Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Dowload sales exceed physical sales

One day I have to get with the program and buy a music server that can play high-res files so I can be a part of this trend. Granted, the sales that made this event were mostly low-res files, but that doesn't change what is occurring in how music will be distributed in the future. Record companies must love the fact they no longer have to pay for physical media, packaging, distribution, returns, etc. if they only provide downloads. More money for the executives!!!

http://money.cnn.com/2012/01/05/tech....htm?hpt=hp_t3

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    More money for the executives!!!
    ...and even less for the artists. How long you think that recipe will continue to make bread until the record company gets booted out of the equation all together ? Just a matter of time. Record companies seem hell bent on cutting of their noses to spite their face.

However, the end of the article makes a good point about people today not careing if they own anything or not. A boost to online music services. Which for me works. Just about anything I want to listen to is available on Rhapsody, so why buy it ?
    Last edited by tonyb; 01-05-2012 at 04:00 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Why not buy it? If it's not lossless it doesn't get purchased in this house, simple as that.

I'm basically mostly an Apple consumer at this point, but they don't get a dime of my money through iTunes because I'm not paying for compressed music, simple as that.

I actually don't care about owning a physical disc, I just want high quality audio. If more sites like HDTracks existed and I could buy hi rez or at least lossless CD quality albums from them and they're price fairly I'd do that in a heartbeat, I have no qualms about needing physical media because all i do is rip to lossless then toss the CD on storage anyway, so if someone wants to save me the step and give me the lossless files then great.

As it stands now though, I do all my shopping on HDTracks and at the record shop or Amazon.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (13)

That report doesn't seem to jive with the RIAA info and what that report doesn't mention is that physical sales still net considerably more money for the record companies.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    ...and even less for the artists. How long you think that recipe will continue to make bread until the record company gets booted out of the equation all together ? Just a matter of time. Record companies seem hell bent on cutting of their noses to spite their face.
    A few months ago I bought a CD, This Train by Chyrsta Bell, from her web site. I got the impression she is the one, not a record company, selling it. In addition to the CD, she offers it for sale in various download formats. By buying the CD, I received a free download, so I chose the Apple Lossless format. I was listening to the CD that night on my iPod/Wadia, and it was a week later before the physical CD arrived.

http://chrystabell.com/

Thread Information