Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Default LSIM 703 Vs VR3mxstyler modded LSi9s

Got the LSim703 demo's on house. been going back an forth against my modded LSi9's that Trey did. (for details on the mods http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...=ohskigod+lsi9 Yes, the Mods were extensive and ridiculous.

the gear used is in my sig under 2 channel.

Initial details so far:

the LSim703's have better upper range detail than my LSi9's, though come off more neutral where the LSi9's are warmer to listen too. Makes me enjoy them both for different reasons.

If you really dig crystal clear detail, your going to want to go with the 703's. they have a slight edge in this department. It was the first and easiest thing to point out. Easier to pick out individual instruments, Also vocalists come off as a little more front and center. While they seem more neutral and brighter than the Lsi9's, they passed my female vocal tests with flying colors. not a bit of listeners fatigue after about a half hour listening.

When I switched bak to the Modded 9's, the difference was mild, but easily noticeable. Vocals a little more laid back in the mix...the highs were less detailed though warmer. Here's where it gets weird....The first song I longed a little bit to hook the 703's back up, but after the second song I didn't miss them at all..... suddenly I remembered why I sold my AR9's in favor of the modded 9's. Even as I type I am listening to the 9's and have no overwhelming desire to hook back up the 703's. I just feel very comfortable listening to these speakers

Again to reiterate, I really like the 703's on my gear, and lord knows I spent most of my time at polkfest listening to the 703's than any other speaker there....including the flagship 707's. I like how detailed they are without going over into the bright and annoying camp. The 703's definitely dig a little deeper in the bass department than my 9's...not by much, but again enough to notice.

Anyone around here want to listen to the differences? I'd really like a second opinion. I find it confusing that the LSim703 seems like a better speaker for the reasons I thought it would be, yet I wouldn't trade them for even up for my 9's....even if Doro or anyone at Polk told me to keep the 703s if I shipped my 9's and crossovers to them....I probably wouldn't do it. And for the moment I can't figure out why that is. Meh, let me give it more time.

I can say that if My 9's got torched in a fire or stolen, I wouldn't go through the modding trouble, I would get the 703's and be happy as a clam. Even at full MSRP these things sound so nice. They get along with the room I have them in famously as well.

They are remarkably full range for a bookshelf........I might catch hell from Polk for saying this, but seriously, unless you're putting speakers in a gargantuan room, you have no need for the towers. Get the 703's and call it a day I can say from Polkfest that in a mi to small size room, the 703's are going to sound better (in a big room obviously that will be different, but we're talking a really big room here)

Also, they seem to be far less dependent on big power than the LSi9's were, the power meters on my Carver 4.0 don't move as much at same volumes with the 703's as opposed to the 9's. I Imagine if your running lighter tube power, you will still have no problem with these. I would love to test them on my Anthem Amp 1 tube amp but i have still not ben able to find a replacement fuse for them (apparently Radio Shack never carries it, the fuse value escapes me at the moment)
    Last edited by ohskigod; 12-11-2011 at 11:43 PM.
    Theater - Polk LSi15, LSiC, LSi9 speaks, DIY Sub (142.5L box, SVS plus driver, 500 Watt plate amp)...Outlaw 990 pre/pro, Carver TFM45, 2 X Outlaw M200 . Rotel RB980 . PS3, Monster 3600 power center

2 Channel -
    Anthem Pre 2l, Jolida JD100 CD player, CAL Sigma DAC, Carver m4.0, Polk LSi9 w external modified Crossovers (thanks Trey!)

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Nice review and very interesting. I haven't heard the smaller 703s, but we heard the not quite ready for prime time 707s at your place and what you say about the 703s are certainly in line with what I heard as the strengths of the 707. This also helps put Dan's (mantis's) take into perspective ("detail")--exactly what I would expect considering Dan's tastes.

Sounds like your mods did make a very "significant" difference in the LSI-9s!

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Member Sales Rating: (9)

Quote Originally Posted by ohskigod View Post
    I would love to test them on my Anthem Amp 1 tube amp but i have still not ben able to find a replacement fuse for them (apparently Radio Shack never carries it, the fuse value escapes me at the moment)
    http://www.amazon.com/3-5A-Slow-Blow...3670255&sr=8-7

Lou,

I think these are the ones you need.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Thanks for the review ohskigod! I have modded LSi9s too, and was wondering if the difference was significant. How noticeably better is the low end of the 703s?
    ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs

I wish you were located closer to me. This is a comparison I would love to hear, as well as my unmodded LSi9's versus your modded ones.

I dont think its a fair comparison,, being the 9,s are modded, Theres a big differance, To me a stock lsi9, would have better shown the advances in the new speakers advancement, if any?
    Not an Audiophile, just a dude who loves music, and decent gear to hear it with.

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by thesurfer View Post
    I dont think its a fair comparison,, being the 9,s are modded, Theres a big differance, To me a stock lsi9, would have better shown the advances in the new speakers advancement, if any?

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Better is only better, if you think it's better. Newer doesn't always mean "better." People need to quit buying speakers like they buy software or computers.

Source: Squeezebox Touch/CIA Power Supply
    DAC: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Linestage: Placette RVC Passive
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12-NSD

I have a stock pair of 9's here waiting for that (see my sig, the stock 9's are pulling surround duty in my theater), stay tuned....I just got the 703's in house yesterday, I got many more miles of testing to do and report on. I can generally say there is an improvement. You can tell they addressed some of the Lsi9's minor shortcomings (and I say that with respect, I'll always have a soft spot for the 9's and 7's)

stay tuned
    Theater - Polk LSi15, LSiC, LSi9 speaks, DIY Sub (142.5L box, SVS plus driver, 500 Watt plate amp)...Outlaw 990 pre/pro, Carver TFM45, 2 X Outlaw M200 . Rotel RB980 . PS3, Monster 3600 power center

2 Channel -
    Anthem Pre 2l, Jolida JD100 CD player, CAL Sigma DAC, Carver m4.0, Polk LSi9 w external modified Crossovers (thanks Trey!)

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by steveinaz View Post
    Better is only better, if you think it's better. Newer doesn't always mean "better." People need to quit buying speakers like they buy software or computers.
    Ha! Now that' funny right there, true to be sure, but still funny none the less...

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/3-5A-Slow-Blow...3670255&sr=8-7

Lou,

I think these are the ones you need.
    I think i need 120 volt though...will look to remind myself. Voltage be damned, I know Ratshack only has 3v or 4v and am close to rolling the dice on 3v. Input anyone?

2 Channel -

Quote Originally Posted by ohskigod View Post
    I think i need 120 volt though...will look to remind myself. Voltage be damned, I know Ratshack only has 3v or 4v and am close to rolling the dice on 3v. Input anyone?
    http://archive.anthemav.com/OldSitev1/pdf/antamp1.pdf

Look at page 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg View Post
    looks good to me, ordering!!!!

2 Channel -

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Exactly where in North Jersey? Up by New York North or Princeton North?
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

He's closer to the city than he is to Princeton.

Why? The modded LSi9s cost less...
    HT: Ninja Master LSi9s, Ninja Master LSiC, Slightly Modded LSiFXs, Modded LSi7s, Outlaw LFM-1 EX and Polk PSW125
    Outlaw 970 Preamp, Outlaw 7700 Amp, Velodyne SMS-1, Oppo BDP-83,
    2 APC H-15s and a Panamax 5400 for good measure ;)
    Stereo: DIY Alix Music Server, DODD Audio Battery Tube Buffer, Modded DAC-60 and MF V-Link (for now), DIY Silver ICs, Battery Powered Class D SDS-254 Amp, and GR-Research N2X Speakers

Member Sales Rating: (31)

As a tweaker, I would still take a pair of stock LSiM's over a modded LSi. It's a better overall design and you can tweak them further down the road if you desire.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Wow, i dont think you or that other mental giant, are getting my point, just saying, comparing something stock, to something highly modified is in the end, not a really fair comparison if you cant understand my point, which is very simple maybe we should have a spelling B.@ Toolfan66, Praedet.
    Last edited by thesurfer; 12-13-2011 at 10:03 AM. Reason: spelling
    Not an Audiophile, just a dude who loves music, and decent gear to hear it with.

Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    As a tweaker, I would still take a pair of stock LSiM's over a modded LSi. It's a better overall design and you can tweak them further down the road if you desire.

Fully agree with you on this. If you have a budget of a grand plus (for me, it was emphasis on the plus..lol) it would need to buy a pair of 9's, even used, and mod them.....just get the 703's

The detail they have is quite amazing (It's what impresses me most about the speaker. Followed by how full range it is (effortless), and then the build quality (the cabinet, the binding posts, you wont find a plastic terminal cup here kids!!!). Just looking at it you know it's the real deal before you hook a wire up to it.

The only thing that seems to still keep me pulled toward my modded 9's is the warmth they have whereas the 703's are closer to neutral.........I gravitate to warm speakers more than most around here do.

Of course, knowling I would get @ssraped on resale if tried to sell my 9's could be a factor ;-) Thank god i still love my 9's even after hearing the 703's. Something tells me a pair of 703's might be in my house way down the road.

the shear bad assery of the LSiM towers aside....I can't shake the feeling these 703's are the Gem of the line.

2 Channel -

Quote Originally Posted by mantis View Post
    Exactly where in North Jersey? Up by New York North or Princeton North?
    I'm in passaic county, in the Paterson Suburbs. 20 minutes outside of NYC (without traffic.....yeah right!!)

2 Channel -

Lol.... I also tend to like the 9's more personally as I like the warmth. I like the price/performance of modded 9's (purchased modded and used from a forum member) personally ......

Well, I tried the LSiM703s on the Anthem Amp 1....about 45-50 wpc tube power I believe?

sounds pretty darn good on the LsiM's didnt seem starved for power at all at lower and moderate listening levels. Only when i really started to ramp the volume did the amp show signs of struggling.

the LSi9's seemed to struggle with the tube amp a bit more at higher volume, like the amp had trouble controlling the woofers. bass was a little loose and flabby. the LsiM seems to be much more efficient with power use than even the modded 9....(as it is an improvement over the stock 9

I just did a review on the products page (where are the other Demo's reviews?) subject to a review so it should show up in a ouple days. left off the whole comparison aspect and reviewed it straight up. gave it a glowing review as it deserves it....this speaker really shows what Polk can do speaker wise.

2 Channel -

Member Sales Rating: (27)

Awesome Lou!

Have you tried swapping your midbass drivers from bottom to top? If not, give that a shot and report back! :)
    www.Vr3Mods.com ///// www.Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro

Quote Originally Posted by VR3 View Post
    Awesome Lou!

Have you tried swapping your midbass drivers from bottom to top? If not, give that a shot and report back! :)
    I know I shouldn't be digging up year old threads, but I too am curious to know what happened. :)

Member Sales Rating: (27)

Wow, time machine!
    www.Vr3Mods.com ///// www.Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro

Quote Originally Posted by VR3 View Post
    Wow, time machine!
    I know. I know. :)

But it's only a year old thread Not like it's 10 years old.

Thread Information