with our children's future.

I'm not political, but ........it's the truth

Polk Audio SDA CRS+ (4.1TL by Trey, Larry's Rings)-
    SDA SRS2-Parasound HCA1500ax2/1000
    Yamaha xa1000-Celestion SL6S presence,- sl9 surround back
    NHTsuper1's surround
    Nad2700-sub, AdcomGFA-555 -Magnepan SMG
    Parasound 1500pre- Sofia "Baby" tube amp - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
    Marantz 2230/B&Kst140- outdoor B&W/Bose/Parasound/KefC75/c40/Polksub
    Technics 1200mk2
    Gamertag: IslandBerserker
    I am but a infinitesimally small point meeting the line of infinity in the SDA universe

nooshinjohn , sorry for my offensive post, but I stand by it. Get over it please, you don't have a lock on patriotism, we all know what is meant by what happened.
    Huh? Wot?? Dig it :tongue:

Where can I get me some??

I proudly served my country, and so did others that post here on our forum. I think that what was done to these cremated remains shows the disrespect for those that did sacrifice themselves, for the freedom we all enjoy today. I think that anyone that was part of this decision, should put on the uniform and do a tour of duty over there and see what its all about, could'nt they have buried them in Arlington. Shame on those that made this decision.

Old School

Quote Originally Posted by tony millard View Post
    The ashes should have respectfully been dispersed somewhere...
    Agree 100%... What was done is disgraceful. All those responsible for the decisions as well as the actions that led to this story have acted dishonorably. They should all be prosecuted and drummed out of the service, i.e., dishonorably discharged. Throwing up a protective wall at the Airman or Airman 1st level should not be tolerated.

The impact of this "dumping" is not upon the dead; it's upon the living. How many members of the military have learned of this practice and have come away feeling "disposable"? Even one would be too many. How many vets feel pain at the thought of fallen comrades having been literally thrown out with garbage? It seems we have some here in this thread. How many potential recruits for our all volunteer military were on the fence, but have now decided, "F*** it"?

It's easy to say how much we honor the military... how we value their service... and say "Thank you for your service", but where the rubber meets the road are actions, deeds. And while there are deeds a plenty that back up the words, they are often small scale, under publicized efforts. All it takes is one headline misdeed to negate the lot of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Toolfan66 View Post
    And soon it will be illegal to wave the American flag like prayer in schools!!!
    FYI... School prayer is not illegal. While organized, public school prayer has been ruled unconstitutional, individual prayer is permitted so long as it does not interfere with the primary functions of the school.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
    "Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

Rebuilding Maggie 2-ch & Amazing 2-ch... Building 2-ch "wall"... Figuring out the HT

Quote Originally Posted by stuwee View Post
    Although I might not have the right answer, this has been going on for centuries from every country in bad times...no excuse I know, but let's cut some slack to the folks in charge, there are many, many reasons why this might have happened, we weren't there, it's not like we all haven't had them in our thoughts and prayers all this time, that means more than where the body (just a shell of who they were here) wound up. Sorry, I never understood this whole body respect thing, it's just a body, the person is no longer with it.
    I agree. After death it is just an empty vessel, nothing more. This is similar to an old abandoned car in my opinion; and no one complains about an abandoned car being sent to the landfill. It is important how the person is treated while alive, not after death.

Quote Originally Posted by nooshinjohn View Post
    Ashes are still remains of a human being. Would your attitude still be the same if this was done to someone you deeply cared about? I am willing to be that answer would be a big NO!
    Actually, my attitude would be no different. This goes for family, friends, as well as myself. As far as I'm concerned (if it was legal), when I die you can just throw me head-first into the trash can and leave it on the curb for the trash men. I'm no longer alive or using the vessel they call my body, so it doesn't matter to me.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbigbluelight View Post
    Resignations of those responsible, military or civilian, would not be appropriate, IMO.

No, the appropriate action would be along the lines that I envisioned for those responsible for the Walter Reed Hospital "Let "Em Care for Themselves" disgrace: High noon, middle of Pennsylvania Aveneu, blindfold (if they wish), and a firing squad.

Bad, good, or indifferent on the police actions in the Middle East, those who went and came home in a body bag or urn deserve better than a GD dump.

Nobody to claim the body/ashes ? Then GD treat them with twice the respect.
    Wow, talk about a monumental overreaction. The calls for resignation that some suggest are overreacting in my opinion, but this is a whole other level. You seriously think that people should be killed over this? It sounds like you care more about dead bodies than you do about living human beings; now that is a real tragedy.

So, I guess to some of you, that cemetaries should just go away and dump everyone into the trash heap when they die ? I might be over reaching with that statement, but if you can't understand what the outcry is about over this, then you don't understand why we have cemetaries to begin with.

I find it somewhat disturbing that we have a single unknown soldiers grave under 24 hour guard, while others be it if only just parts, are dumped in landfills. Call it what you will, medical waste, whatever, is it so much to ask that all parts of those who serve be buried together ? Cremate the parts but at least put them all together in a single plot.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by BeefJerky View Post
    I agree. After death it is just an empty vessel, nothing more. This is similar to an old abandoned car in my opinion; and no one complains about an abandoned car being sent to the landfill. It is important how the person is treated while alive, not after death.

Actually, my attitude would be no different. This goes for family, friends, as well as myself. As far as I'm concerned (if it was legal), when I die you can just throw me head-first into the trash can and leave it on the curb for the trash men. I'm no longer alive or using the vessel they call my body, so it doesn't matter to me.

Wow, talk about a monumental overreaction. The calls for resignation that some suggest are overreacting in my opinion, but this is a whole other level. You seriously think that people should be killed over this? It sounds like you care more about dead bodies than you do about living human beings; now that is a real tragedy.
    People like you just don't get it and never will. Your analogy comparing a fallen Soldier to that of an abandoned car is as much of a disrespect as what happened at that landfill. The real tragedy is these guys fought and died so asshats like you have the freedom to post such absurd comments.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

A very sad story.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    So, I guess to some of you, that cemetaries should just go away and dump everyone into the trash heap when they die ? I might be over reaching with that statement, but if you can't understand what the outcry is about over this, then you don't understand why we have cemetaries to begin with.
    Actually, you are right on that one, I really don't get the point of cemeteries. The body that you are "honoring" there is just that, a body and nothing more. It is no longer the person you knew when they were alive. I think it really boils down to people's fear of death, and their unwillingness to let go and accept it.

Quote Originally Posted by Keiko View Post
    People like you just don't get it and never will. Your analogy comparing a fallen Soldier to that of an abandoned car is as much of a disrespect as what happened at that landfill. The real tragedy is these guys fought and died so asshats like you have the freedom to post such absurd comments.
    Yes, there are those who fought and died for my right to post these comments, and I am thankful for that. I truly respect the persons who did that, however, I cannot bring myself to care about a dead body. A dead body is just an empty vessel, it is no longer the person.

And I stand by my analogy.

Member Sales Rating: (7)

I don't care much about where the remains should be dumped, but our policy got to be of constant values. If we followed Islamic law to deal with Osama Bin Laden's body, why couldn't we deal with our soldiers' cremated remains by the American value? We have always given the fallen plenty of respect, so do the same for our soldiers who didn't have any relative or their relatives ignored them. After all, they're the one who sacrificed their lives to protect America.
    This is just a lazy act, there's no way to argue for it.
    Gears shared to both living room & bedroom:
    Integra DHC-80.3 / Oppo BDP-105 / DirecTV HR24 DVR /APC S15blk PC-UPS
    Living room:
    LSiM707's / LSiM706c / LSiM702 F/X's / dual JL Audio Fathom F113's / Parasound Halo A51 / Panasonic 65" TC-P65VT50
    Bedroom:
    Usher Dancer Mini 2 Diamond DMD's / Logitech SB Touch / W4S STP-SE / W4S DAC-2 / W4S ST-1000 / Samsung 52" LN52B750
    Other rooms:
    Audioengine AP4's / GLOW Audio Sub One / audio-gd NFB-3 DAC / Audioengine N22
    audio-gd NFB-10.2 / Denon AH-D7000

pepster

Actually, you are right on that one, I really don't get the point of cemeteries. The body that you are "honoring" there is just that, a body and nothing more. It is no longer the person you knew when they were alive.
    A dead body is just an empty vessel, it is no longer the person.
    Words of wisdom.
    I am PRETTY sure everyone understands the concept.
    The main reason they exist is that people show more respect for their loved ones than you do.

I find flowers on my mothers grave routinely that I have no idea of their origin.
    Shows she earned the respect of others besides her family members.
    You will never know in life the people you have touched.
    That is determined after death.

Quote Originally Posted by pepster View Post
    Words of wisdom.
    I am PRETTY sure everyone understands the concept.
    It seems that some do not.

The main reason they exist is that people show more respect for their loved ones than you do.
    Wow, that's a hell of an assumption. First, you don't know me, so you have no idea just how much respect I show towards my loved ones. I simply choose to show them respect while they are alive so that they can actually accept it and appreciate it. Second, this kind of comment shows your lack of respect for others who simply have an opinion that differs from your own.

You will never know in life the people you have touched.
    That is determined after death.
    I couldn't disagree more. If people can't, or don't, show you how much they care for and respect you while you're alive, then it is pointless to do so after death. Besides, once you're dead, you may never know of their after death honors.

pepster

People like you just don't get it and never will.
    Keiko NAILED it!

Most here have the right idea. Just a little respect would have gone a long way. No matter if it is just a "part" or ashes they should be treated with respect. Hell, most here would lose their mind if someone for no other reason than to be an ass knocked off your equipment onto the floor and it broke into bits and pieces. Why would it matter, it's not mine, why should I care. For those of you that have the, 'I could care less attitude' pm me your address so I can come over and randomly throw away your bits and pieces of gear into the dump after I smash it all over your GD floor. Then maybe you will understand.
    Everything matters. That is all.
    Money cannot buy happiness, but it sure can buy a bad ass boat to pull up along side it though.

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Quote Originally Posted by Evrythngmatters View Post
    For those of you that have the, 'I could care less attitude' pm me your address so I can come over and randomly throw away your bits and pieces of gear into the dump after I smash it all over your GD floor. Then maybe you will understand.
    Yep.... after all, if it don't work, it's just an empty shell, so who cares.

Tell me where to meet, I will supply the sledgehammer.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Everyone, from the OIC on down to the butterbars, associated with this, should be given a GD, and their VA benefits revoked.

And, IF, it's found out, that this was solely a civilian gaff, then those people should be fired, and whatever union pension $$$ they WERE entitled to, should be donated to the DAV, VFW, WWP, etc.
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!

Quote Originally Posted by BeefJerky View Post
    It seems that some do not.

Wow, that's a hell of an assumption. First, you don't know me, so you have no idea just how much respect I show towards my loved ones. I simply choose to show them respect while they are alive so that they can actually accept it and appreciate it. Second, this kind of comment shows your lack of respect for others who simply have an opinion that differs from your own.

I couldn't disagree more. If people can't, or don't, show you how much they care for and respect you while you're alive, then it is pointless to do so after death. Besides, once you're dead, you may never know of their after death honors.
    So, I'm walking along past a cemetery one day and all of a sudden, I gotta pee, real bad. I piss on one of your loved one's grave & you wouldn't give a s#!t, right? They're gone and all that's left is a decomposed corpse in the ground. Really, I mean, why would you care that I just pissed all over your mother, father, son's or daughter's grave? They're not here anymore and when ya gotta go, ya gotta go.

pepster

Just like peeing on an
    old abandoned car.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Most here have the right idea. Just a little respect would have gone a long way. No matter if it is just a "part" or ashes they should be treated with respect.
    Agreed.

Hell, most here would lose their mind if someone for no other reason than to be an ass knocked off your equipment onto the floor and it broke into bits and pieces. Why would it matter, it's not mine, why should I care. For those of you that have the, 'I could care less attitude' pm me your address so I can come over and randomly throw away your bits and pieces of gear into the dump after I smash it all over your GD floor. Then maybe you will understand.
    I have absolutely no idea what that has to do with the topic at hand.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Bottom line in ethics. If what you do today ends up on the front page next day
    how do you think it would go over?
    If everybody looked at things like that, crap like this wouldn't happen. I understand
    it was body pieces and their families had passed on dealing with it. I also understand
    that most likely there wasn't much money to deal with it. But just a little thinking
    would have made this a non-issue. Too many pass on doing the right thing for
    taking the path of least resistance. I don't give a crap what happens to my body after death
    But just a little respect would be nice. And I plan to do the same for any one else's remains.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson

Member Sales Rating: (58)

Regardless of the stance on what your body is after you perish, the disposal of the remains could have been handled better and with more respect to all the parties involved. If even one family has some serious faith issues, then it should be respected.

I don't believe in god or any of that crap but I most certainly wouldn't disrespect the wishes or just general compassion of ensuring that the remains of a loved one wasn't at the very least, taken to something other than a landfill. I'm not quite sure how someone who doesn't care about the body or afterlife would be so cold and unfeeling of others, regardless of your position.

I'm being burned like a Viking when I move on to whatever place it is, or to nothing at all....means absolutely nothing to me aside from I'd like to be on a pire, as all warriors should be. After that, party on folks, its on me....no fee at the door and bar is open.
    Last edited by dorokusai; 12-11-2011 at 01:10 AM.

Well, if ya don't mind passing on alittle early Mark....I am kinda thirsty.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Well, if ya don't mind passing on alittle early Mark....I am kinda thirsty.
    Here, here, and a couple of lusty wenches wouldn't be askin' too much now would it laddie??
    Huh? Wot?? Dig it :tongue:

Where can I get me some??

pepster

After that, party on folks, its on me....no fee at the door and bar is open.
    I smell a get together!
    I'll bring the cables!

Most here have the right idea. Just a little respect would have gone a long way. No matter if it is just a "part" or ashes they should be treated with respect. Hell, most here would lose their mind if someone for no other reason than to be an ass knocked off your equipment onto the floor and it broke into bits and pieces. Why would it matter, it's not mine, why should I care. For those of you that have the, 'I could care less attitude' pm me your address so I can come over and randomly throw away your bits and pieces of gear into the dump after I smash it all over your GD floor. Then maybe you will understand.
    This is a poor analogy. What you are describing boils down to disrespect for the living, and I do have a large problem with that. If a living person cares about something, then no, you should not damage or destroy it.

However, after I'm dead, if no one else claims my audio gear, you have my full permission to come and destroy it; I'd be dead, and wouldn't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Keiko View Post
    So, I'm walking along past a cemetery one day and all of a sudden, I gotta pee, real bad. I piss on one of your loved one's grave & you wouldn't give a s#!t, right? They're gone and all that's left is a decomposed corpse in the ground. Really, I mean, why would you care that I just pissed all over your mother, father, son's or daughter's grave? They're not here anymore and when ya gotta go, ya gotta go.
    Me? No, I wouldn't care. However, I suspect that the persons other living relatives would care, in which case, you would be disrespecting the living.

Quote Originally Posted by sucks2beme View Post
    Bottom line in ethics. If what you do today ends up on the front page next day
    how do you think it would go over?
    If everybody looked at things like that, crap like this wouldn't happen. I understand
    it was body pieces and their families had passed on dealing with it. I also understand
    that most likely there wasn't much money to deal with it. But just a little thinking
    would have made this a non-issue. Too many pass on doing the right thing for
    taking the path of least resistance.
    This is a very interesting point. In this day and age of a highly interconnected media-centric society, things you do could end up being known to many. It is something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by dorokusai View Post
    Regardless of the stance on what your body is after you perish, the disposal of the remains could have been handled better and with more respect to all the parties involved. If even one family has some serious faith issues, then it should be respected.

I don't believe in god or any of that crap but I most certainly wouldn't disrespect the wishes or just general compassion of ensuring that the remains of a loved one wasn't at the very least, taken to something other than a landfill. I'm not quite sure how someone who doesn't care about the body or afterlife would be so cold and unfeeling of others, regardless of your position.
    This is a very good point as well. If what you are doing to the dead bodies is against the wishes of their families, then you are in fact disrespecting the living family members. I will reiterate that I do have a problem with disrespecting the living.

That being said, the article gave the impression that the family members did not want anything to do with the dead bodies. So, if the families didn't care, then I'm not so sure it would be considered as disrespecting the living. However, that all depends on how accurate the article actually is; we all know that the media likes to sensationalize things.
    Last edited by BeefJerky; 12-11-2011 at 05:31 AM.

Me? No, I wouldn't care. However, I suspect that the persons other living relatives would care, in which case, you would be disrespecting the living.
    That's nice, because quite frankly, I wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire nor give 2 s#!ts about it, jerkyboy.

Thread Information