Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Ripping a BluRay that you've purchased for your own use is not legal? Why not? I thought Congress passed a law that says you can rip anything as long as you're not distributing it?
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

As you can see from below, the HDtracks 96/24 version of Hotel California is inferior (imho) to my old CD. Why? Heavily compressed, the song Hotel California had a Dynamic Range of 15 on my old CD but 10 on the new HDtracks version. As you can also see the HDtracks version is a bad case of the "loudness war", i.e. it is a lot louder (people will interpret that is punchier and clearer) and heavily clipped/distorted. HDtracks claims no knowledge about the products they sell.

foobar2000 1.1.16 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2012-11-19 14:09:26

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Eagles / Hotel California
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR15 -2.48 dB -20.88 dB 6:32 01-Hotel California
    DR13 -3.64 dB -20.10 dB 5:05 02-New Kid in Town
    DR15 -1.10 dB -19.42 dB 4:47 03-Life in the Fast Lane
    DR13 -5.56 dB -23.03 dB 4:55 04-Wasted Time
    DR11 -8.73 dB -26.29 dB 1:24 05-Wasted Time (Reprise)
    DR13 -4.82 dB -21.04 dB 4:10 06-Victim of Love
    DR15 -5.47 dB -25.32 dB 3:59 07-Pretty Maids All in a Row
    DR13 -4.03 dB -20.54 dB 5:12 08-Try and Love Again
    DR13 -3.28 dB -21.88 dB 7:27 09-The Last Resort

Number of tracks: 9
    Official DR value: DR14

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 16
    Bitrate: 779 kbps
    Codec: WMA
    ================================================== ==============================

vs.

foobar2000 1.1.16 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2012-11-19 14:10:11

Analyzed: Eagles / Hotel California

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR10 0.00 dB -11.95 dB 6:31 01-Hotel California
    DR9 0.00 dB -11.30 dB 5:04 02-New Kid In Town
    DR9 0.00 dB -10.85 dB 4:46 03-Life In The Fast Lane
    DR10 0.00 dB -13.67 dB 4:55 04-Wasted Time
    DR11 -0.80 dB -17.14 dB 1:24 05-Wasted Time: Reprise
    DR8 0.00 dB -10.46 dB 4:10 06-Victim Of Love
    DR12 0.00 dB -14.91 dB 3:59 07-Pretty Maids All In A Row
    DR9 0.00 dB -11.06 dB 5:10 08-Try And Love Again
    DR9 0.00 dB -13.35 dB 7:32 09-The Last Resort

Number of tracks: 9
    Official DR value: DR10

Samplerate: 96000 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 24
    Bitrate: 2666 kbps
    Codec: FLAC

Click image for larger version

Name:	HD - Hotel California.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	77594Click image for larger version

Name:	Hotel California.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	77595

Member Sales Rating: (31)

Here's a nice comparison between the Deftones new release on CD and hi res.

http://www.sharinglungs.com/index.php?topic=19943.0

Name:  ama5uram.jpg
Views: 2338
Size:  126.6 KB
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Boy that site is definitely a gathering of audio junkies who can't spell of speak English
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

Quote Originally Posted by AsSiMiLaTeD View Post
    Given the choice between a blu ray audio disc which I can not (legally anyway) rip and a digital download that I can copy to any of my devices and play in any room in my house at, say, $15 and $20 respectively I'll fladly pay the extra $5 for the digital download.

I would do the same for a CD. If iTunes would sell lossless CD quality versions of their music I'd be all over that, and would gladly pay an extra couple bucks per CD for that convenience. As it stands, they sell compressed garbage and haven't seen a dime of my money.
    Thats something I was hoping they would do years ago when they where talking about Itunes Plus. When I learned it was only 256k , I was very disappointed. They could easily offer High rez files of all their music if available. They are the online Giants of music and should off this. I feel they are missing out on the pennies spent on others sites like HD Tracks.
    Yeah I know they have over 100 Billion in the bank cash on hand but why not add to it with something many of us would buy? Also Charge for a Itunes upgrade to a Auto Switching out over the Midi controls , this is something Automator could do pretty easily. I could write it.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by nspindel View Post
    Ripping a BluRay that you've purchased for your own use is not legal? Why not? I thought Congress passed a law that says you can rip anything as long as you're not distributing it?
    This is kind of a murky area, but from my understanding you likely have the right to rip a blu ray for your own use. Congress has said very little on the issue except that it is illegal to make and distribute software that defeats the copyright protections.

Boy that site is definitely a gathering of audio junkies who can't spell of speak English
    Maybe because it's not their first language.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

So it is better to bu CD.

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Quote Originally Posted by mantis View Post
    Thats something I was hoping they would do years ago when they where talking about Itunes Plus. When I learned it was only 256k , I was very disappointed. They could easily offer High rez files of all their music if available. They are the online Giants of music and should off this. I feel they are missing out on the pennies spent on others sites like HD Tracks.
    Yeah I know they have over 100 Billion in the bank cash on hand but why not add to it with something many of us would buy? Also Charge for a Itunes upgrade to a Auto Switching out over the Midi controls , this is something Automator could do pretty easily. I could write it.
    Agreed on all, I've never spent a dime in iTunes, and I'm an apple guy these days. Forget about hi Rez, if they just gave me lossless cd quality I'd very likely buy all my music there.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Quote Originally Posted by sagasa View Post
    So it is better to bu CD.
    Not necessarily. The example above that Face posted (#63), would be a case where you would not want to buy the CD.
    2.1: Peachtree DAC●iT>Yaqin MC-10L w/6CA7-EH, Voskhod 6N1P-EV>polkaudio RT25i, PSW202

5.1: ATI HD5850 HDMI Bitstreaming>Denon AVR-1910>polkaudio RT7, CS350-LS, RT3, PSW505, Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Quote Originally Posted by Tbone289 View Post
    Not necessarily. The example above that Face posted (#63), would be a case where you would not want to buy the CD.
    The issue is, how do make the decision?

Member Sales Rating: (6)

As you can see from below, the HDtracks 96/24 version of Hotel California is inferior (imho) to my old CD.
    so no the cd version would be better

Hello!
    Sorry for my poor english but i'm not french.

For information a good vinyl rip can't exceed 20 000 Herz because the bandwith of vinyl and even CD is between 20 and 20 000 Herz !

More info :
    http://www.bhmag.fr/tests-dossiers/s...finition-13193

sorry : i'm french

The music industry is parasitic in nature, similarly politics is parasitic in nature. Apparently it is too much to expect honor and integrity from parasites.

I personally haven't fallen for the hype as I am perfectly happy with my 192kbps or 320kbps bitrate files.

You're missing out on a lot if that's your preference.

My understanding is the ripping is not illegal, its the breaking of the encryption you must do first in order to rip and play the data on the BluRay that is illegal.

We should start compiling a list of poor recordings over at HDTracks. I've bought several good albums from them, but have bought a couple poor recordings as well. I'll start the crap list with the following 2, both are 24/96 and both are (still) very poor recordings.

Nirvana - Nevermind
    Metallica - Metallica
    Firstly iam very pleased to have discovered this article by "nspindel" i had been troubled by the quality of much of the music i have been listening too and having spent a fair few quid on a half decent desktop system was wondering what was going wrong.
    the more detail you can reveal just increases the problem of shoddy recordings.
    Coming to Metallica - Metallica i iam shocked you find this to be a poor recording, i believe this to be one of the best i have.
    After reading nspindel's post i went and downloaded Audacity to start analysing my own music files reassuring was the fact the waveform/clipping and frequency chart all backed up what my ears were telling me, lots of recordings (or at least what is available to download is poor)
    Below is the graphics from Audacity and by what i have understood this meets the criteria for a good and in my opinion a very good file.Name:  Screen shot 2013-06-22 at 09.35.12AM.jpg
Views: 1117
Size:  350.8 KB

Would be great to hear from you and see what you or others think, would truly like to get a better understanding of all this.and hope that as more and more people realise that the quality of the music they are buying is not the best that can be delivered we can call for a change to be made and get to enjoy the music as it should be.
    Finally i wish i had never given up on vinyl, i enjoyed music the most when i spun the black stuff.

Seems if HDTracks and others had a simple user review for downloaded songs that could solve a lot of headache.
    Down
    RTiA9 - CSiA6 - FXiA6 - Dual HSU VTF-15H
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

Up
    LSi9 LSiC - RX-V3000

RT5000p Waiting in the Wings...

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector 24 View Post
    Seems if HDTracks and others had a simple user review for downloaded songs that could solve a lot of headache.
    Would be very helpful, here are some lists out there but most are short and i rarely see music that interests me.

Sad thing is there must be some great recordings out there but its finding them and also the quality should have been there before

someone started jiggering about with it.

Spin the 33 1/3

Playing devils advocate here and a different thread but don't vinyl recordings have their own issues? Ie who and when released the album, how it was mastered, quality of the pressing etcetera??

I'm reminded of the recent Beatles re-releases where several commented on how the original vinyl sounded better.
    Down
    RTiA9 - CSiA6 - FXiA6 - Dual HSU VTF-15H
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

Up
    LSi9 LSiC - RX-V3000

RT5000p Waiting in the Wings...

I do the same, on the average $1 a piece.

I agree they should have a quality rating system stating what it is and what to expect considering the sources that had to be used or was available. It's like copying a VHS using blue-ray the source is as good as you are going to get.

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    I buy mostly used cd's so I'm not out that much when I am disappointed in the recording.

H9

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector 24 View Post
    Playing devils advocate here and a different thread but don't vinyl recordings have their own issues? Ie who and when released the album, how it was mastered, quality of the pressing etcetera??

I'm reminded of the recent Beatles re-releases where several commented on how the original vinyl sounded better.
    Sure do, what format doesn't ? Quality of a recording in any format isn't guaranteed. Pays to pay attention to some reviews before plunking down the coin.

Yeah, but with CDs or vinyl I can at least slip it to get some of my money back, can't do that with HDTracks.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Yeah, but with CDs or vinyl I can at least slip it to get some of my money back, can't do that with HDTracks.
    Good point....and very true which is why physical media still has it's worth.

Why can't I sell my HD Tracks. I have some albums that costs $20 for the 24/96Khz version. Nothing stopping me from selling that and simply removing it from my collection.
    So hot it burns twice

Quote Originally Posted by Habanero Monk View Post
    Why can't I sell my HD Tracks. I have some albums that costs $20 for the 24/96Khz version. Nothing stopping me from selling that and simply removing it from my collection.
    Read the EULA from HDTracks, while I haven't read it myself I'm sure it'll say something to the effect that you can't sell your copies...
    Main HT

Bedroom System

Office Rig

Read the EULA from HDTracks, while I haven't read it myself I'm sure it'll say something to the effect that you can't sell your copies...
    HD tracks doesn't setup the sale as a license. There is nothing in their Terms and Conditions about license for use. You own the track. I generally won't enter into a license other than the obvious one of copyright that applies to any purchase anyways.
    So hot it burns twice

Thread Information