Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Default Any scotch drinkers?

I'm not but want to pick up a bottle as a thank you gift for a buddy who helped me out on something. What's good? Not looking to break the bank, $20-30 would be nice.

Member Sales Rating: (11)

A 750ml Johhnie Walker Black Label should fit in that budget. Its a common scotch, and not going to win you any awards for being special, but a good staple.

Member Sales Rating: (9)

Not sure that you can pick up a bottle of JWB for much less than $40. I'd recommend something like glenlivet, macallan 12, or glenfidich. if you do find Johnnie Black in your price range and the others I've mentioned are too much, that's a fine choice.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Bevmo has a special going on for Glenfidich, 15 yr single malt, Solera Reserve for $39 - and it scores vg in The Complete Guide to Single Malt Scotch.

They are also selling the Glenlivet 15 yr single malt, French Oak Reserve for $38 (I have this one - vg as well)

That would be my 2cent recommendation.
    Last edited by Erik Tracy; 12-30-2011 at 05:03 PM.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg View Post
    Not sure that you can pick up a bottle of JWB for much less than $40. I'd recommend something like glenlivet, macallan 12, or glenfidich. if you do find Johnnie Black in your price range and the others I've mentioned are too much, that's a fine choice.
    I believe the Macallan 12 is about 50 bucks. I got my bro-in-law a bottle of Macallan 15 for xmas... which he of course shared. Very good stuff.
    2-Channel:

Source 1: PC
    Source 2: Rega Apollo CDP
    USB > SPDIF Converter: Stello U3
    DAC: Audio GD NFB-7
    Preamp: Audio Research LS-15
    Power Amp: BAT VK-500
    Speakers: Magnepan 3.7's

HT:

Source 1: HTPC
    Source 2: Oppo 103
    Pre/Pro: Marantz av8003
    Power Amp: Rotel RMB-1095
    Fronts: LSiM-705's
    Center: LSiM-704c
    Surrounds: LSiM-702's
    Subs: Dual SVS PC12-NSD's

Quote Originally Posted by falconcry72 View Post
    I believe the Macallan 12 is about 50 bucks. I got my bro-in-law a bottle of Macallan 15 for xmas... which he of course shared. Very good stuff.
    15 yr old single malts are, to me, the 'sweet spot'. If you shop around you can find some decent values.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Definitely NOT a Scotch expert. Only thing I personally know is that turpentine is preferrable to drinking Cutty Sark.
    Diddling around the internet, though, found a guy who has an intense interest in Scotch, and posts his findings on a lot of different brands:

http://www.maltmadness.com/malt-whis...y.html#TopList

He also has a list of those Scotchs he finds as duds:
    "All sub-standard malts I encounter end up on The Sh*t List to be mocked and ridiculed for all eternity.

http://www.maltmadness.com/malt-whisky/bad-whisky.html

Like his attitude; not sure of his qualifications, but .... like his attitude.

That site has a nice "Search" function, too.
    Last edited by mrbigbluelight; 12-30-2011 at 05:47 PM.
    MrBigBlueLight
    Usually right, but sometimes not entirely factually correct.
    Shifting to Plan B

Member Sales Rating: (47)

I don't know of any scotch drinker getting pissed when given a bottle of Glenlevit,,,certainly not me,,but that's just my humble opinion.Your gesture is to be commended.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

Member Sales Rating: (37)

I went to a scotch tasting at a local restaurant and found that I preferred Glenlevit, Macellan, and Glenfiddich in that order.

Member Sales Rating: (24)

We all chip in to buy our team physician a bottle of scotch every year. This year he went way above and beyond and sacraficed a lot of time for us so we went with a 1.75L bottle of Johnnie Wlaker Blue Label. He was ecstatic; but it doesn't fir your price tag.

FWIW, his favorite "cheap" scotch is Glenlivet and occassionally chivas. Those would fit your need quite nicely I would guess.

Member Sales Rating: (9)

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Tracy View Post
    Bevmo has a special going on for Glenfidich, 15 yr single malt, Solera Reserve for $39 - and it scores vg in The Complete Guide to Single Malt Scotch.
    That's one of my all time favorites, and one of the best values in scotch ever.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I'd go with Dewars.
    Good drink in the price range you specified

I've had some not so found memories of Johhnie Walker Red, like Skynyrd said Poision whiskey, go with the glenfidich that way the doctor wont shake his head.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Not to sound out of line but your price range isn't really going to get a "good" bottle of scotch.
    Close to, i would go with an Oban 14yr old. The suggested MacCallen 12 is again, close to what you are looking for and pretty good.

Or just get some Dewars and call it a day
    Call the Doctor!!...McGillicuddy that is! He fixes everything and makes your breathe sparkle!!
    2.0 - Zu Audio Omen MK-1B's, Peachtree Decco65 ,Zu Mission SC's, Audio Technica TT, Bugle2 & Bottlehead Reduction Phono Pre's, PS Audio UPC200, Doug's Int's
    HT - Anthem MRX300, RTIA3's, RTIA1's, CSIA4, DSW400, 55ST30, APC H15, 360 Elite, Panny DMP-BD35K

Looking for new homes....
    MIT EXp2 Cables
    Anthem MCA20

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Glenlivet and Glenfiddich are usually fairly inexpensive for the 8 year old stuff. 12 year old stuff can get pricey if it's not a blend. Blends are OK but the single malts are so much better.

Stay away from Dewars and other cheap brands. Johnnie Walker is kind of the "I'm not a scotch drinker scotch." Lotsa people knee-jerk recommend it but it's not my favorite. Not by far.

If your friend is a scotch drinker and experienced then go and find a bottle with a name you can't pronounce and get the one you can afford!

Otherwise, Glenfiddich is honestly your best bet. That's my favorite in the affordable realm. 8, 10 or 12 year. Get the oldest one that fits your budget. It's honestly one of my favorites in the "holy geez, that much?!" realm too 'cause Glenfiddich and Glenlivet both have 21 year olds that are just lovely. Like the Polk Audio of scotch, they are fightin' a bit above their weight class.
    You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!

Sheew. None for me thanks. I prefer vodka and gin. Lately Ive been wussing out and drinking Smirnoff's raspberry vodka when I want to get toasted. Was picking some up at the liquor store this evening and they were giving small free samples of some scotch. I figured Id try it and my sinus cavity is still opened! My God that stuff's strong.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D

Quote Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
    Sheew. None for me thanks. I prefer vodka and gin. Lately Ive been wussing out and drinking Smirnoff's raspberry vodka when I want to get toasted. Was picking some up at the liquor store this evening and they were giving small free samples of some scotch. I figured Id try it and my sinus cavity is still opened! My God that stuff's strong.
    I thought for sure, with a name like yours, you'd chime in with an obscure but affordable single malt!

Nothing wrong with clear sinuses!

I dont know what my problem is but maybe its that Im getting wimpy in my old age but Im liking flavored stuff like lime twisted gin or the raspberry vodka as opposed to the hard stuff.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Damn, cant believe I got this many responses. Must be a bunch of "alchies"(sp?) like me. Glad I'm a rum drinker. This scotch sh!t can get spendy. Ended up getting a bottle of JW Black, on sale for $35. Don't know how good it is but my bud seemed happy.
    Thanks for the advise fellas. Have a Happy New Year and be safe!!

Thread Information