Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Powering up AVR and Amp

Hey everyone,

I just got my B&K ST2140 and I'm going to be setting it up tonight. I see it has the low voltage I/O control input, and my AVR has an output. Is this a good way to power up and off the amp every time? I've read the proper way to turn on an amp is to power it on after your preamp, and power it down before you turn off your preamp. Obviously using this method, the AVR would be turning off before the amp. Is this ok? I don't mind turning them each on and off separately, but if I can add the convenience, why not?

If it is ok, do I just use a 1/8" mono jack? Or can I use a stereo 1/8" jack? I have the stereo, but I can stop at radio shack and pick up a mono if I have to.

Please pardon the newb questions, as this is my first time ever dealing with an amp.
    AVR - Yamaha Aventage RX-A800
    Amps - B&K Components ST2140 (for mains) and Parasound HCA-1000A (bi-amping center)
    Mains - RT1000i Towers
    Center - CS400i
    Sub - BIC Acoustech PL200

My neighbors listen to very good music, whether they like it or not

Member Sales Rating: (2)

AKA, a 12V trigger. I've used a stereo cable and it worked fine. Don't know if other amp/AVR combos are more particular, but if the electrical signal can make it from one unit to the other, you'll be fine.
    7.1 - polk RTi10 x 3 (LCR) : FXi3 x 2 : RTi4 x 4 : MFW-15 (RIP): Yamaha Aventage RX-A1000 : Adcom GFA-7500 : PS3 : Squeezebox Touch : DIRECTV : Panasonic PT-AX200U PJ @120"
    5.1 - Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 x 4 : ProCenter 1000 : Klipsch Sub-10 : Onkyo TX-SR575 : DIRECTV HR22 DVR : LG 50PQ30 HDTV
    Garage Duty - polk Monitor 10s : Pioneer A-717 Integrated Amp : Squeezebox Classic

Alright, I picked up a mono 1/8 to 1/8 and that works for the 12V trigger. Is it ok that I here a little pop as the amp powers down every time I turn the system off? It's just very faint, but I don't want to damage my speakers.
    Amps - B&K Components ST2140 (for mains) and Parasound HCA-1000A (bi-amping center)
    Mains - RT1000i Towers
    Center - CS400i

Since you described it as "very faint," I'd say it's probably nothing to worry about. First impressions with the amp?
    7.1 - polk RTi10 x 3 (LCR) : FXi3 x 2 : RTi4 x 4 : MFW-15 (RIP): Yamaha Aventage RX-A1000 : Adcom GFA-7500 : PS3 : Squeezebox Touch : DIRECTV : Panasonic PT-AX200U PJ @120"
    5.1 - Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 x 4 : ProCenter 1000 : Klipsch Sub-10 : Onkyo TX-SR575 : DIRECTV HR22 DVR : LG 50PQ30 HDTV
    Garage Duty - polk Monitor 10s : Pioneer A-717 Integrated Amp : Squeezebox Classic

Yes, very faint. It does it even if I power the amp off first. Just a quick "ziiippp" and not even a real pop.

And wowww! Ive been missing out. I couldn't be happier. 280 watts RMS drives the pair RT1000is effortlessly, and the clarity is just amazing. Its not that I can drive them louder now, but I can hear everything. Between snares, chords, and background voices, it feels like Im almost listening to every song for the first time now. I'm trying to get my hands on a good mono amp for my center, although the RX-A800 does drive it pretty nice since its the only speaker being driven off the AVR. The B&K and Yamaha is a good combo.
    Mains - RT1000i Towers
    Center - CS400i

Congrats! Pretty much my experience when I first amped up. Now, sit back and enjoy!

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Welcome to the world of separate amplification, you will never be able to go back just a receiver!
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by rengnath View Post
    Yes, very faint. It does it even if I power the amp off first. Just a quick "ziiippp" and not even a real pop.

And wowww! Ive been missing out. I couldn't be happier. 280 watts RMS drives the pair RT1000is effortlessly, and the clarity is just amazing. Its not that I can drive them louder now, but I can hear everything. Between snares, chords, and background voices, it feels like Im almost listening to every song for the first time now. I'm trying to get my hands on a good mono amp for my center, although the RX-A800 does drive it pretty nice since its the only speaker being driven off the AVR. The B&K and Yamaha is a good combo.
    Congrats, it's addicting isn't it ?

Your experience brings up a good point. Before your ready to kick your current speakers down the road, or before you complain about them not sounding good, feed them properly to get a better idea of what they are capable of. Enjoy.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

He he he...now go get a preamp instead of the AVR and you'll hear a little more. I remember my first exp. going to a dedicated amp and it was worth it. Then the pre was another step up. Now on amp #2 and digging it even more than the first. With that B&K you should be happy for a while. I'm thinking my next amp will be a B&K.
    Speakers:SDA2a, sub:Atlantic Technologies 172 PBM
    Pre:B&K PRO-10MC(2ch)
    Amps:Parasound HCA 1000a
    SourcesOppo DV-970HD, Xbox360, Kenwood KT-5300
    Cables:Philips/RCA/Monster

Life's short, Listen to SDA's
    Life is short live Sui Juris
    Where did SOPA go?

I think Ill do a nice preamp and amp setup for some Monitor 7cs I have. They would be nice in a small 2 channel system with some clean power behind them :)
    Mains - RT1000i Towers
    Center - CS400i

Thread Information