Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Default Anthem's new MRX AVR's.

These all do look very nice indeed. And for Anthem to include their acclaimed ARC program and at their price point is outstsnding. I need to do some homework. Might just be time for an upgrade.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR
    D>SONIC M2-600M mono's / mains
    Rotel RMB-1095 / 5 channel amp
    Rotel RMB-1075 / 5 channel amp
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.
    Def Tech ProMonitor 1000 / front & rear presence
    Velodyne SPL-1200R subs / dual pair
    DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 sub EQ
    Equitech Balanced Power Son of Q 1.5R
    Extensive room treatments

Member Sales Rating: (0)

AVS forums' thread on the Anthems:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1289533

Member Sales Rating: (19)

Very nice, however no 7.1 analog inputs for the SACD player or SACD decoding is a disappointment.
    DKG999
    -----------------------------------------
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC

Member Sales Rating: (1)

For a receiver your not going to do any serious sacd listening I would imagine? I have on a few occasions listened to the mrx receivers and I have to say they sound fantastic. I am swinging by my anthem dealer today who is going to perform the ARC upgrade to my anthem avm40 pre and its cost me a whopping $852 after tax just to add ARC. If you are thinking about the avm and mrx receiver then bear in mind that there is no ARC upgrades available anymore. The upgrade has been discontinued by anthem and I was just lucky to get my ARc because there was one left that took em two days to find

If your not going to add a power amp then go for the mrx700 because it has a massive power supply thats different from the 500. I could not believe my ears when I heard the 700 compaired to the 500 because it sounded like a 500 with a power amp. You could go for the mrx300 if your adding a power amp but you loose the dynamic volume feature and some kinda usb input? Try have a listen as the sound is truely different from my pioneer elite vsx .The tone is really transparent and the bass has great definition witch is what I look for with my movies. However when you think of a new mrx700 retailing for $2k new compaired to an anthem avm50 with ARC then the 50 I have been told will wipe out the receiver when it comes to sound quality .This is due to the mrx receivers only having one of anthem dsp chipsets where as the avm series has 2 that means double the number crunching for the combo of coherent dialogue when there is alot of action going down at the same time.

You can snag an anthem mrx300 for $750 and wont loose a penny on resale because its not a mass produced machine and no online dealers so its a great item. I think the MRX receiver have a great feature like the avm and d2 series where you can have the option to do 2 ARC calibrations ...one is for the HT setup and a seperate ARC calibration just for music so it a really imporatant feature for me because I dont want to F with arc when I want the best for music and movies.

Many users of ARC the own an AVM and MRx have stated that an anthem MRX with ARC will sound better than an AVM pre without ARC so thats somthing to consider if you pay $750 for a used MRX300

Quote Originally Posted by polkfarmboy View Post
    For a receiver your not going to do any serious sacd listening I would imagine? I have on a few occasions listened to the mrx receivers and I have to say they sound fantastic. I am swinging by my anthem dealer today who is going to perform the ARC upgrade to my anthem avm40 pre and its cost me a whopping $852 after tax just to add ARC. If you are thinking about the avm and mrx receiver then bear in mind that there is no ARC upgrades available anymore. The upgrade has been discontinued by anthem and I was just lucky to get my ARc because there was one left that took em two days to find

If your not going to add a power amp then go for the mrx700 because it has a massive power supply thats different from the 500. I could not believe my ears when I heard the 700 compaired to the 500 because it sounded like a 500 with a power amp. You could go for the mrx300 if your adding a power amp but you loose the dynamic volume feature and some kinda usb input? Try have a listen as the sound is truely different from my pioneer elite vsx .The tone is really transparent and the bass has great definition witch is what I look for with my movies. However when you think of a new mrx700 retailing for $2k new compaired to an anthem avm50 with ARC then the 50 I have been told will wipe out the receiver when it comes to sound quality .This is due to the mrx receivers only having one of anthem dsp chipsets where as the avm series has 2 that means double the number crunching for the combo of coherent dialogue when there is alot of action going down at the same time.

You can snag an anthem mrx300 for $750 and wont loose a penny on resale because its not a mass produced machine and no online dealers so its a great item. I think the MRX receiver have a great feature like the avm and d2 series where you can have the option to do 2 ARC calibrations ...one is for the HT setup and a seperate ARC calibration just for music so it a really imporatant feature for me because I dont want to F with arc when I want the best for music and movies.

Many users of ARC the own an AVM and MRx have stated that an anthem MRX with ARC will sound better than an AVM pre without ARC so thats somthing to consider if you pay $750 for a used MRX300
    I'm not concerned with the multi channel inputs as far as SACD is concerned...I never boarded that train. Serious listening can be obtained without a library of SACD's. You're right about the MRX 300, the only thing it gives up compared to the 500/700 models is a flash drive, internet radio, HD radio (the 300 has Dolby Volumn just like the 500/700) & of course amp power. Now of which are of any importance to me. What's more important is that all 3 models have the same preamp, DSP processing, & ARC. I have a Rotel RMB-1095 multi channel amp so power isn't an issue. I like what Anthem has done in keeping the guts the same on all 3 units. Not like other manuf. that offer supposedly better sound as you go up the ladder with their models. Then they pack on the bells & whistles & charge a preminum for them. I like things simple.

According to Anthem the ARC in the MRX AVR's isn't as powerful as what's in the AVM 50 & the D2 but they conceeded that it's not too far off though. I found that interesting. You're getting a whole lot of bang for the buck it seems.

Reading on other forums the one steady positive is that once one experiences movies & music with ARC engaged there is no turning back! Apparently it is that good of a feature. The more I read up on these MRX AVR's the more my interest is peaked. Things are getting interesting for sure.

Good luck with your ARC upgrade!!!!
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.

pearsoll001,
    Don't know if you saw this in the April/May issue of Sound & Vision mag.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...eiver?page=0,0

Quote Originally Posted by GZ View Post
    pearsoll001,
    Don't know if you saw this in the April/May issue of Sound & Vision mag.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...eiver?page=0,0
    Thanks for the link. I must have missed that one. Pretty much says what I've read from other mags...just a flat out great piece of gear.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Made in China kills it for me...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Quote Originally Posted by nooshinjohn View Post
    Made in China kills it for me...
    What about your ML center channel? Is it ok for that to be made in china ?

Member Sales Rating: (27)

That looks a Pioneer Elite, I could be wrong - very similar in layout
    www.Vr3Mods.com ///// www.Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro

Quote Originally Posted by Vr3MxStyler2k3 View Post
    That looks a Pioneer Elite, I could be wrong - very similar in layout
    The sound is very different from my pioneer elite and you have to take a good look at it up close to really admire the design

Member Sales Rating: (8)

I absolutely love my Anthem integrated amp, and if I were to get back into HT (no plans to in the near future) I'd give the Anthem AVRs a good hard look.
    Last edited by Rick88; 12-01-2011 at 12:37 AM.
    "Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music." ~ Ronald Reagan

"I love songs about horses, railroads, land, Judgment Day, family, hard times, whiskey, courtship, marriage, adultery, separation, murder, war, prison, rambling, damnation, home, salvation, death, pride, humor, piety, rebellion, patriotism, larceny, determination, tragedy, rowdiness, heartbreak and love. And Mother. And God." ~ Johnny Cash

Member Sales Rating: (17)

Quote Originally Posted by polkfarmboy View Post
    The sound is very different from my pioneer elite and you have to take a good look at it up close to really admire the design
    In what way is it different from the Pioneer Elite SC series?

I have a MRX 500 paired with my RTi12s, CSi5 and FXi3s. Wow, what a difference ARC made in warming the brightness of my RTis!

Member Sales Rating: (14)

IMO the NAD series sounds much better. Pioneer Elite IMO also sounds better. I'm not a huge Anthem fan , it's a nice receiver with nice features and ARC but I'm not blown away.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Thread Information