Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Totally Cornfused!

I was reading the thread on "spiking" and got intrigued. My RTi12s are on outriggers with rubber feet. They have been sitting on berber carpet, sinking in quite a bit and sounded pretty good with the new amp.

After reading, I placed them on a 20" x 20" x 7/8" inch of solid oak that I took out of our entertainment center that we bought in Germany way back.

Holy Crap! The damn things virtually disappeared. The bass was less pronounced, but tighter, mids seemed to stay about the same and the tweets tamed down.

Can anyone explain to me how this is possible? How did just doing this one little thing give them such a transparent quality?
    It's better to burn out, than poop your pants

CDM 1NT; B&W CDM CNT; Parasound HCA-1000a; Infinity us 1; Velodyne DEQ-8 x2; Pio Elite VSX-23; Sony SCD-CE595 SACD, Marantz CD5001, [/COLOR]

Maybe that's what you wanted them to do. The human mind is an amazing thing.

That is a good point. I am too lazy to change back right now, but I will. I don't think it's psychosomatic, especially in the low end. That is something you can actually feel. Spend a lot of hours in front of these and there is definitely a difference. I'M NOT CRAZY!!!...... Well, maybe a little.

CDM 1NT; B&W CDM CNT; Parasound HCA-1000a; Infinity us 1; Velodyne DEQ-8 x2; Pio Elite VSX-23; Sony SCD-CE595 SACD, Marantz CD5001, [/COLOR]

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Quote Originally Posted by decal View Post
    Maybe that's what you wanted them to do. The human mind is an amazing thing.
    Yes, especially in its ability to deny that a change might actually result in a desirable outcome.

@deronb1: It's hard to say what might have brought that about. Possibly it's a placebo effect, but more likely the speaker is better coupled or your alignment may have changed a bit. When using spikes, it's not recommended to use the pads. Those are for placing the speakers on a wood floor. Using the pads prevents the speaker from sitting properly. The spikes won't hurt the carpet, and you want them to penetrate through to the floor beneath.
    Are you part of the dirty digital peasants or a member of the great Analog Master Race?

SDA Recommended Playlist https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...FZCRkdxYXVNanc

Open for editing.

I am gonig to get some decent spikes, 1/4 - 20 if I read right. I don't have spikes now, just the fat rubbery-plastic feet on the outriggers. Will compare and check back. Thanks both for your candor.

Thread Information